The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right- I'm looking for your undesirable saddles! Those with broken trees, seats ripped off, cruddy beat up no-name saddles, etc! The ones that have been stomped on, dragged across the driveway, and rode to heck and back. I'm looking into taking these guys apart and "experimenting" on them, so basically anything that you don't want to subject the greater horse population to by using or selling.

I'm more than willing to cover your USPS shipping expenses, and perhaps a bit extra for the right saddles. Rest assured, anything deemed unsafe (broken tree, etc) will have flaps/billets cut off and disposed of properly when I'm done so some poor, unfortunate equine does not have the mispleasure of coming into contact with it. Comment or PM if you have something that may fit the bill- English saddles are what I'm really looking for, but I'd be interested in western as well if I can get them cheap enough!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious...what exactly do you mean by 'experimenting' on them?
Basically taking them apart, investigating the inner workings of the saddle, what it's made of, and how it's put together. Something I've wanted to do for awhile, but I'm not going to waste a good saddle and money that I don't have paying the purchase price on a useable saddle that will essentially be destroyed! There's only so much that you can learn through reading and pictures and no hands-on! :wink:

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
That is the best way to learn how saddles, especially how English are constructed. I did that about 15 yrs ago and was able to compare a high end saddle with a low end one. The low end one was scarey and because of the way English saddles are made there's no way of knowing what's concealed under the leather.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the best way to learn how saddles, especially how English are constructed. I did that about 15 yrs ago and was able to compare a high end saddle with a low end one. The low end one was scarey and because of the way English saddles are made there's no way of knowing what's concealed under the leather.
I've seen pictures that someone (maybe you?) took of a low end Indian saddle's interior and it was awful! I'd love to be able to do such a comparison, but I never happen upon any saddles that folks deem completely unusable. I guess they either trash them immediately or keep using them :shock:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you don't mind sending me your email I have a friend that has one with a broken horn. I'm sure if you paid postage she would let it go for free. She is in maryland

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't mind sending me your email I have a friend that has one with a broken horn. I'm sure if you paid postage she would let it go for free. She is in maryland
I'll send it to you! I'm getting a couple of English saddles shipped, so I don't know how much more I can spend on broken saddles :oops: :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a western that you could have if you paid shipping. (40$?, I just shipped a english for 35$) I'm in Wi. Saddle had a hole in the seat and has been in my way for a few years. We are moving this summer so I'm willing to send you this saddle. I can get pictures of it this afternoon if your interested. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Would you mind posting the pics on here? I'd love to have a look-see. Duck, there's often good reusable leather in these saddles so dismantle with care to save what you can. The leather on the flaps makes good knife cases.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do! I'm definitely going to try and salvage what I can. Good leather is good leather, regardless of a broken tree!

Burgundy, I will send you a message when I get home!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts