The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently rescued a mare and foal. Not knowing to much about her I tried leading her around come to find out she won't walk forward on a lead rope but turns and backs flawlessly. She follows me like a dog with out a leadrope and I treat her for that but when I need to take her somewhere I can't just let her walk beside me with no lead on. Just need some ideas ! The only way she walks forward is for food and that's IT !

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
The easiest way I've found to get a reluctant horse to lead forward is to use a butt-rope on them. It's easiest if you own a lariat because they already have the built in loop and they are stiff enough to release the pressure the instant you want it to.

Basically the idea is that you loop a rope around her rump and keep a hand on it. You ask her forward with pressure from the halter first. If she doesn't respond, then begin to apply light pressure to the butt-rope, building pressure until she moves forward. When she takes even a very small step, release the pressure on the butt rope. You repeat this enough and she'll begin to respond to the pressure on the halter alone.

Oh, forgot to add that you should be prepared for the possibility that she'll kick at the rope or even bolt forward when you apply pressure there as those are both common reactions with horses new to having a rope back there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! I dont know why I didn't think about that! That's how I'm training her foal. I guess her size intimidated me when thinking about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Also quit letting her just mosey along with you, as it gives her idea she is running the show not you.

Butt rope, or can walk with lash whip trailing off of your left side when leading and if she doesn't come up when you start, a tap on her rear as you keep facing forwards does wonders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.