The Horse Forum banner

It only mostly sucked 馃槀

1679 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Dancing Arab
Hi all, I finally drew a horse that I鈥檓 somewhat proud of (ish). I was wondering if y鈥檃ll could critique it? The proportions seem off to me- I spent forever working on them but I think his body is too long and his legs are too short. And maybe his ears are too big? I feel like the barrel could use more shading but I鈥檓 not sure exactly what to do there. And his right hind hoof might be too small. Thank y鈥檃ll :)
Painting Art Tail Drawing Illustration
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Banned
2011 bay Arab gelding (Galeno)
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I think that went well but the rest of him slipped

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 think that鈥檚 true! His legs do seem a little short, but some horses are built that way. I just really liked the detail of his face and neck. I love his shoulder muscling too!

Reactions: Dancing Arab

Registered
I don鈥檛 think that鈥檚 true! His legs do seem a little short, but some horses are built that way. I just really liked the detail of his face and neck. I love his shoulder muscling too!
Yes there's a pony at our barn who has pretty much exactly those proportions.

Registered
It totally doesn't suck! Good grief, if I could do even 1/4 that well, I'd be thrilled. Since my drawing efforts start and end with this kind of picture, I have nothing to say. 馃槀
Nose Head Horse Hand Eye

Heck, I stole this off the internet, my drawings aren't even close to this good,.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It totally doesn't suck! Good grief, if I could do even 1/4 that well, I'd be thrilled. Since my drawing efforts start and end with this kind of picture, I have nothing to say. 馃槀
View attachment 1127602
Heck, I stole this off the internet, my drawings aren't even close to this good,.
Thank you :)

Registered
Wonderful job drawing the legs! I struggle severely with both those and detailed eyes. The barrel is a little flat, but that's easily fixed if you add a medium shade to the belly and spine, blend, and erase a small bit of the middle of the barrel for some shine. It looks great as it is though!

Banned
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonderful job drawing the legs! I struggle severely with both those and detailed eyes. The barrel is a little flat, but that's easily fixed if you add a medium shade to the belly and spine, blend, and erase a small bit of the middle of the barrel for some shine. It looks great as it is though!
Thank you! I knew the barrel wasn鈥檛 done well but I wasn鈥檛 sure how to fix it. This is super helpful :)

Banned
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fabulous job! Do more!

I like the almost geometric patterns in the head and the dabble effect in the neck. Well done!
It's very nicely done - Good on you! I can't draw that well, though I've been trying for years. :LOL: I agree with @Knave, the legs should perhaps be a bit longer. But other than that this is almost flawless!
Thank you both :)

Banned
Hi all, I finally drew a horse that I鈥檓 somewhat proud of (ish). I was wondering if y鈥檃ll could critique it? The proportions seem off to me- I spent forever working on them but I think his body is too long and his legs are too short. And maybe his ears are too big? I feel like the barrel could use more shading but I鈥檓 not sure exactly what to do there. And his right hind hoof might be too small. Thank y鈥檃ll :)
View attachment 1127600
OMG! That is amazing! I love that horse drawing so much. You see i have been trying to draw them to, I'm good at sketching things that I see, but the only problem is, is that I have to see it. So if I want to do a drawing of my horse that means he can't move so it's really hard but i love that drawing it's perfect.

Banned
View attachment 1127600
How did you get the shading inside the horse?

Banned
View attachment 1127600
Also, I think you drew a Hanoverian right? Because that looks like the breed.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did you get the shading inside the horse?
Thank you so much! I actually did this from a photo because there鈥檚 no way I could do it just from memory or watching a live horse. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense and answers your question (I鈥檓 not good at explaining things): I used an HB pencil for most of the shading 2B for the darker areas like his mane, tail and legs, and for the lighted parts I used a 2H pencil. This was how it progressed:
Nose Jaw Gesture Art Painting

Jaw Gesture Art Tail Drawing
Leg Art Painting Tail Knee
Painting Art Knee Tail Illustration

Attachments

Banned
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, I think you drew a Hanoverian right? Because that looks like the breed.
I鈥檓 actually not sure what he is. I drew him from a dressage teaching book and it didn鈥檛 say. I can post the original pic after, but the horse鈥檚 name is Ribery

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.