The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this stuff plus the shampoo only used the spray stuff so far. But he's still bitting an scratching himself. Plan on giving him a bath today. Has anyone used this stuff with success??

Equiderma doesn't work I've tried it on several occasions did nothing. Bugs are horrible mosquitoes are swarming yet did the dunk it's over weekend. Mowing down grass today pasture an yard . Neighbors mowed down there pasture yesterday.

He was on dexamethasone which helped stop the itch. Had to stop using it he became very sore footed.
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Bottle cap Fluid

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
I'm so sorry and can empathize. The bugs here have exploded in the past couple of weeks and in my experience, there's really no topical spray that truly works. I have short term success with Equiderma, but that's if I reapply multiple times daily. I've used some of the other Eqyss products and have had good experiences with them for both my horses and dog, but I haven't tried this specific spray.

For itch relief, have you tried a hemorrhoid cream type product? It may give some temporary relief. I've been using Neosporin on the spots one of my mares has rubbed raw on her face. That does seem to be helping her some, she hasn't opened up the scabs in the last couple of days. I've also been glopping on the Swat on her belly, where the black flies have seemed to permanently attach themselves.

I have a friend who swears by the Hilton Herbs product "Bye Bye Itch" which is both a feed through and a topical lotion. I know you've tried just about every product there is, but maybe one more thing to test out if nothing else is giving relief?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@egrogan Hilton herbs is one thing I have not tried. Will look into the bye bye itch one for sure. Never thought of hemorrhoid cream other thing to try might help.

Mosquitoes, flies an some horse flies no no see ums they don't come out till mid July never came out last year. Have some swat so will coat his belly with that tomorrow.

Midge magic from what I could find looks like it uses natural repellents. Nothing natural to repel kill bugs works more then 3 minutes an bugs are back to harassing horses.

Gave him a bath using the EQyss micro tech shampoo once he's dried I'll spray his belly with the spray. This itchy thing is an issue every spring now. Starts on his belly then his legs get effected he'll itch legs bloody.

It's a annoying time of year mosquitoes are just thick. We sprayed for them yesterday helped but not a cure. Come dusk can't be outside you get eaten alive. I put the horses in barn at 5pm till dark ,there's not a fly spray on market that works longer then 5 minutes. I've tried them all some don't work at all.

Horse flies an deer flies aren't effected by fly spray ,there relentless in there attacks.

Swat going to be ok to use on belly were it's raw?? It's an ointment so I'd think it would be ok to use even if skin is raw.

·
Registered
Gracie, Lily, Chewy, Sam, Jack and Bill
120 Posts
I have had a lot of success with Eqyss products. I’ve used them on horses, dogs and myself!

I second trying a feed through supplement of some kind. My local feed store adds garlic to any of their mineral or feed mixes…I start using the garlic in March and it makes a serious difference in the amount of bugs that bother any of my outdoor critters (goats, cows and horses) I also offer sulfur blocks to give an added punch to ticks. Adding thiamine and apple cider vinegar helps as well. Best of luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
17,154 Posts
I know there is a spray available only from a vet, prescription stuff my neighbor uses on her horse who scratch, itched and bit herself to a bloody mess.
I don't know the name of it, only its a smaller size not a quart but maybe 12 -16 ounces.
Last time I was present and it was purchased think around $30...but it worked.
Repelled and healed...and worked for all flies including the huge deer flies.
Neighbors problem was night nasties including no-see-ums.
Her mare went from self-mutilation to healing and her coat returning beautiful.

Not much help with that name but with you being such a good client with your vet that strange description might get you something to try or a better solution to... ;)
🐴...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update the EQyss isn't making any difference minimal itch relief. Seems to attract more bugs to him, then if I put nothing on his belly.

I put the clear swat on him at least it keeps the bugs off him. Only using the swat because nothing else works for the itching anyway. Once a day I put the hemorrhoid cream on him, has helped better then the equine products that do little to help.

No haven't done any feed through supplements. Stuff with garlic is a lost cause he won't touch the stuff. Have enough issues getting him to eat vit/min supplement. To be honest I get tired of trying to get him to eat it...so say heck with it go eat grass see you later.

Haha my husband eats garlic an the mosquito eat him alive so doesn't keep the bugs away far from it.

·
Super Moderator
17,154 Posts
Not sure this would help...
Vicks VapoRub....
Not on anything open and weeping...
But the smell may help repel.
Check with the vet the ingredients not harm Ice or Cinder but we use to use it sometimes to distract the sniffer at horse shows.
🐴.....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure this would help...
Vicks VapoRub....
Not on anything open and weeping...
But the smell may help repel.
Check with the vet the ingredients not harm Ice or Cinder but we use to use it sometimes to distract the sniffer at horse shows.
🐴.....
I know Vicks vaporub works to keep deer flies away,not sure if it would work on mosquitoes. I'am putting horses in barn at 4 pm till well after dark. Barn is bug free so they can get relief from bugs.

Did talk to vet about the bug allergy he's going to send some hydroxyzine HCL. The hemorrhoid cream does help not a cure though.

·
Premium Member
9,792 Posts
Fly sheets and masks aren't helping? Or are these just areas that aren't covered?

It's bad, I agree. My horses have all rubbed their tails to the point where there's significant breakage. That has never happened before. Mosquitoes are unbearable. I have them in fly masks and fly sheets, but they can't stay out long - they run in the barn for relief. Luckily, the barn is cool and dark and bugs don't seem to follow them in there.

I have used Swat on oozing bug bites. I also spray their face masks pretty good. Instead of spraying them while the horses are wearing them, I will get them really thoroughly sprayed before putting them on the horses. But if the bites are in areas that cannot be covered, not much you can do except maybe keep them in part of the day.

Good hay growing weather also seems to be good for bug populations to explode.

·
Super Moderator
17,154 Posts
Not sure you've seen this....
I know Ice is making you crazy with tolerances for man-made, maybe herbal would help... :unsure:
Product Green Font Screenshot Plant

He may go from being eaten alive to eating himself if he loves a scent on his skin...
Seriously, so many of these are available as liquid... a drop placed here or their may work and find him relief..
I don't know if all are "safe" for use on a horse or if poisonous any of them are....this was for humans, but what often works for humans also works for our horses in deterring....

This may sound really crazy....
Dryer sheets....they are often scent fortified.
I know if you put a used dryer sheet in a window flies stay away...tied on a bridle they leave the head alone. On cinch or saddle...keeps bugs at bey..
Maybe a trial pack of some of those scented with various scents used to activate or just pull from the box and rub on a belly, legs and face might work?
Something has to give that horse some relief...
🐴...

Reactions: rambo99

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Acadianartist I have a fly sheet with belly band used it for a few days. Fly's get up underneath it as do mosquitoes.
Belly band is adjusted as snug as it will go still bugs find there way underneath it. With all the rain yes bugs are exploding this year. Mosquitoes are worst ever in years,stores can't keep mosquitoe repellent stocked.

Yard spray for mosquitoes same deal can't keep it stocked. Stores get it in and it bought up fast. We've sprayed our place for mosquitoes hardly made a difference. So bug zappers I have put out have they helped maybe a little. Ones by barnyard other one out in front of house.

We've mowed everything we can some places have standing water so can't mow there. Got rid of old tires this weekend, all had water collected in them mosquito hatchery's GONE.

Ice is getting eaten up by bugs so is cinder. I give them time in barn at worst times of day. I've ordered 3 different fly sprays all are natural have essential oils an what not.

I do spray then with the permethrin 10 percent stuff legs chest an body. Can't use it daily on ice or he has a reaction to it.

@horselovinguy yes I've seen the different essential oils that repel bugs. An yes dryer sheets depending on fragrance it will repel certain bugs. Not sure how I'd attach one to ice being I don't leave halters on. Good idea for when riding though. So far only mosquitoes an some stable flies seen a few horse flies yesterday. No see ums haven't come out yet.

Here's the sprays I'm going to give a try. Fly bye has good reviews as does equiderma. Other one don't know if it's good or not. Not that reviews are credible. Do know a few people who use the equiderma spray with good results.
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Ingredient Gas

Bottle Liquid Fluid Bottle cap Drink

Liquid Bottle Ingredient Household supply Bottle cap

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to mention allergy medicine. One of my horses takes hydroxyzine HCL, and I think it helps with the insect bite sensitivity. Hope it helps yours as well!
Hopefully it helps I'm thinking it will. Are you doing tablets or powdered stuff?? Vets sending me the powdered apple flavored hydroxyzine. If the powdered does your horse eat it ok? Haha not that ice will eat it but thought I'd ask.

Here the hydroxyzine I'll be getting it's a bigger container then one pictured.
Liquid Paint Electric blue Font Health care

·
Super Moderator
17,154 Posts
ramboo99..........
Braid a bit of the mane and forelock, small section of tail...
Sew a loop on the dryer sheet and slip it through the loop then the loose braid..
If they were to catch on something it would/should pull out of the loose braid and save their mane or tail...
Would be worth a try I think giving some barrier protection and then use with sprays, maybe the horses would get some relief...a little bit.
Maybe spraying the dryer sheets with deet infused fly repellent could be added and help? IDK...
Grasping at straws for you knowing how helpless you feel..

What about the stuff like you use on dogs....
Advantage or Advantix or something that repels more not less pests...a drop on each pastern or hoof, a drop near the poll, wither and tail head??

I know they make stuff called "Snake Stopper" made from some of the ground plants on that list, it is a powder...maybe a dusting could offer repellency but, if they roll its gone, same as if they get wet.
Would check with the vet first before "dusting" the horses with it...
They would smell nice. 😁
I know it works for snakes to keep off my deck where they love to sun themselves... Me not a happy person, not at all to step out and find a 5' - 8' snake looking at me.
Thankfully non-venomous and if these are here, venomous are not!! Different varieties of rat snakes or black racers.
I've gotten acclimated to them but still there are other critters much rather see.......:cautious:
🐴....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hopefully it helps I'm thinking it will. Are you doing tablets or powdered stuff?? Vets sending me the powdered apple flavored hydroxyzine. If the powdered does your horse eat it ok? Haha not that ice will eat it but thought I'd ask.
My horse takes the tablets. I didn't even realize they made powder. That actually seems better to me. Hope it doesn't taste too bad!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the hydroxyzine today gave him the first dose mixed it in some soaked cubes. He ate it with no issue did smell like apple, not sure it tasted like it smelled. Probably helps I soak cubes with a cup of apple juice added to water for soaking.

It works to get him to eat his vit/min supplement.

@horselovinguy never thought to braid dryer sheet into mane an tail. I made a loop with a rubber band on dryer sheet then braided mane into that loop did same for tail.

Ill ask vet about the spot on treatments you mentioned. The fly spray welts him up if I'm not careful when spraying him.

Try to hose him off at least every other day to get excess spray washed off. Seems a build up of it causes the reaction I skipped like 4 or 5 days of hosing him off ,an he welted up an was really irritated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Flies/bugs are horrible here. I've got the mask and sheet on and I've been using EquiSpot but I'm not sure how much a difference that's making. I started today with the lavender utility balm stick. I'm not sure that'll help either but it is easy to put on in those odd spots and he didn't mind it being applied to his muzzle or around his sheath/belly.

I'm honestly starting to look into something like this. Has anyone tried something like that before? There's always bits on normal sheets the nasty things can get through and mine has a bad habit of taking off fly masks regardless of type (he even managed to get the close fitting lycra type off) and if it was part of a bigger piece he probably wouldn't be able to do that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts