The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grace has been very itchy in the past week or so. Only in one general area and she is rubbing alot of the hair off. Last night she had a very small amount of hives in that area.

I have been keeping her locked in a field where there is nothing to rub on, but it is winter so I have to keep her in at night every so often. Last night was the first night I kept her in in about 5 days, and she rubbed a huge portion off, just about doubling the size of the rub. I don't know what to do!

Like I said, it is winter here, so I think that rules out alot of parasites...?

I have been treating the rub and around the rub with MTG for the past 3 days. I am planning on calling the vet and asking her some questions about it.

Any ideas? I really need to know what this is.

Thanks
VB

·
Banned
305 Posts
Sorry i have no clue of what this is, i'd wait for a vet to check it over. How old is the horse?

·
Banned
305 Posts
okay, so she's not even 15 yet. If she were older it may have had to be something with her age.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing different that I can think of. Not in that area. I have been using a new hoof oil, but its not near her hoofs...
I habe been making horse treats and giving then to her, but I don't think that's it.
Same hay...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Nope, winter does not rule out parasites necessarily, nor does it rule out fungus. What part of her body is itchy?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On her "haunch" near her tail but to the side. I have wormed her recently so that shouldn't be it. I can get pictures.tonight?

·
Registered
868 Posts
That may help, pictures I mean. It could be all sorts of things.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help, but we've figured it out. Ringworm. Yucky. So we're treating it and ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts