The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Auction house special
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare is showing signs of possible pinworms? Her tailhead has been extremely itchy. It's causing rubs underneath her tail. She's seems to have a tad bit of what looks like a wormy belly.
We moved to a barn a month ago which puts us two hours away from the closest vet and it's a busy barn with horses living close together so I wouldn't be surprised with a worm load.

I'm going to drive to a tractor supply tonight to see if I can find stuff to help her. Any advice?
Liver Grey Working animal Terrestrial animal Whiskers

·
Registered
51,082 Posts
A busy barn with no vet closer than two hours?? I'm sorry , I just thought that was strange.

But, as to your question . . . have you cleaned her teats? Sometimes if a horse gets a build up of waxy 'crud' on her bag, between her teats, it is very itchy and she will try scratch THAT area ( unreachable to her) by scratching her tail on a post or wall. Check her out, and be careful; some mares , even though they like it, may also cow kick.

·
Super Moderator
17,476 Posts
You're in a boarding barn with many other horses and no vet care local? :eek:
Nothing within a hour.....:cautious:
Man, hope you never have a emergent condition....

You probably already went shopping but if you not have SWAT I would get some and apply it so you not get flies laying eggs in those open lacerations = maggots...
At the least slather antibiotic cream for a barrier to insects but those wounds will weep cell fluid which attracts flies....
Hope your horse feels better with the thorough cleaning soon to commence including her anus and private regions in both areas...
🐴...

·
Registered
Auction house special
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're in a boarding barn with many other horses and no vet care local? :eek:
Nothing within a hour.....:cautious:
Man, hope you never have a emergent condition....

You probably already went shopping but if you not have SWAT I would get some and apply it so you not get flies laying eggs in those open lacerations = maggots...
At the least slather antibiotic cream for a barrier to insects but those wounds will weep cell fluid which attracts flies....
Hope your horse feels better with the thorough cleaning soon to commence including her anus and private regions in both areas...
🐴...
When the company first started there was a large animal vet close by. They closed shop and now we are stuck. We have a good relationship with the one that is further away and will trailer a horse if and when needed. There are many parts of the united states that does not have access to vet care. If you live in proximity to some just be grateful but don't hate too much for those that don't, just realize that there are a decreasing amount of large animal vets in the country.
I did pick up an off brand of SWAT. How often do I need to reapply?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
The first things I would do is put some sort of salve (swat will work) to keep flies off and ease discomfort, get some de worming meds, and clean her udder. My mares will start scratching their tail docks if their udders are too guncky. You do have to be careful when cleaning but a lot of them love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts