The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just DRAINS the energy right out of you. WOW! Yesterday late, we got 3 7/8 barn stalls cleaned and ready to be used again. Then we unloaded 12 round bales of hay and then I went in and barely had the energy to fix dinner.

Today, we started at around 11 a.m. and finished the one stall we hadn't done yesterday and then did 5 more by 12:30 when we took almost a 2 hour lunch break. Then we finished the last 2 stalls, filled the waters, laid dinner and put the horses in the barn, finished up about 4:30 p.m.. Then we went in and took a hot chocolate break til 5 when I did the lunch dishes and started dinner.

Here it is 8:30 p.m., barely, and I'm ready to go to bed. I'm utterly drained. It hasn't been ugly cold like it was Monday night and Tuesday but WOW! I just have nothing left. That doesn't happen often. :shock:

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Know what you mean, on our 2 cold days I came in from chores, plopped down in my recliner and promptly fell asleep. I don't know if it's from carting around all those extra layers of clothes or what but I was sure glad that I could do without extras today.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what you mean, on our 2 cold days I came in from chores, plopped down in my recliner and promptly fell asleep. I don't know if it's from carting around all those extra layers of clothes or what but I was sure glad that I could do without extras today.
The temps are better than the were the other day but the winds are still chilling things right down, so we're still walking around like Michelin Folks. But the cold just gets in the bones and makes me feel just spent.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
My favorite day of the year used to be the first warm sunny day of spring when I could go out in shorts and a tank top and just let the sun warm my bones. Now I'm at the age where hot flashes take care of keeping me too warm. LOL

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite day of the year used to be the first warm sunny day of spring when I could go out in shorts and a tank top and just let the sun warm my bones. Now I'm at the age where hot flashes take care of keeping me too warm. LOL
LOL! BTDT, now I'm back to the Tshirt, jeans and warm sun thing. :lol:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know what you mean, when it was -20 to -30 here before Christmas I was thinking the same thing. Things get really hard at -20 that is when it feels like work -10 and above isn't bad, but when you get below -15 life gets hard. Everything seems to be twice as hard to do.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean, when it was -20 to -30 here before Christmas I was thinking the same thing. Things get really hard at -20 that is when it feels like work -10 and above isn't bad, but when you get below -15 life gets hard. Everything seems to be twice as hard to do.
On Mon we had windchills in the -20 range, it was gawd awful. Tues was much better, not nearly so windy and above freezing. Today......back down to around freezing and major windchills again. I think the cold and the wind howling and chilling things is what really gets to me. To the horses too. Yesterday they were out and loved it, today they were back at the gate by 3 pm tapping their hooves, ready to come in.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh my goodness, I know what you mean! We have over a foot of snow here and the main pasture is a good 30 yards from the barn. I had to walk 16 horses through it this morning in -12 degree weather. I was ready to pass out when I finished, but I still had to clean the stalls... How many days till spring??

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Protein and fat, lots and lots of protein and fat. Just like horses, humans use calories to keep warm and if you're working outside in the cold, then you're using twice the calories than you would on a mild day.

I feel your pain. I come home almost every night drained from being out in the cold. The other morning it was -4* when I got to work :shock:.

Just as my own little personal whine, whenever it gets cold and I spend a lot of time shivering, my shoulder gets to hurting so dang bad. When I took that nasty fall about a year ago and knocked that shoulder down and broke a couple ribs, I guess it never healed right or something. Now, whenever those muscles get tight, boy howdy it hurts like a sunofagun.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I don't envy you guys. That's exactly why I left Ohio. Just remember to drink lots of fluids. A lot of people don't drink as much when they are cold and mild dehydration can make you tired.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't envy you guys. That's exactly why I left Ohio. Just remember to drink lots of fluids. A lot of people don't drink as much when they are cold and mild dehydration can make you tired.
Staying hydrated is a definite issue in the cold. I drink a hot chocolate and then drink 2 glasses of water to wash the sugar down. (I LOVE me some flavored hot chocolate but don't like how much they sweeten things.) I try to make sure I drink several glasses of water during the day so that I don't find myself really dried out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've found the best way to keep moving all day when its cold is to eat... a lot. And so far I've not gained anything from doing so. The really cold day I grabbed a big bowl of chilly or soup, a bunch of crackers, every time I can inside. Drank as much tea and coffee as I wanted instead of limiting myself to 5 cups. And snacked on chips and such.... As its warmed up I'm back to eating a bit better but still, If I start feeling cold or tired I sit down. No matter what time it is or if I've just ate. And eat something.... Now my only issue is not being able to sleep much for the last month lol. Can't tell if I'm getting tired because of the cold or if its because I'm only getting about 2hrs every night

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
Yesterday I had to break up icy spots in the pasture, around gates and the water tank, with a pick axe. Even though the temperature stays cold, when the sun comes out and with the wind, we get very icy spots. I only did the places where we and the horses have to walk and can't avoid them.

I was one tired woman when I got home.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Disclaimer: No scientific fact, just my own conclusion.

I think we're hardwired to slow down when it gets cold. I agree with the bears; hibernate though this cold weather and come out in the spring, skinnier!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Am I weird?? LOL I have the opposite problem, in colder weather I'm awake, lively, and pretty cheery. But I shut down in hotter weather, I get tired n sluggish. -35C and im fine, +35C and im screwed lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.