The Horse Forum banner

Do/Should you give your horse a fan in the summer?

• Yes

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Don't think it matters either way.

Votes: 3 12.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what everyone's opinions are on fans for horses in the summer. I've always been kinda split, because on one hand it's miserably hot and humid so obviously a breeze might make them a little more comfortable. But on the other hand, I've always wondered if giving them a fan in their stall will make them not able to handle the heat as well when they're turned out, being worked, or at shows. Not to mention that watching some of the horses stand nowhere near their fan like it's not even there makes me wonder if they notice/care at all lol. So let's hear it, what do you do?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There is less air movement in the barn than outside (most days, anyway), so I put fans on horses kept inside. I don't think it makes them more miserable outside or when working. It's just important to monitor how they are doing at all times during work.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Depends-- heat tends to stay up higher- so if theyre pointed down on the horses from up high theyll be blowin hot air on em-- if theyre pointed up from lower then theyll be blowin cooler air onto them.. Its all about placement. --my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
If they are stalled during the heat of the day, then I might use a fan on them. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Mine need to be able to tolerate the heat just like I do and everything else here does.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yup. It gets really stuffy and too humid out where I am. A fan won't do harm, just remember to shake it out here and there to get any possible dust (or whatever else is in the fan) out of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses! Delfina - that's what I was thinking last summer, that it seemed to keep the flies away. And not to mention it's awesome to have a fan up for me while cleaning stalls lol. That alone makes it worth it, even if the horses don't appreciate it!

And to everyone else that mentioned the less air movement in the barn, that is true. And my two are stalled during the days most of the time unfortunately, and right in the middle of the row of stalls so there's very little air circulation there. It just hasn't been a big thing to do in my barn until the last couple years, now everyone puts a fan up so I always wondered if it impacted their heat tolerance and what everyone else does. Seems to be pretty unanimous that it can't hurt. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I do put a fan in my horse's stall. My TB doesn't take heat well, he sweats a lot if he is out in the pasture. He tolerates it during being ridden but other wise I keep him in his stall with a fan on hot days and let him out during the night. Plus Hero has allergic reactions to bugs as well, so the fan helps keeps the bugs off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use a fan even out in my mare's lean to in summer. I'm not sure it makes her cooler but if there is no breeze then the humidity can be horrible. I feel like the air movement can be just helpful as cooling the temp down. (and at least I feel like I'm trying to do something for her since I can't do much else other than hose her down occasionally) She does stand where the fan blows though, so maybe she likes it.

I will just add that I had a friends horse die due to an ill-placed fan. Actually an ill-placed fan cord. It was on the other side of a gate but on the ground. The mare reached under the gate to get the hay that fell over it and grabbed the cord on accident. Old barn probably didn't have a circuit breaker or she broke her neck when she got shocked. Moral of the story---Keep those cords up out of the horses reach.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have two fans in Flickas stall, she had free access from stall to pasture- and she stands under her fans.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
My horses are out during the day but I still use fans at night (they're on timers) because my barn is small and there isn't a lot of air movement if the wind isn't blowing.

I have two horses past 25 and another who is a the worst sweater I have ever seen in my entire life.

Right now there's only one tub fan, on a timer, aimed down the aisle on the nights it doesn't get below 60 degrees. As the heat and humidity increase, I will plug more fans into the timers.

By summer, they will all have a fan on them. They have lived this way for many years without any ill-effects.

If I had it to do over again, I would have built this barn with those big fans in either end of the barn walls, that suck all the hot air out, like one sees in cattle barns:)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I live where 100 degrees + is the rule in the summer time. I do not keep my horses under fans even in 110*.
They do just fine because they are acclimated to the heat.
the mare I bought from colorado 2 years ago did not do well and I did keep a fan in her shed. If she did not acclimate the next year I would have sold her.
As long as air can circulate freely the horses should be fine. Shalom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.