The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to have an open mind about things. We cant get mad at people because we have different opinions. If someone says something you dont agree with try to find another way to resolve things like seeing your way in a different point of veiw. Try to think how the other persons way would work. Dont argue on threads and such because its uncalled for. Its getting me really angry and we all need to talk about it. We cant be so defensive all the time and get into fights. We just need to settle down.

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
I disagree. Strongly.

You see, this world revolves around me and so all opinions should be mine and if you don't like it then you are wrong.

WRONG I SAY!

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's called debating. We are never going to agree, so why bother trying to make nice all the time? Let's not turn this into another Horsetopia forum, where if you even try to constructively critique somebody who wants critique, they ban you.
To debate it to educate, that's how I see it. For example, my view on when to use side-reins has completely changed since I got on here (I used to believe in lunging with them on every horse). If everyone agreed, we wouldn't learn anything.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disagree. Strongly.

You see, this world revolves around me and so all opinions should be mine and if you don't like it then you are wrong.

WRONG I SAY!
I am very confused...But as i was saying i hate this "You see, this world revolves around me and so all opinions should be mine and if you don't like it then you are wrong." i see this on threads all the time. My point. It should stop and we need to have an open mind.

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
I am very confused...But as i was saying i hate this "You see, this world revolves around me and so all opinions should be mine and if you don't like it then you are wrong." i see this on threads all the time. My point. It should stop and we need to have an open mind.
It was a joke. I was teasing you.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's called debating. We are never going to agree, so why bother trying to make nice all the time? Let's not turn this into another Horsetopia forum, where if you even try to constructively critique somebody who wants critique, they ban you.
To debate it to educate, that's how I see it. For example, my view on when to use side-reins has completely changed since I got on here (I used to believe in lunging with them on every horse). If everyone agreed, we wouldn't learn anything.
I am not saying you HAVE to agree with everyone. You have to see their statement in a different way. So if i think you should wait to jump a horse until 8 years old i would want someone else to say: yes depending on the breed, different horses grow faster or slower. This opposing satement is completly true and the other person saw my statement in a different way and didnt argue with me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The reason I am stating my opinion is because I believe I am right. The only way to make me change my opinion is to prove to me that something else is right. Therefore it is perfectly fine for me to debate with someone with a differing opinion, I simply am not rude or angry about it. It is also perfectly alright for another person to confront me on my opinion.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
It is naive IMO to ask everyone to make nice. I agree with roro on this one and dressagexlee, the point of this forum is positive, friendly, and educational, however, you cannot get education and a broad range of insight if everyone agrees, or tries to put everything in sugarsticks and lollypop niceness. Controversy makes the world go round.

Thoug I do agree with the OP as well that the freaking out and blatantly bickering on threads is pretty ridiculous. But so is agreeing just to make things seem nicer...

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is always good to remember to draw a line between a respectful debate and being judgmental & rude. I have been to a couple of horse forums and this one seems to be fairly friendly compared to others!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I also completely agree with dressagexlee and roro. You can't expect everybody to be super duper nice all the time.
I also think that some people also blow things out of proportion...some people are way too over-senstive...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Personnaly I like a good spirited argument. I am of the opinion that if someone is passionate enough on a subject to argue about it then it may be a point worth considering. I am blessed with a thick hide and am quite hard to insult although you are welcome to try. Yes, sometimes people can be petty or a bit rude but I am of the opinion that often that has more to do with the day that they have just had than that they are bad people not worth talking to. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I also believe we can choose whether to be insulted or not.

If you are confident in what you know to be true then other peoples opinions are meaningless regardless of how they are voiced. If you are NOT confident and don't KNOW something for sure then you need to be prepared to consider others opinions regardless of how they are voiced.

Bring on the heated debates I say!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think that a lot of the time, the OP's of these heated debates post these topics intentionally to get arguments started. I have also witnessed many cases where the OP will post their opinion and get mad once someone disagrees. I personally feel that we should all be able to have a right winged opinion on a left winged idea (and vise versa) and be able to say so without having to sugar coat things. This is after all a forum. People do not post on here without expecting a response. I say get your big girl panties on and be ready for grown up debates when you post or read those kind of topics that are going to be the subject of debate. And hey, the best part is that unlike in the real world where sometimes we get stuck hearing heated debates and arguments, in the horse forum world you can simply choose not to read anything that you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
941 Posts
"Get your big girls panties on" ROFL. That cracked me up!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also think that some people also blow things out of proportion...some people are way too over-senstive...
This is the message i was trying to get out. I know we cant be SO nice to eachother all the time but we shouldnt have an argument on every thread. (or close to it)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts