The Horse Forum banner

How Do You Like Your Turkey

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A place for all things thanksgiving. Recipes, questions, memories and traditions. And because 2020, adjustments this year.

Also on a more serious note. If this year finds you more separated and isolated , share that as well and lean on your off topic family.

So have at it. Everything from favorite to least favorite dish. How you like your turkey. Or whatever it is you are doing this year. Share favorite recipes, or ask questions.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Meant to add if not having Thanksgiving, post what you do have/other holidays coming up.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since we have new stuff, doing it big this year. Please take note of the poll at top of page^^^^^

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just immediate family this year. Will mostly keep to myself because I get very grumpy around this side of the family and I'm working before and after so will be tried. I usually make apple pie as my contribution but I think I'll make something a little faster and easier this year. My hearts just not into holidays this year.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Love the topic. Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. And actually, not much of a change for us- my husband and I are not close with our extended families so have always done Thanksgiving with just the two of us, occasionally a "Friendsgiving" with other local friends. I see there are more articles and recipes out for small Thanksgiving meals this year, which will be nice for some new inspiration. I do feel sad for people who are close to their families and really count on that time together. I'm sure it will be a hard year for many.

We just started talking about a menu, no firm decisions yet. We do always order a turkey from a local farm. It's usually too big but we usually freeze a bunch to eat later. As far as sides, I don't usually make mashed potatoes, but for some reason this year I'm really craving them- so, if anyone wants to share their best (high-fat, non-diet) recipe for buttery, garlicky mashed potatoes I'll take it! ;) We usually make some sort of roasted green vegetable, either green beans or brussels sprouts, and usually something with butternut squash (risotto or soup). And ALWAYS Sara Foster's dinner rolls. Still trying to decide on a dessert- usually it's some sort of pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting, but this year we were thinking about a cheesecake with some apple caramel topping- I have an easy cheesecake recipe that I really like, just not so sure on the topping. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Hmmm...new forum won't let me partake in the survey. I like turkey oven roasted so @aubie, you can click on that one for me.

Supposed to go to my oldest sister's. It would just be her family, hubs and me but I need to call her tomorrow to see if she still wants us to come due to rising Covid cases. Also need to find out what she wants me to bring if she's still going to have us. Usually she wants me to make a German chocolate cake. Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday and I'm sure going to miss the delicious thanksgiving dinner she prepares if we don't go. It doesn't taste as good if I have to make it myself. Not that I can't cook but after smelling it cooking for hours on end it does something to the appetite.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
The poll let me vote, which was for turkey in the oven.

This would have been the year my brother and his family would come down from Ohio. Thanks to Covid, that’s not happening(n)(n)

The double whammy to that is my SIL always brings the pies — made from scratch pie dough (with lard)& and made from scratch apple pie filling and pecan pie filling. There is none better - not even my maternal grandmother‘s recipes🍎🍎

We will probably fix a very small ham for ourselves, mashed potatoes and of course green bean casserole, lollol.

I might also dig out my maternal grandmother’s recipe for sage stuffing, which is the best ever - partly because the old fashioned recipe card is in her handwriting:). And no sirreee I do not put the gizzards in the stuffing. I boil them up, use the juice and feed the gizzards to the dogs:)

Other than that, it’s business as usual. If the weather is good, we will hopefully pick one of several outdoor projects that needs done:):)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Doing Thanksgiving at my oldest daughters house. All three of my daughters and their families , wife and me. Love oven turkey,dressing, lots of gravy and cranberry sauce. My wife makes a cranberry dessert that has cranberries in a gelatin with whipped cream on top and lots of nuts. MMM my favorite. Don't forget the pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream. .

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
I LOVE Thanksgiving. :) It's one of my favorites. Can't beat good food, & of course wine! Mmmm!

I voted oven in the poll, although when I go to my Uncle's house he makes both smoked and one in the oven. They are both delicious!

Having a lowkey little Thanksgiving here at home this year. I really wish I could go see my cousins/family, but they are paranoid about the virus (understandable, as it is getting bad again). Plus it's a 2hr drive & that traffic is brutal. I may go visit my grandmom though & bring her some food the day after, because she doesn't have anyone this year (my parents are in FL until spring) & I feel bad because she will be alone. So I will bring her some goodies!

Just doing a simple turkey breast, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet poatoes (w/ the marshmallows & brown sugar!). cranberry sauce (I LOVE the canned one...LOL don't judge!), crescent rolls, & pie of course. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but it'll come to me.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
While it's too late for Thanksgiving, I encourage anyone who is wanting to get together for christmas to talk to the small group you plan to gather with and come up with a plan to keep everyone safe. I'm currently getting my family to agree to do a 2 week pseudo-quarantine leading up to Christmas where no one goes out for anything unnecessary, no lunch dates, no having friends over, no unnecessary contact with anyone outside the home. Still go to work(masked), go to the grocery store(masked). This way, we can do our best to make sure our Christmas will be safe. Where I am, there's currently a (non-enforceable) mandate against having anyone who isn't part of your household in your home, so if we are going to be breaking that, we better do our best to not be part of the problem.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanksgiving will be a lonely one this year. This weekend I was supposed to be hosting a Friendsgiving with a small group of friends, and over this past weekend I made the call to cancel it. My friends mom has covid, my other friend lives with a roommate that doesn't take covid seriously, and my other friend works in a hospital, being exposed to covid daily. There was no safe way to have Friendsgiving near the end, not because of my friends not being responsible, but because of all of these stupid people in my state not doing their part. We were well on our way to normalcy, and then people returned to being stupid once there was no longer laws forcing them to be covid-smart.

I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm emotional. I moved to be closer to my family and friends after 5 years of living 9 hours away, and I feel more isolated than I ever have.

I'm waiting on the final call on Thanksgiving, there is a very high chance (99%) of it being cancelled. My Grandma (living with cancer) and my Grandpa (living with Parkinson's) host it in their house, and thankfully have begun to take covid seriously, now that many of their friends have died. Many of my extended family members don't take covid seriously, so it would be better for my Grandparents to cancel and remain safe.

I have the option to go to SO's Thanksgiving, with his parents, aunt and uncle, that's all...Everyone else cancelled. I don't think I will though, I need to do some sort of "grieving" over what I have "lost" with covid. I know people have it worse in the world, but I'm struggling. I've held it together (mostly) until now, but reaching the holiday season and things only getting worse with covid...I need some time.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
@ClearDonkey I can't like your post. I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

@egrogan this is very close to how I do my mashed potatoes. If I get asked to bring a dish, this what people who've had them ask for.

------
We were going to head out of state to visit family for Thanksgiving but we canceled this morning. I'm so tired of the 'rona.

I voted, no turkey.
I do prime rib for Thanksgiving. Then the usual sides, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, creamed onions, rolls, cranberry freeze and a jellied cranberry.
I really don't like pumpkin pie but hubby does. I usually make an alternative as well.

Husband requested Yorkshire pudding this year. I've never made it. I called my mom because I thought grandma used to make it when I was little. It was my Canadian aunts, is Yorkshire pudding a Canadian thing?

But my grandma used to make Suet pudding.

So anyone have a Yorkshire pudding recipe to share that is tried and true? Also tips to keep from setting my oven on fire? Lol!

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
@COWCHICK77 - I really enjoy watching the Pioneer Woman's cooking show. And that recipe- butter, cream cheese, AND half & half 🙃 That is exactly the kind of indulgent holiday treat I was looking for! I can imagine roasting half a head of garlic and mashing that in with the potatoes. And then we'll use whatever's left over to make potato rolls for turkey sandwiches the rest of the week. Thank you!! Sorry I can't return the favor with a Yorkshire Pudding recipe- I haven't had that since I was a little kid.

@ClearDonkey, I agree, I couldn't like your post and I am with you on losing my faith in humanity's ability to follow even simple directions to help other people. Sorry it's having such an impact on your ability to be with people you care about.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I live 3000 miles from my extended family now. And I am not flying until there's a vaccine, period (also I absolutely loathe flying). So the feast I have partaken of since I was born, with pretty much everyone I am related to in the same room, usually about twenty-five or thirty of us, all talking at once and humble-bragging about the food they brought, is not happening. My dad is 93 and my mom, who is on hospice care at home, is 91. I would like to see them again, but like everyone else, I am dealing with reality as best I can.

No one has set foot in our house since March. There is absolutely no percentage in it. So we are having a Winter Bonfire Thanksgiving (in New England!). I am planning to roast the turkey and fixings, and provide hot spiced cider (with brandy in it for those that like it that way), and my daughter and her wife are bringing vegetables, relish, and pie. And, it's going to be on Friday, because they are having a Zoom thanksgiving with the other set of in laws on Thursday.

Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday, it's just a lot of food and people. Although I like the food. I'm big on bland and starch.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
@ClearDonkey I'm sorry your Thanksgiving has changed so much. This year has been really rough for everyone's mental health, I think. Even people who typically don't have any issues are struggling with something that stems from the pandemic. If you ever need to vent, my inbox is always open!

Reactions: egrogan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have to admit, last Christmas did a good job in helping me be prepared for this Thanksgiving mentally. My husband had surgery last year and couldn't attend Christmas with his family (HUGE family), so my mother and her "plus 1" came down and I made Christmas dinner here at home for the first time ever for just the 5 of us.

So when it came time to decide what we were doing for Thanksgiving, I was already in a good mental headspace for make this dinner, too. He told his mother we weren't going to be at his family's gathering (30+ people) and they just cancelled that a day or two ago. Now we're just figuring out if we should invite my mother or keep it to just the 3 of us.

It'll be a VERY simple meal this year: 6lb turkey breast in the crock pot, green bean casserole, roasted potatoes, rolls, and cranberry sauce. My daughter and I will try out making spinach and artichoke dip for an appetizer. We'll probably do meringue cookies again for dessert.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I voted smoked turkey, as my dad almost always makes a smoked turkey breast and it reminds me of him and my family. I love Thanksgiving because it is always such a nice family time. My immediate family is large (mom, dad, three sisters and at least two S/O with them) and in normal times my dad's side of the family will often come to my parents house so that brings my grandma, one aunt and cousin. So usually it's a full house and it's such a great time.

This year will be the first year in my life (at least that I can remember) where I did not spend Thanksgiving with my family. :( We live far away, and I work in the public in Texas, where we've recently surpassed 1 million covid cases. I just can't bring myself to put my family at risk. We have been talking about it a lot and they do understand, but it is just so sad for me. I know many people are in the same boat so I'm trying not to have a pity party for myself, but it really hurts when you see others disregarding social distancing and gathering in large groups because they don't care or don't think the virus can hurt them. We will of course try to video call with them on the day.

We are keeping fingers crossed for Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

So this will be a strange Thanksgiving with just my husband and our pets. No turkey, as he's vegetarian and while I like it it is not my favorite part of the meal, but I've got potatoes for mashed potatoes, and apples to make apple pie or crisp. Of course we'll need a few other things too! 😜 Probably a salad of some kind and maybe some cooked veggies, and rolls.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
@NavigatorsMom -I've been mostly vegetarian most of my life (only in the last couple of years have I started to eat some turkey and pork from a local farmer that we know), and Thanksgiving veggie style can definitely be a little challenging. I don't want to be too presumptuous about what kind of vegetarian main dishes you and your SO enjoy, but here are a couple of recipes that have worked well for a satisfying fall-inspired veggie main dish for us in the past:
Butternut Squash Risotto
Fall Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
Pumpkin Soup with Ancho and Apples

1 - 20 of 42 Posts