The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I left for university about 3 weeks ago and I'm now about 2 hours away from home. That means I'm about 2 hours away from Lottie and Tazz and any chance of seeing them or riding them.

I know I can ride when I visit home, but that's only going to be twice before Christmas.

I just can't explain the feelings going through me right now, I know they were never my horses but I miss them more than I can say. I really bonded with them and I'm finding it hard to accept that I'll hardly see them.

I've been looking into other options at the moment, such as going on treks close to the Uni every so often. Trouble is that they're expensive, so I wouldn't get to go on very many, and even then, as before, I think it might make me miss Lottie and Tazz even more because even though it will be enjoyable, it's not the same as riding a horse that you know inside out, and that you've bonded with.

My other option is to totally cut horses out completely, and just hope that I'll manage with just seeing the horses very occasionally when I'm back home. I don't know if it's better for me to cut everything horsey out my life, because every time I see something horse related, or even go on this forum or search for trekking centres, it reminds me of them and how much I miss them. I'm wondering if it's better to cut them out totally so that I don't keep getting reminded.

I know I probably sound like a complete loser right now but I really can't help it, I just feel at a loss right now.

So if anyone could reply that would be great, do you think I should just ride every so often and get reminded of the horses, or cut horses out completely while I'm away?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Totally understandable. Horse lovers go through withdrawal when we cannot be around horses!

I went through the same thing when I joined the military years ago, and had to leave my horse. True he wasn't mine, like I didn't own him, but he was at the local riding stable and Apache was the one horse I would ride every Saturday. Boy did I miss him!

I found a stable near the training base and went every Saturday, trying out the horses and settled on one, Lady.

When I was posted, I did the same thing, finding another stable.

Was it hard to leave each time? You betcha.

But I need to have horses in my life. I need to watch them run, breathe in their scent, look into their eyes, brush them, be with them. It would have been harder for me to do without.

Find a stable and get into your horse routine :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I don't really enjoy treks and lessons so much. Before I'd had my own horse they were the greatest thing ever. Now though they just feel a little empty without the bond and relationship to the horse. It's like watching your favourite tv show with just subtitles, you understand what is going on but the sound is missing. To me, that is what it is like riding a horse I don't know, who I am not invested in.

Sometimes there are people around who don't have time to ride their own horses and they are willing to let others work with them a few days a week for free, or a small fee. Maybe you can look around for something like that?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
two hours isnt that far, I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest store.
SOooo get outa bed early on a sarturday morning, travel the two hours, be there by 9 am, go ride for a couple hours, get a free lunch off the folks and head home, be back by 4, If you can use a train, you can get two hours of study and reading in each way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that it costs £15 each way to get home, so as much as I would love to, I simply can't afford to be going back there every week.

But I will have a look round to see if there's anywhere local I can help out, thank you for your advice guys :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
maybe a rich boyfriend?
humm that wouldnt work cause he'd expect you to hang out with him on the weekends, dang boyfriends/girlfriends can be so needy. They ecxcpect you to show up on occasion.
Maybe thats why I am single, I go ride every weekend i am off. And 3 day horse camping trips on the long weekends in the fall.

Hey I know, rich boyfriend that rides horses ? in your area ? might work. Its all in the marketing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I can only dream of a rich/horse loving boyfriend! I can't think of anything better to spend my weekends doing. Closest I ever got was seeing a boy in riding boots in Asda once :D

Good advice LadyDreamer, I guess it doesn't seem so bad if I'm counting down how long til I can see the horses. Well I gave in and booked a journey down for next weekend, justifying to my parents that 'it's my de-stress, I just need some horse time away from the uni'. They understand that, even though they have no clue about horses. It was always assumed I'd grow out of it when I was about 10 and when I went to uni, but nope. So I've only got 12 days of being horse-less lol.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Hey better 2 hours away then across the ocean! im in hawaii for 3 and a half more years and my horses are in NM about 12 hours on a plane then a 4 hour drive before i can see them and its over $1000 dollars each way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts