The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The barn owner wants me to worm my horses with an Ivermectin wormer. I went to Valley Vet to buy some, but there are several different brands. Does it make a difference which one I get? I'm thinking not, but I wanted to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
I often use "store brand" not the name brand..
I like the Durvet brand at TS because not only does it do several varieties of worm, it also does bots as all Ivermectin does..
I buy mine at Tractor Supply, that saves me a bunch and has the apple-flavoring to it so my horses are not so fast to spit it out.
At $3.49 a tube it is affordable and it does a good job.
When on sale, I do pick up a few tubes...if my horses go someplace, we have a unexpected guest or grazing on grasses visited by other animals...my horses get treated for parasite possibly ingested when I know who grazed my land unauthorized.
No matter the brand or price...it all starts with 1.87% Ivermectin..

Ivermectin also has a safe huge dosing parameter than is more forgiving if you give to much...
My other that I will go looking for is Zimectrin Gold when I need to treat for a wider array of nasties...
I also will use other specific forms if known a issue and that drug works better...

I do not do Quest in any form...
If there is access to minis...Quest is a no-no administered.
My vet told me there are enough other choices, even if it means buying 2 products, he too not like Quest products for his horses either and that is good enough for me.
My neighbor has a mini donkey so no Quest on our properties to protect her little one..

As with any wormer, make sure it is capped and buried in a container in the garbage so a dog if they get in the garbage can't chew the container as it is near always deadly because of the strength of the medication and dogs for some reason are attracted to the smell so love to chew empty tubes...deadly mistake it could be.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I don't know about regular Zimectin, but Zimectin Gold(ivemectin and praziquantel) has bad rep for causing burns to the mouth. That's one I'd avoid.

Which reminds me... I need to pick up some dewormer in the next month or two...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about regular Zimectin, but Zimectin Gold(ivemectin and praziquantel) has bad rep for causing burns to the mouth. That's one I'd avoid.

Which reminds me... I need to pick up some dewormer in the next month or two...
Yikes! I got Bimectin, which will hopefully be OK.

I had forgotten about how there was something going around that it would cure Covid or something, but they had this big red warning on the product page that this should not be used for that purpose. That was kind of weird.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Yikes! I got Bimectin, which will hopefully be OK.

I had forgotten about how there was something going around that it would cure Covid or something, but they had this big red warning on the product page that this should not be used for that purpose. That was kind of weird.
You're fine, like horselovinguy said, it is ivermectin. Look at what is in parenthesis under the brand name, that is the "drug" name. Bimectin is still (ivermectin 1.87%) just like the DuraMectin or Zimmectrin, etc.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
The barn owner wants me to worm my horses with an Ivermectin wormer. I went to Valley Vet to buy some, but there are several different brands. Does it make a difference which one I get? I'm thinking not, but I wanted to be sure.
It should not matter which one you buy, but I don’t know what quality control is like on the off-brands, so I buy name brands that have been around for a long time.

Whatever you buy:

1. Check the expiration date before you throw the invoice out.

2. Be sure there is medicine in the tube, as I have read of empty tubes being received.

Except for when I dealt with Neck Threadworms on my Arab, I don’t use pure Ivermectin.

Thankfully my horses are home on large acreage, so they only see worm meds 2X/year. I use Zimectrin Gold, Quest Plus, Equimax.

Contrary to all the horror stories, I have never had issues with Zimectrin Gold or Quest Plus with any of my horses. I think those few who have had serious issues, there was more to the story that they either were not telling or not knowledgeable enough to know about.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
I know of a horse that had a severe reaction to Quest. I had seen the horse before, and she was in bad shape. I suspect that she was extremely loaded down with parasites and killing so many at once caused immune reactions and bleeding.

When ivermectin first got labeled for horses (Yes, I am older than dirt), I had a horse that constantly scratched her chest and neck until it bled. I was a senior vet student, and my teacher took the entire group out to see her. He gave her the ivermectin. The next day she had tremendous swelling in the itchy places as well as oral ulcers. My professor said that it was an immune reaction to the dying worms. She was fine after that.

I will use Strongid P or Stongid T (more messy) on occasion. Strongid doesn't get bots, but it is a change up from other things. And you don't have bots all the time.

The most important thing is to get a fecal done once in a while. Be sure that your wormer is doing anything.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The most important thing is to get a fecal done once in a while. Be sure that your wormer is doing anything.
I know, I really need to do that. I actually have a kit sitting around somewhere, too...

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Zimecterin Gold and Ivermectin are the ones I usually tend to pick up. I have used Anthelcide EQ as well. I have a wellness plan through my vet that gives my horses Spring and Fall Wellness exams with vaccines, my Coggins test, an oral exam, motorized dentistry with sedation, a nutrition consultation, and two fecal checks with parasite control recommendations. I do whatever the vet suggest (if there is a suggestion) and I'll do my rotation.

It was interesting one year because everyone was fine except one mare. She had really high counts and needed a double dose (not at one time - at an interval).

Reactions: Celeste

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
Because there are studies showing it has a negative effect on the virus itself many are purchase for use. Ivermectin has an approved level for human use and approved uses. For Covid it is off label use. They have to put the warnings because the amount in horse wormer, if you choose to go that route and many do, is much higher and many people are not able to do the math or have a scale to weigh that tiny amount out. Not that I am saying it is ok if you can/do but that mistakes are easily made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts