The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I thought I post some of my art here and keep a nice documentation of my WIPs (work in progresses) and just get some general feedback from the equestrain community! :)

Here is my most recent commission - as well as sharing the title as being my first international commission. This little horse is named Denver and is owned by a lovely lady in Norway. :)

I'm in the process of making a cute little WIP movie, I took lots of pictures while in the process of making this one. It took approx. 9-10 hours and I working on layering my shading more that I usually do to give the image more mid-tone value. I have to say too, this was probably my most difficult commission to date - the reference image I was provided was smaller than this image (around 500px wide) and had a rider and full tack, so the midsection and much of the face was imagined by me. But! I'm very satisfied with the end result and so was the customer. :)

Now with being home for the winter break and grounded with a broken ankle, I've taken on the challange of a digital piece. Never attempted one on this scale before, so it will be an interesting learning process. Here are two WIPs of my silly little unicorn. Haha.

First, just the sketch - 20-30mins?

And the blocking in stages, it's been quiet a challange because I, sadly, don't have a tablet so it's slow going mouse work. Thank goodness for large resolution that can be scaled down to hide shakey hand work! Haha!

Well, that's all for now! I'll update as new things come up. Also, if you're interested, here's my deviantart page! Jag6201 on deviantART

THANKS!
Molly aka Jag6201

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Gosh it's been so long since I've done a digi painting... Awesome work!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Oh wow, I was trying to work out on that first photo what medium you had done it in... then it dawned on me that it was digital!!
Very very classy work, I cant work on a computer to save my life, using a mouse to draw details? That is impossible haha!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, thanks Kayty! I've seen some of your art and it's very impressive, so a compliment from you is quiet a treat! :)
But, I have to correct you... Hehe - the first image is good ole' traditional pencil, my main medium. Actually, it's cheap-y BIC .7 mechanical pencil. I just can't use artist pencils, I always end up using only one anywas, so I just use the cheap things, graphite is graphite to me! Haha.
Thanks!!

Also thank you too PaintsPwn - It's been fun working on a digital piece for the first time. :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Is it really just graphite?! My god, I'm trying to work out how you got it so rounded and have got such fantastic tones in there. Then I saw the second and thought they must both be digital! I stand corrected! I can't do anything like that, I'm too much of a bloody fuss pot, I draw in each and every hair, and in doing so lose alot of that basic detail that makes your drawing stand out so beautifully

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That drawing was actually my "break out" image in terms of getting a more realistic midtone representation. I used to have a habit of really "blasting" my darks and whites and leaving very little soft midtones making the drawings in my opinion, harsh. It made a cool effect for some images, such as competitive and high-action, but I wanted to be able to make softer, more pleasing to they eye type images and with the completion of that last drawing, I think I've taken a step in the right direction. :)

Here's an example of my previous drawings. While I still do like the end result, I think it lacks a sense of movement and looks "plastic-y".

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, looking through your Art Journal (didn't realise I'd stolen your thread name! So sorry for that!) I have a question for you, since you seem to been a pretty active commissioner. I haven't done many commission, and even fewer ones that are non-family/friend (actually, I think that norway commission is the only one... How sad!) do you have any pointers on getting a new commissioner name out to get some more? Being a poor college stude, I could use all the money I can get! As well as since I still haven't yet been able to fit in any sort of art based classes into my schedule, it'll give me an excuse to sit down and draw.
Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no! I didn't realize you couldn't go back and edit previous posts. Well, that's a major bummer... Oh well - here's that WIP animation thing I was talking about for the first drawing. Sorry it loops so fast, I couldn't figure out how to put more delay in...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Also, looking through your Art Journal (didn't realise I'd stolen your thread name! So sorry for that!) I have a question for you, since you seem to been a pretty active commissioner. I haven't done many commission, and even fewer ones that are non-family/friend (actually, I think that norway commission is the only one... How sad!) do you have any pointers on getting a new commissioner name out to get some more? Being a poor college stude, I could use all the money I can get! As well as since I still haven't yet been able to fit in any sort of art based classes into my schedule, it'll give me an excuse to sit down and draw.
Thanks in advance! :)

I would LOVE to pay you to do a drawing of my guy. What sizes do you do? Could you get it framed prior to shipping so that it doesn't smudge? (I'd pay for that of course - if it's possible) I can email you a high resolution image to do the drawing of - I'd like to have it hung in Baby Q's room. :)

Do you have PayPal?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would LOVE to pay you to do a drawing of my guy. What sizes do you do? Could you get it framed prior to shipping so that it doesn't smudge? (I'd pay for that of course - if it's possible) I can email you a high resolution image to do the drawing of - I'd like to have it hung in Baby Q's room. :)

Do you have PayPal?
I would be happy do draw your horse - and would be more than willing to frame if the costs are provided. As well as yes, I do have paypal. :)

Email me at [email protected] with your image and we can chat some more about details. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I love your work! The detail is amazing. I particularly like the detail with lighting I noticed on your later post. And I envy your talent in drawing people. I haven't been able to find a balance between drawing horses or faces yet.
I look forward to seeing more of your work. And you're only 18?! Haha welcome to the forum.
And you have Flickr I see-me too! (hicktownsophisticate)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! I really appreciate it - I really like drawing both horses and humans (but horses win by a nose, haha) so that combination goes well together. Haha!
And I won't be 18 for long! I'm going to be 19 in two months! :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I tried combining the two. But I've been drawing horses so long they win in my case too. Drawing people was a feat I undertook earlier last year so it's definitely still a work in progress. I've had a few successes but a lot more failures.
O and I hope 19's a good year for you. One more and the teenage years are over! I'm holdin' tight for 21. Not for the obvious reasons. My insurance goes down and I'll be getting a different car. Haha kinda cheesy i know. :lol:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Awesome work!!! I don't even have the slightest idea how digital art works.

Anyway, I have only just recently discovered the wonders of mechanical pencils myself (thanks to toadflax). I almost exclusively draw with them now and might go back with a sharpened 8B or 7B pencil for some of the darker shading. I was using a kneaded eraser, but I find that I do better with a regular eraser for some of the highlighting. I feel like I have taken my art to the next level and I owe much of it to some of the adivice I have received in here. Having no "training" to speak of, I rely on advice from others. Anyway, enough about myself, welcome to the artwork forum!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Heres a coloration idea for the digital WIP I'm working on... I like it - but think it's kind of... Busy. Haha.
I'm also working on a liver chestnut idea.
I'm open for ideas! Just let me know! :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Haha no worries you're more than welcome to pinch my title :p

Hmmmm as for active commissioner... too active you might say! I'm stressed!! I had 3 to do for Christmas which I received only a month prior, then I got a huge flood of new work when I updated my site. So now I have 11 new clients, and some of them wants more than 3 drawings dones... it's keeping me busy thats for sure!!

As for getting your name at. You biggest advertisement will be word of mouth. I did work for family and friends initally, at LOW rates. Don't over charge when you start out, even if you know you're work is worth more than what you have on it, charge low until you build up a steady clientel, then start to up your prices. You know your prices are too high when you have no one, and they're too low when you have a huge waiting list... hence why I am now upping mine again. I started out 4 years ago doing graphite drawings for only $35. I then upped to $75 and now a pastel of a horses head I charge $115. A large pastel of a full body I charge over $200 and still have interest.

Get some business cards done up, each time you do a drawing for someone, slip a business card in with it. It'll get handed around and you can get work from that.

I advertise on a number of equine forums, and will be advertising on dog forums too. Lots of classified sites allow you to advertise basic business listings for free. usually they allow a small photo and some basic details. So I put a photo of my work up, a small blurb about my work and how to contact me for more details.

Ask around at a few local cafe's. Many will let you put a framed work up and advertise it for sale because it brightens up their business. Put some brochures/business cards around on their desk or where ever they will let you.
I work at a radiology clinic, so obviously people have to sit around for some time in a boring medical waiting room. I have just put up a framed pastel of a dog I have done, and left business cards on the counter. People will look at drawings and read brochures when they are bored.

Do you have a website? If not, get one!
Have a look at mine if youd liuke any layout ideas. My registered website server has lost the plot so unfortunately I am stuck with a free site at the moment, but will be changing server soon and getting a paid account back, which makes you look more profession and credible.

www.freeewebs.com/horseandhoundartisty

Hope that helped you out a bit!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, that helped a TON Kayty! Thank you so much!
I do have business cards already - but... They're for my photography, I've given those out because they lead to my flickr account that also has some of my art there, but - it does say "equine photography", not "equine photography and art". One of my biggest mistakes now looking back at it...
I might work up some flyer type materials since I'm stuck at home and when I get enough energy, maybe will go post them around tack shops and maybe even some vet offices if I can. I do have a couple non-equine drawings that might get me some business (even though I hate doing cats...).
Again, thanks sooooo much! That helped so much and has gotten me re-motivated. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Haha no worries you're more than welcome to pinch my title :p

Hmmmm as for active commissioner... too active you might say! I'm stressed!! I had 3 to do for Christmas which I received only a month prior, then I got a huge flood of new work when I updated my site. So now I have 11 new clients, and some of them wants more than 3 drawings dones... it's keeping me busy thats for sure!!

As for getting your name at. You biggest advertisement will be word of mouth. I did work for family and friends initally, at LOW rates. Don't over charge when you start out, even if you know you're work is worth more than what you have on it, charge low until you build up a steady clientel, then start to up your prices. You know your prices are too high when you have no one, and they're too low when you have a huge waiting list... hence why I am now upping mine again. I started out 4 years ago doing graphite drawings for only $35. I then upped to $75 and now a pastel of a horses head I charge $115. A large pastel of a full body I charge over $200 and still have interest.

Get some business cards done up, each time you do a drawing for someone, slip a business card in with it. It'll get handed around and you can get work from that.

I advertise on a number of equine forums, and will be advertising on dog forums too. Lots of classified sites allow you to advertise basic business listings for free. usually they allow a small photo and some basic details. So I put a photo of my work up, a small blurb about my work and how to contact me for more details.

Ask around at a few local cafe's. Many will let you put a framed work up and advertise it for sale because it brightens up their business. Put some brochures/business cards around on their desk or where ever they will let you.
I work at a radiology clinic, so obviously people have to sit around for some time in a boring medical waiting room. I have just put up a framed pastel of a dog I have done, and left business cards on the counter. People will look at drawings and read brochures when they are bored.

Do you have a website? If not, get one!
Have a look at mine if youd liuke any layout ideas. My registered website server has lost the plot so unfortunately I am stuck with a free site at the moment, but will be changing server soon and getting a paid account back, which makes you look more profession and credible.

www.freeewebs.com/horseandhoundartisty

Hope that helped you out a bit!!!
Hey Kayty~great advice, helped me out a lot too! I was wondering though, what other forums you advertise on. I've been searching for some decent ones and can't really find any.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts