The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly looking at a young Tennessee Walker.. Besides a good trail horse and a show horse (not looking to show) what 'job' could I give her? I've seen gaited horses barrel race but it doesn't look too natural. I would just like to give her a job and me something to train her in and work towards. Thanks :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to "finish" a really good quiet trail horse-there is a lot of training that can be done.
This is true, and she's already becoming a great trail horse. Any other jobs besides the typical trail/ show horse?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Walking horses, IMO, can do anything any other horse can do. They just have an extra gait or two.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used a young Walker Horse mare to work cattle and she would even let me throw a rope off of her, even though we never roped any cattle. Past experiences they are a very smart breed, and very willing. A girl I went to school with has a TWH she barrels races, trail rides, shows in halter and western pleasure at small saddle clubs, and does the little games at fun shows.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
What about trail classes, extreme cowboy races, endurance, hunter paces (not sure they have gait requirements), driving...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
In the early days of Alberta's big cattle ranches many cowboys rode gaited horses, either what is now known as the standardbred and the twh. As a kid I rode a trained ranch horse, a standardbred, that had a single-foot to die for. He could cover ground in a gentle side to side rocking motion. Problem was I'd start falling asleep.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Also, what about just making her a really rocking all rounder... Self loading, water crossing, LOTS of desensitizing, stops when you fall, comes when you call, picks up all four feet when up say, lines himself up at the mounting block (my friends horse does this, it's awesome!)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, what about just making her a really rocking all rounder... Self loading, water crossing, LOTS of desensitizing, stops when you fall, comes when you call, picks up all four feet when up say, lines himself up at the mounting block (my friends horse does this, it's awesome!)
Posted via Mobile Device
I like this idea.. and It would give me a chance to better my training skills. She has so much potential especially when it comes to desensitizing. She could be my little trick horse haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here she is
Horse Bridle Halter Mammal Rein

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3 twh I've worked with are VERY fast learners!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes she loves to learn. Very willing and level headed. I just want to find something for her that she'll love and feels natural for her

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tennessee walkers are very versatile. There are 5 at my barn, one of which I ride. Every month I do a hunter pace with the barn girls. Really fun, we actually placed 1st last weekend! We do the flat class but go over the smaller logs just for fun. Endurance is another thing you could consider. The list goes on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possibly looking at a young Tennessee Walker.. Besides a good trail horse and a show horse (not looking to show) what 'job' could I give her? I've seen gaited horses barrel race but it doesn't look too natural. I would just like to give her a job and me something to train her in and work towards. Thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always go to the idea of "helping other's" first. I figure if you can and with some simple intelligent "think ahead" plans, either every day or a couple days a week have kids and or adults benefit from her by riding her with you assisting. I will guarantee you one thing, your heart and soul will never be the same again. As far as the horse, why they end up being "one of a kind" cause they "know" what "kind goodness" they're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always go to the idea of "helping other's" first. I figure if you can and with some simple intelligent "think ahead" plans, either every day or a couple days a week have kids and or adults benefit from her by riding her with you assisting. I will guarantee you one thing, your heart and soul will never be the same again. As far as the horse, why they end up being "one of a kind" cause they "know" what "kind goodness" they're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I volunteer for Equestrian Special Olympics but her current owner didn't want me to put her in the program if I did get her, considering she wants flicka to be loved and attached to one person....

·
Registered
716 Posts
I did/do everything under the sun with my Walker.. just depends on what interests you and what she ends up liking the most :) Try everything!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.