The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current riding boots are nice, but off-brand. They were the style "riding" but I guess aren't really actual riding boots. They are comfy but don't fit snugly around my lower leg, and the edge gets bent down in the stirrup. I am looking to get new, real riding boots that fit nicely and work well for everyday riding.

Anyway, do you all have suggestions on an inexpensive (preferably under $100) riding boot? And do you think I should get half chaps and short jodhpur boots or long riding boots? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
I'd look at the sales and clearance deals on websites like Dover that are going on now. What are you looking to do with your boots? Ride only or ride and work around the barn. That would determine whether you go with tall boots or paddock boots and half chaps. If you are riding only then you would likely find a nice pair of boots in that price range. If you need them to work around the barn then finding a good pair of boots that will last under those conditions and the half chaps for riding could double the price point and that is looking at sales and clearance items.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to use my current boots around the barn when not riding and my new ones on riding days.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
You can get short boots and half chaps that are a smooth leather, they match and unless examined closely folk would not realise they are not long boots.

My made to measure hunting boots were well past their best and as I knew I wouldn't be following Hounds as much, the above is what I opted for.

·
Super Moderator
14,725 Posts
Only thing I can add is when you shop read descriptions very carefully and look at pictures with detail.
Many boots today are a glued-on sole = once repeated wet/dry happens they come apart and are junk.
If you are going to be wearing them for "working" conditions not just step-up astride ride and once on ground remove them...get a sewn on sole.
They cost more, no doubt about it but they will last and take a lot more abuse of conditions used in too.

Brands, not sure who does what today and I prefer leather than needs shoe-polishing and care given to them to keep appearances good or better.
I have "cheap" synthetic boots too...prefer my leather ones is all I will say.
Also check the sole for is it got a design on it for traction, not a work boot thing, a design so if you walk across damp grass you not hit the ground slipping, forget if a horse pulls you. This would work well and give some foot traction in the stirrups too..

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Ariat Terrain II short boots and same brand half chaps is my go to. The boots easily double as light hiking boots, which you sure can't say of tall riding boots. Part of my reason for Ariat is that they make the boots in wide width and the chaps in short length, both of which I require. But they are generally popular especially with trail and endurance folks.

I use muck boots for barn chores.

If you only ride in arenas and over fences, tall boots can be a good option, I guess. I would have to have tall boots custom made for me, not really on my menu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.