The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently ive been looking into getting another pair of pants to ride in. I only have one pair of jodhpurs and they arnt always clean before i ride, and since everything's on special right now it seems like a good time to buy another pair. My current jodhpurs are black so my next pair will most likley be a lighter colour.
Now i come to the point of this thread, should i buy a pair of jodhpurs or breeches? I have jodhpur boots (only go up to ankle) but i also have chaps. What are the advantages of either jodhpurs or breeches?

-thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How tall are you. I'm abou 5'3 and breeches sit just above my ankle. So I really don't care. If you normally ride with chaps I'd go for what's cheap

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errr, i dont know how tall i am, last time i checked i was about 170cm, about average size. :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Breeches are for wearing with long boots; less bulk around your ankle. Jodhpurs are for wearing with jodhpur boots and chaps.

But just try them on in the shop, some breeches come down to my ankle anyway.

Buy the ones that look and fit the best. :D

Reactions: Foxhunter

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ill try both and see what fits.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Recently ive been looking into getting another pair of pants to ride in. I only have one pair of jodhpurs and they arnt always clean before i ride, and since everything's on special right now it seems like a good time to buy another pair. My current jodhpurs are black so my next pair will most likley be a lighter colour.
Now i come to the point of this thread, should i buy a pair of jodhpurs or breeches? I have jodhpur boots (only go up to ankle) but i also have chaps. What are the advantages of either jodhpurs or breeches?

-thanks in advance :D
Neither.....get a good pair of jeans and never look back...

Reactions: shaggy

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ride english though, so i dont wear jeans

·
Registered
5,111 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Jeans are really rough on the leather of an English saddle, western saddles are made to be ridden in jeans, but English saddles...not so much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ride english and i ride in both jeans and breeches. I don't think jeans will do damage as long as there aren't any rhinestone/blingy stuff on the pockets... But thats beside the point the decision is yours! :) I prefer breeches, and if you are planning to get a pair of tall boots in the near future, id recommend breeches. Otherwise i agree with everyone else - get whats cheapest!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I ride english and i ride in both jeans and breeches. I don't think jeans will do damage as long as there aren't any rhinestone/blingy stuff on the pockets... But thats beside the point the decision is yours! :) I prefer breeches, and if you are planning to get a pair of tall boots in the near future, id recommend breeches. Otherwise i agree with everyone else - get whats cheapest!
Posted via Mobile Device
They make the leather wear out faster, and makes the saddle show wear marks faster. They're not going to kill it (unless like you said you have the bling stuff) but they will take a few years off your leather's life. But in the end, it's up to the rider or saddle owner.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont own the horses i ride nor the saddles and i dont think the owner would be too happy if i wore the saddle out. Plus my riding school asks that we were jodhpurs or breeches when riding, ill just buy the cheeper option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.