The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody

I have a 16 yr old mare that has been diagnosed with Oestrio Arthritis in her pastern joint, was told by the vet to start riding her again after two months rest, I have tried riding my horse but she always seems lame JUST on the right rein ONLY in trot more when tacked up, so had the vet come out again and she did all the trotting and lunging flexing tests again, now she is recommending injections into her feltock.

My question is has anyone had these done?
Do they work?
How long do they last for?
Are they worth getting done?
How much do they cost?

I am at my witts end don't know what to do, as i am not a happy hacker, i like to ride and i dont normally ddo more that half hour but i still like to walk trot and canter and not being able to do it has destroyed me i am devasated ..... i am finding it hard to except as i CAN NOT afford to keep another one ..... as i pay for my daughters horse as well would not be able t pay for a third horse ......

Thank you in advance for any advice

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I am all for them. Arthritis is improved by movement, if the horse isn't comfortable, they don't want to move, makes sense. So make them comfortable by lubing them up with injections, works great. Length of time these are effective depends, usually about 6 to 8 months in my experience with them. They are absolutely worth getting done. I am in Canada, so all I can quote is what I paid, about $250 for both hocks done.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I think it's worth the money as I seen the difference it can make.
Price was the same for me, Idaho, $250 for both hocks.

Reactions: waresbear
1 - 3 of 3 Posts