The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I start my 19 and 17 year old mares on a joint supplement? My farrier said they are extremely stiff?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Horses at that age often do start getting a little stiff and can benefit from joint supplements. I've heard really good things about Cosequin ASU, but it's pretty pricey. The SmartFlex line of supplements are also pretty good, and have some lower price options.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I've had my mare on Arthralief for about 3 months now and there is a HUGE noticeable difference in her. My vet recommends it as well.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
The biggest thing you can do for them is make sure they have light exercise every single day. Keeping them moving helps a ton.

I have my horse's on Platinum Performance CJ as recommended by my vet. It would be best to consult with your vet on what would be right for your horses.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
^what beau said. I know that with my mare we started her on msm and that helped her a lot. When she started getting more excersize and was out more then we stopped it as it wasn't needed. We only started her on it again now that she's older recently. :) (It was also pretty cheap compared to some other stuff... lol)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Anything that has glucosamine make sure it has chondroitin in it as helps the body process the glucosamine properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.