The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Good ol' straight MSM.

My best friend gives it to her arthritic, pasture pet 16yo TB gelding who suffered an injury that ended his riding career and he runs around like a fresh colt most of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Wallaby

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read some reviews on MSM and people say it makes their horses hyper and/or spooky. Anyone here notice this?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
My absolute favorite hands down is Omega Alpha Sinew X. I've tried just about every supplement out there and had no results at all other then Adequan and Legend which are injections.

Sinew X has made my 21 year old who was close to retirement from her arthritis completely sound. She is rocking the cross country course again. It is all natural and vegan made. All ingredients a horses body can actually break down and digest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,
Well my first question would be: are you treating or "preventing"?
I gave my boy Osteo-Glycan, it's a joint supplement that helps increase bone solidity, articular strength and ligament resistance.
If you are treating something, like joint pains, or stiffness, then devils claw is great. Never tried MSM personnaly but have heard of great results.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
I would say preventing. He is pre-arthritic in his hocks.
Posted via Mobile Device
If your horse already has signs of arthritis, then you are treating.

An oral feed-through supplement is not going to reverse any damage. Personally, my horses get either Platinum Performance CJ or T.H.E. Equine Edge JointsPLUS.

Your best bet would be to start your horse on Adequan. An injectable is much more effective than a feed-through that has to pass through the horse's digestive system. If he's really having an acute phase of arthritis pain, then you can also consider Legend.

What has your vet recommended for your horse after they diagnosed him with arthritis?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love MSM, it's so cheap and works better than anything short of cosequin or previcox. My mare is very arthritic and used to creak just walking out of her stall but since I put her on MSM she has been 100% better, she still has some stiffness problems but overall she is much more sound and moves much better than she has in years. I haven't had problems with spookiness or hyperactivity either, and she is prone to both normally. I'd say that if your just looking for something to try MSM is your best bet, you'll be suprised!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts