·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What joint supplement do you use?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Acti-flex is hands-down the best, IMO. I give the powder to my mini who has upward fixation of the patella (along with many other issues -__- ). It has the most garuntee of the most important ingrediants in each ration. I don't know how much you'd have to give a full-sized horse--my mini gets a full tsp with his gain 2x a day, and it works Miracles! Though make sure that you don't get the senior Acti-Flex because it is more comparable to an all-around supplement--they add more vitamins etc that the geriatric horse needs. :3
Hope that helped!
~The Golden Filly!~

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
It has been proven (by MANY studies done by vet schools and clinics) that feed through joint supplements just don't work. Firstly, the aprovel is easy to get. It is a very lax system on getting aprovel to sell a supplement. That means that exactly how much of what is in that tub isn't held to a high standard, making it easy to just put whatever in. Also, many of the things put into joint supplements (feed through) don't even get digested. That or they are completly digested in the stomach and not absorbed into the blood stream. If you are looking for a joint supplement, go with an IM injection, those are held to a VERY high standard, and you get exactly what they tell you

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I personally have had a lot of success with the 4 flex supplement, and I do recommend it, but that being said, I have never had ultra sounds, or radiographs, or anything else like that done on my horse before and/or after starting a joint supplement, so I have no scientific proof of how well it works or doesn't work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok

I do have a pony he's 13.2 hands if that helps

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
have you talked to your vet? That's the best way to go, they can do flex tests to see if he needs a supplement, and then go from there. IM injections can only be distributed by a vet also, so if you do use one, you have to get it through your vet

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gizmo is kept in a stall during the night, and I have him on Cosequin (it's a two-week starter size) becuase he's 19. I did this because I don't want him to get stove up in the stall.. can this happen? He does not have any problems with his joints yet, but I wanted to prevent any future problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
joint supplements

hey guys. I dont know if I'm too late here but I dunno if you guys have heard about this royal champion joint, coat, vitamin estc. supplement?

on this link: horse supplement (for some weird reason i cant paste the html link in here but this should work)

It's supposed to be this whole "complete supplement "that you can use for your horses in addition to giving them their regular feeds. I've tried it for about a week now, I havent fully seen the full effects yet but so far its been good.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I've had great luck with Acti-Flex 4000. It has ALL of the recommended ingredients, including HA, Yucca, MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, etc., and the best part.... It's affordable!!! bigdweb.com has the best price online. And if you buy a gallon, you get a qt free ;-).

With one of my horses, who has a definite hock issue, I have to feed extra MSM, a half-dose of a pure MSM supplement. But, straight MSM is cheap, only about $5-6 a month for the amount that I feed, in addition to the Acti-Flex.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
It has been proven (by MANY studies done by vet schools and clinics) that feed through joint supplements just don't work. Firstly, the aprovel is easy to get. It is a very lax system on getting aprovel to sell a supplement. That means that exactly how much of what is in that tub isn't held to a high standard, making it easy to just put whatever in. Also, many of the things put into joint supplements (feed through) don't even get digested. That or they are completly digested in the stomach and not absorbed into the blood stream. If you are looking for a joint supplement, go with an IM injection, those are held to a VERY high standard, and you get exactly what they tell you
It all depends on the horse and the product. Many horses show great improvement on feed-through supplements. I take joint supplements for myself and can definitely feel the difference.

"The proof is in the pudding."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.