The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, my mare just turned 16! Boy has the time flown by. I want to start her on some joint supplements such as cosequin or whatnot but was wondering what everyone recommended as the best one? It would just be fore maintenance and prevention. I don't do any kind of heavy riding with her. She's mostly just part of the family that I occasionally take out for trail rides. :gallop: Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Unless she has a diagnosis of arthritis somewhere, just put her on plain old MSM. It helps, it’s cheap, and you should be able to buy a 5# tub at TSC or your local farm store:)

I have one horse on MSM.

The other one is a train wreck of injuries, with serious arthritis in his sacrum. He is on Cosequin ASU+, which is $144.00 for 2.3 lbs, as opposed to ~$33 for a 5# tub of Animed’s MSM:)

Don’t waste your money on the expensive stuff unless there is a real reason:):)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since she isn't doing much, I agree with giving her MSM. It's pretty cheap and good for a horse that isn't on hard work or competition. I used to use something called Su-Per Sound on my mare, Tequila, when I first got her. Other than that, I agree with above, don't buy something super expensive (such as Platinum Performance) if you don't need it. 🙂

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Cosequin AU is about the only one that has actual studies to back it up. Majority of joint supplements on the market don't have enough of the active ingrediant to have an effect, even if that ingrediant alone has data behind it.

I'm partial to injectables. Cheaper, easier to manage, and more effective.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I noticed a huge change with injectables. In my opinion you get more bang for your buck.
The loading dose can be a little spendy and you need to be proficient at injections either in IV or IM depending on what you're giving.
Plus I dont have to make sure I'm using a feed through every day. After the loading dose I give a shot once a month and it's cheaper than most of the feed through supplements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts