The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 812 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long initial post, but thought I'd document my new journey. :D

I never posted about this, but last year I lost my heart horse, Star, in a stable accident. It was horrific and quick and I was in shock for several weeks and then mourned for months after. I am still quite affected by it, but have gotten to the point of moving on. Right after it happened, I spent a lot of time with Pi, who was also greatly affected at losing her pasture mate, just going out on long relaxing trail rides. It was good therapy for both of us.

Immediately after it happened, like the DAY after it happened, people started offering horses to me. I politely declined as I was NOT in the mood for a strange horse coming that I would have to take care of, I WANTED to mourn for my Star and Pi had the company of the horses across the street. I knew I would eventually get another horse, but would look for another horse that could compete in cow horse when I was ready.

In the last few months, my cow horse buddies have all been looking for new horses and some have been selling horses, so the bug started growing in me. When I got Pi, I was not actively looking for another horse, but thought if one fell in my lap I'd get it. Well, Pi fell in my lap and I got her, LOL. I started recently casually looking at prospects, thinking a 2 to 4 year old would do, although some of my friends have recently got horses and are going to Snaffle Bit this year. If I got a 3 year old, it would be too late for me to go to Snaffle Bit and couldn't do Snaffle Bit on a 4 yo. So was thinking, maybe a 2 year old would work and I could go to Snaffle Bit next year.

Of course the other factor is $$. One of my friends has bred NICE horses, but she is getting out of the breeding business and is selling off her last foals now. Well, since she put a lot of time, effort, & $$ in selecting money earning mares and top stallions, her foals are way out of my price range. The one I REALLY wanted, a Spots Hot filly, was priced (and sold) for $10k. Yea, there is no way I could every justify spending that much on a filly. So I've been looking casually at some fillies, but had not gone to see any. There are some in my price range which are nicely bred and put together though.

The friend who I bought Pi from & who has Pi's older full Sister and younger full brother, recently learned she was pregnant. She has bred some of her horses, including Pi's Sister, and had a yearling (a little older than a yearling) filly that she put up on FB to sell. The pix was horrible, but I thought that of Pi too. But I liked the bloodlines .... Dam (Pi's Sister) is by Shiners Buenonic out of a Nu Cash Mare (Dots Nu Cash). Sire is by Smart Little Lena out of a Peptoboonsmal mare (Bet Yer Boons). She is a Palomino - not one of my favorite colors, but then I was not looking for a sorrel either and ended up with Pi.

I asked how much she was looking for the filly and she said because it was me she would make me a good deal. We were Best Show Buddies when she was showing and have keep in touch since then and I bought Pi from her. She sent me some other pix, which weren't that great, so I arranged to go and see her last weekend. I took my breeder friend with me to give me a unabashed critical eye.

The filly was pretty up and flighty, pretty gangly and they had not cleaned her up at all. She still looked horrible, LOL. We tried getting some confo pix, but she was not making it easy. She knows nothing, too. When I took over the lead rope I asked her to do a few things - like not run me over and move off to the side or move back a step or two - since she knew nothing, she was a big confused, but I was really happy that she actually paid attention and TRIED when she realized I was asking to do something.

She toes out in the front and seems a little light in the bones. She has some other issues conformationally that make her questionable. We got some pix and some video of her moving at liberty out in the big pen (they had no round pen) and I told my friend I'd let her know. Sent it all to my trainer and he was not real impressed with her; there are some really put together prospects out there (but of course they are pricey) and she was not one of them, LOL. But I thought she actually showed some promise and potential and that many of her problems could be corrected or lessened with some attention; and if she didn't work out, then I'd be able to sell her for close or more of what I put into her as she was more than affordable. So after all the discussing and thinking, I ended up taking her. I pick her up on 7/29.

So, here is, Scarlett (Sheza Smart Nu Ride) ...

Not sure how old she is here, but she was obviously small:

This was taken, I think, a few weeks ago:

This was taken last Sunday (7/16/17):

Her papers:

The plan is to get some good food in her, condition her, start desensitizing her to the saddle and some other things. Long term goal is to make her into a bridle horse with all the steps. The first interim goal would be to make it to Snaffle Bit (Non Pro Limited - Boxing) in 2019. If she is not going to cut it by end of NEXT year (2018), then I would sell her. I'm not getting any younger, so she may be my best chance to start one up and get ready for the big show. I do want to ride in the Snaffle Bit at least once ... it's a "bucket list" thing. Obviously I will have plenty of trainer help along the way and it most certainly will be a journey! I am excited to start and will update along the way.

Thanks for those who got through the novel, LOL ...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot how much work a 2nd horse is, LOL! Started Sunday prepping the corral for Scarlett. That means dragging the 11 12' corral panels into the pen I want to keep her in and deciding where they would go. Not an easy feat for me, LOL, but it got done! Now just need to put them up and clamp them together and to the existing telephone poles in the ground that the prior fence was attached to; I'll do that tonight. Getting new corner plastic feeders for her and Pi and adding a few minor additions to "update" the corral. Plus we got some new hay; good thing I bought Scarlett before we got our hay, otherwise I would have gotten enough for both horses for the year. Not a horrible thing, but something that I don't have to worry about now. Need some time to ride Pi, but maybe tomorrow ...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scarlett is home! Got up to Madera about 10:30-ish on Saturday and unfortunately they did not have a chance to clean her up at all. My friend has a carcass pick-up service and had a few calls before I got there plus one of their horses coliced and had to be taken to the vet. My friend got Scarlett separated and in a stall and then we went to lunch. Got back to her place and her boyfriend led her out to load up. I was parked on the road. She really doesn't know much, barely how to lead, but he's a big guy and she followed him easily enough. She loaded right up but was NOT happy about being in the trailer alone. We left her loose with the halter and lead on. She travelled really well home, except when I stopped for a bathroom break or gas, then she started pawing at the trailer.

Close to home I called my trainer and asked if he was available to come and help me unload her as my property is not fully fenced and I was afraid of her getting away from me. So he met me at my house (we got home about 5 pm) with 3 of his kids and got the lead rope through the door, we opened it and ... she stepped nice and calmly out, LOL. But being the trainer he started her lessons right off the bat ("Let the Learning begin!"), keeping her off of him and bending her. She caught on pretty quick and has not really tried to crowd you like she did before. He got her leading up and bending nicely in both directions and then put his kids on her, LOL. She was fine with them ... They just sat on her a few minutes. Then off they came.

Pi was SOOO excited to have another horse there she was RUNNING, and BUCKING and REARING, LOL. But she stopped by the time I got the camera out. :-( My trainer said to leave her halter on for now and just go down and catch her up a few times a day (she's not good to catch), so I did that few more times that night. And had more to do on her stall, so was out there well past dark.

Sunday I did even MORE work on the corral and caught her up a few times before company came. She actually came up to me on her own at least once. Friends came over to see Scarlett and I caught her up then too. She's friendly to people, but has not had that much exposure to alot of them. Still a little skittish and will try to pull back/escape, but when she hits pressure, she gives and she'll stand quietly. After company left it was more catching up and bending (I spend about 5-10 minutes at a time doing that) and more work out in the corral (the entire corral was fenced with smooth wire; I put up pipe corral on the inside and took that off [which was a laborious process]). I dribbled the hose on her since it was stinking hot; she was not very appreciative of it, LOL, but ended up standing quietly even when I put it over her back. I left her go and she promptly rolled:

Monday (7/31) I had off as I am having my house painted & the painter had to get into the dog area, so had to be there to contain the dogs in the house. That gave me time to finish Scarlett's corral and run all the wire to the dump. Working on her corral gave her the chance to just hang out with me, even if it was while I was banging way at things, LOL. The farrier came last night to trim her feet. He agrees her right front is turned out some but he did not seem to think it would affect her future performance. He did not know if it would correct with better hoof care, but we'll give it a shot and then work with what we get. She was pretty good for him, but would pull her feet away from him if he holding it too long for her tastes. He was very patient with her though, so it was a good experience.

All in all, I am very happy with her so far and with how quickly she has settled in. She has called for her herd a few times, but it hasn't been excessive. She called out once and Pi answered and then the horse across the street chimed in and Pi looked at him like, "I wasn't asking for YOUR opinion." LOL ... Now that I am done with the corral work, I am looking forward to doing some other, different stuff with her.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Congratulations! She sounds like a good-minded horse, and quite nicely put together. The expression on your trainer's face was priceless; he likes this little mare!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love! the pic of her rolling!
Thanks @carshon! I loved that she felt comfortable enough to roll and really get into it, LOL.

Congratulations! She sounds like a good-minded horse, and quite nicely put together. The expression on your trainer's face was priceless; he likes this little mare!
Thanks @AnitaAnne. She seems to have a good mind and I'm really happy about that. Yea, my trainer did not like her much from her pix & video (had picked out 3-4 things he didn't like), but liked her A LOT better in person (all but one of those issues were gone, LOL). He was still concerned about her turned out right front, and still is, but is on the "wait and see" band wagon now since he likes her.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @Zexious. :) Never thought I'd own a palomino (not one of my favorite colors), but never thought I'd get a sorrel either, and ended up with Pi. She is a cute little thing and should develop into the cowhorse she's bred to be. But until she does, I'll definitely have fun playing with her and getting her prepared for her future job. :love:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night was good for Scarlett! We worked a little more on leading and bending. I also put the hose on her with a strong mist which she tolerated and then seemed to really enjoy (it was hot and humid out!). I even "misted" her head and she was curious enough to lip the misting water. I am pleased with her progress and hope to be taking off the halter in her pen soon. Weather was threatening to thunder storm, but in the end bypassed us. :-( Some pix from last night (hard to get one of her on lead since she is in my face when the camera is up, LOL), the weather light made her particularly golden:

You can see her in the lower right corner ...

·
Super Moderator
13,692 Posts
She is a beauty and going to be a remarkable horse...
Let time and nature with some small human tweaking work on "fixing", strengthening any issues...
Lena horses are tough...

Now that name, "Scarlett" is perfect...
Such a hidden gem...
Enjoy her and hugs for the hole you still have from losing your other...
We never forget, but time has a way of allowing us to love again fiercely...
It is your time.
:runninghorse2:.....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is a beauty and going to be a remarkable horse...Let time and nature with some small human tweaking work on "fixing", strengthening any issues...
Thank you @horselovinguy. She is a pretty little filly and I have high hopes for her. That is exactly the plan - give her the tools (good nutrition & care, including hoof care, & exercise; and some mind challenges) she needs and let her grow. More than likely I think her issues will resolve through maturity if she has the proper "tools" to do that with.

Lena horses are tough...
That is good to know! :grin:

Now that name, "Scarlett" is perfect... Such a hidden gem...
I like it too! I didn't like the name my friend gave Pi (Ferrah :rolleyes:), but I do like Scarlett ... and it suits her.

Enjoy her and hugs for the hole you still have from losing your other...
We never forget, but time has a way of allowing us to love again fiercely... It is your time.
Thank you for this; Star will always be extremely special to me and I cannot ever forget everything she did for me and gave me. She definitely still lives in my heart. But, part of life is moving forward ... never forget, but keep moving forward. And so I shall ... with Pi and Scarlett. :love:

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
What a cutie! I like her and I love how she's bred. I'm looking forward to following your journey with your new filly :)

I'm sorry for the loss of your other horse. The hurt never really goes away, but it does get easier, and a new horse when the time is right can help that heal. I'm happy you got a fun new filly as a project.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a cutie! I like her and I love how she's bred. I'm looking forward to following your journey with your new filly :)

I'm sorry for the loss of your other horse. The hurt never really goes away, but it does get easier, and a new horse when the time is right can help that heal. I'm happy you got a fun new filly as a project.
Thank you @SilverMaple. I am sure Scarlett will help ease the pain of the loss of my beloved Star. In many ways she is like Star in personality. Can't wait until we get her under saddle and see if it carries through there!

Last night we experimented with the fly spray, LOL. She had so many flies on her I took a chance to start her on it. She was actually pretty good, although she was pretty afronted by the short bursts of wet, LOL. I did put some on my hand to rub on her face and by the end I was able to spray her shoulder without her being bothered by it. I'm really pleased with her mind though; very curious and willing to please, but thinking. She'll do well with that on the cow!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not had much time to play with Scarlett as I was prepping Pi for her 1st show since May. But spent a little time yesterday with her. Started off just tossing the leadrope over her neck and back. She thought I was going to kill her, LOL, but I it didn't take long for her to realize that the rope was not hurting her and that if she stopped, I stopped. Spent a lot of time rubbing it on her as well. She's getting to like that.

Then I was cleaning out the trailer dressing room and had my one "pre-show" shirt in there since I change into my show shirt in my dressing room and thought, "Hey, another Scarlett opportunity!" So took it out there and practiced just flapping it around. Again, she thought I was going kill her (even though I was pretty far away to start, LOL), but thought it was great when I balled it all up and rubbed her all over with it. Went to flapping it again after that and she was better and quickly caught on when she stopped and looked at me, I'd stop.

Still cleaning up after the show and decided to hang Pi's nylon camo sheet just outside of Scarlett's fence. You would have hit was a dead cougar or something, LOL. She was pretty active, but by the time I got back over there with the camera, she was only giving it hard looks, LOL. Then I hung it on her fence, which she was actually better with it and came up to sniff it when I called her over.

I did have one incident with her in the morning, but it just shows she's more a flight than fight type pony. I have her feed bucket in the shelter. I will routinely go in with her and stand and rub on her while she's eating. So the other morning I was doing that and stopped for a minute. She must have forgotten I was there because when I reached out to touch her again, she startled hard, and jumped into the closed end of the shelter with her butt up against me, got all turned out and hurried out of the shelter. She never indicated she was going to kick at all, which I was very happy with. :) I called her back over and rubbed on her again and brought her back in to the shelter and rubbed on her again while she ate. Settled down quickly. She's getting a lot more curious and relaxed and more attentive to me, but still a little nervous. I can't blame her for that, she's probably still trying to figure out what happened, LOL. But she starting to look to me when things get a little much for her. Good sign. :)

From all this I can tell she is going to be QUICK on a cow. Gotta get my velcro ready for my saddle. :grin:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Horses used to living in a herd tend to 'react' rather than think if startled at feeding time because if they don't move when the boss mare wants their feed, they get pummeled. It's good she didn't offer to kick. She'll settle down.
Star was never like that, but then she was exceptional (don't we all think that about our heart horses? :cool:). So I never thought of that, but it makes sense for Scarlett.

She's becoming very sweet now and shows she is settling down. We played with the nylon sheet next to her last night and rubbed on her neck & shoulder; she was a little concerned but handled it well. Picked up all four feet; she was a little hard to get them up (not bad, just not instant), but did not pull them away once I had them up. And we worked on the tossing of the lead rope across her neck and back. On the right side she was great; took a little more work on the left side. We also worked on walking a circle & bending both ways. And finally she began to find out the joys of a rubber curry, LOL. Those few minutes were enough to make her think that life is certainly good at the moment!

I don't spend a LOT of time working her, but make it count. All of the above was maybe 20-25 minutes? Just enough to touch on things, get some recognition of what I'm asking and then that's about it. She's pretty much a sponge and wants to please, so it is a lot of fun working with her. :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last night was a fun playtime! Got the saddle pad on her with no fuss at all! Took it in to the pen, let her smell it, had it folded it half and rubbed her on the shoulder and back with it and then put it on her back. Did both sides. It didn't bother her in the least, but then we just stood there. She walked a few steps, but I wanted to save that for another day. Last night I wanted it to be just a stress free experience

We'll see about walking with it tonight. :)

And Scarlett got introduced to the mane brush ... she was not to sure about it, but in the end liked how it scratched her neck, so she was all for it, LOL. Got her mane and forelock combed out.

Next task is her tail!

And just because I think this shows her condition a week and 1/2 after she's been at my place ... think she has filled out a little!

She looks TALL in this pix, but she really isn't that tall .. LOL.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took Scarlett out of her pen for the first time yesterday. She was a little hesitant but readily followed me. We worked on staying on the same side of the hand that is holding the lead rope. I don't think she'll have much of a problem with that, but need to practice (of course).

Played with loading in the trailer. She will readily load with you, but is not good at sending, but hey, she's NEVER been sent before, so I'm not concerned. She will not stay in the trailer alone (I did not close the door, it was always open during our session), but would stay if you were in there with her. Again, not a concern, just seeing where she's at. I do practice sending her around me, not lunging, but at a walk. She's picking it up. Just need more of that. When I would unload her I let her turn around to walk out. When we have a little more control under our belts, we'll work on backing out.

Then I faked tied her, LOL ... I have telephone poles as anchor poles in her pen. They were put there by the previous owners of the property. There is one about 6' (?) tall at the shelter opening, that has a rough top, so I put the lead rope on top of that. It will "catch" the rope, but if she panics and pulls it will not hold it. The first time she started to walk off, it fell off. :icon_rolleyes: Operator error. The next time, after an adjustment, it stopped her. She could have pulled it off, but when she hit the end, she stopped and stood. Good deal for me! LOL ... I don't think she's going to be hard to teach to tie at all.

Cleaned her up a bit with the hose, brushed both mane & tail, and tried fly spray again ... she was great both times. She was a little concerned with the hose on her back legs, but then realized, it was not hurting her and she was good. She was not bothered at all by the fly spray. :) I even sprayed her later, again (the flies are horrible) and she was not bothered by it.

And last, but not least, I took Pi over when Scarlett was in her pen so they could sniff each other. The first time was short and sweet. The second time a little longer then Pi gently nipped at her nose, LOL, like "youngster". They should be fine together. Will do that a few more times and then see about turning them out together.

Sorry no pix this time. :-(

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Faux tied Scarlett again last night.

She actually bumped up against the end of the lead and at one point got "stuck" (where she thought she couldn't move her head), but didn't panic at all, just moved around so she was unstuck. While "tied" I cleaned all her hooves, brushed her mane and tail and curried her. She was great. Worked a little on moving the HQ and just bending her neck both ways. Fly sprayed her again and she was fine with it. Doesn't really like her head done (no one does!) but only just raised it a bit. I'm really pleased with her mind - she wants to please and really tries to do what she thinks you're asking for.

1 - 20 of 812 Posts