The Horse Forum banner

741 - 760 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
Finally, the Snaffle Bit update.

They started Open fence work on Monday. Sarah Dawson was up early - like the 1st set - and laid down this run:

Sarah's Fence Run

which cemented her Finals entry with a 225.5. It's such a beautiful ride; I think those who came after her got scored lower since they looked really clunky after her soft ride.

Stayed on Pins/Needles through yesterdays runs, which ended Open fence prelims, hoping she'd stay high point on the cow; and she DID! She qualified TWO of the three horses she rode in the prelimins for the finals. Her husband, Chris, rode FIVE horses in the prelims but couldn't get any qualified for the finals ... the closest he had he missed the cut off by 1/2 a point. :-|

Here's who's made the finals (which start Thursday):

Open:

Open Cow $$ winners:

Intermediate:

Limited:

And Level 1 $$ placings results (no finals for Level 1):

This afternoon is Open Hackamore finals ... webcasted on nrcha.com. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Congrats on your placings in the series! I like that she was a bit dull. It’s always easier to wake one up than it is to go the other direction.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
Congrats on your placings in the series!
Thank you @Knave! Made me wish I would have shown the 1st show! LOL ...

I like that she was a bit dull. It’s always easier to wake one up than it is to go the other direction.
True! But Matt said it worried me since that is not "normal" for Scarlett, LOL ... but since changing things up with her pad, her "normal" is shifting. Towards better! He just needs to get used to it. :razz:

Well, the Open Hackamore class was "interesting". Cows in the 1st set were dull and lazy. But no new cows awarded. Lance on last year's Snaffle Bit winner pulled up off the cow and walked out. So zero on the cow. A few others did the same in both sets. Erin Taormino was in the 2nd and pulled off a 441 run, which I think wins the class.

In between the 1s & 2nd sets, there was something happening with a banner in the arena. A friend said it was a Yellowstone banner. In the next class - Cowhorse for Cutters - there are a few entries for "Yellowstone"; so I'm thinking they were putting up the banner for Yellowstone since they were going to film during the Cowhorse for Cutters class. At the end of the Open Hack, the announcer said they did not know when they would be back - 30 or 45 minutes, so makes me think they are setting up to film some runs ... which is why the banner was put up? They're doing sound checks right now ...

Should be interesting; will be looking forward to seeing that class anywhere!

Speaking of Yellowstone, my cousin makes peace pipes (he's 1/2 Native American - 1/4 Cherokee, 1/4 Taos) and they had him make a pipe to use this season on the show. I'm excited for him!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
That’s cool! I finally watched that show and I really liked it. That is why we named the leppy buffalo Teeter. Lol

Reactions: COWCHICK77

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
@Knave, I've never seen it. :oops: My friends who watch it love it.

But, as with all good Hollywood stories, they caused a huge broo-ha-ha in the Hackamore class. After the 1st set they put up the Yellowstone banner ... it looks like this:

on the end gate near where the cows come out - so in this pix, on the right gate (if you are facing it) right under the far World's Greatest Horseman & World Championship stickers:

Apparently a lot of horses in the 2nd set spooked at the banner as they went by so much so that they took a zero in reining - mind you this the finals, so a lot of high dollar horses. There must have been a complaint about it - it would be one thing if if was only one or two horses, but it was a lot. So story goes, Executive Producer of the show, Terry Sheridan, ponied up $$ to pay EACH rider in the class what would have been paid to the winner ... $13,224. Nice! BTW, Erin Taomino won the class for the points & prizes:

FB exploded with opinions yesterday ... made me :rofl:

Open Finals Herd Work starts at 2 this afternoon (TX time) - it will be webcasted!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Limited & Intermediate Open final herdwork is completed. I was only really interested in the Limited results.

Chris Cox won the Ltd with a 216 on his horse (he owns him) OnceBluOak! :cheers: WooHoo, Go Chris! I'm a little partial. I love Chris Cox; I got to ride with him at Equine Affair one year. He was a nice guy.

Sista Jackson & Tyus Olson got a 214.5. Tyus also owns her.

Clinton Anderson and Don'tDrinkAndWorkCows (such a great name! it's a client's horse) got a 212.4.

I'll post the full results later.

Open Herd starts in a couple of hours. They will do the Non-Pro next (2 sets).

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
That gave me a really good laugh. I guess I should have borrowed husband’s Lucy and shown in the hack this year. Honestly though I doubt she’d spook at it. ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
That gave me a really good laugh. I guess I should have borrowed husband’s Lucy and shown in the hack this year. Honestly though I doubt she’d spook at it. ;)
It made me laugh as well. Some of my staunch cowhorse friends were a little offended at the criticism of the horses spooking at it, pointing out that cow horses especially are bred to notice the difference in things and are bred to react to those differences. I hadn't thought about that.

QH News posted this pix:

which illustrates how most of the horses reacted to it & which would either get you a huge mark down or a zero. Since this was in the 2nd set (the 1st set the banner was not up) it put those riders at a distinct disadvantage; and there being some cash on the line since it was the finals for the hackamore class, it was really unfair to the 2nd set.

All in all it was an unfortunate incident, but I think they did the best they could to "remedy" it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #751 (Edited)
No personal horse news from the weekend, but I did get this video of Pi:

Friday was the finals for Open Limited and Intermediate divisions at the Snaffle Bit Futurity, EXCEPT there were a few riders in those divisions also in the Open finals, which was not until Saturday. Chris Cox was in the Limited and Clinton Anderson was in the Ltd Open & the Intermediate. Both did OK in herd & rein work; was surprised Clinton didn't do better in reining, though as that is is forte. As usual, it all came down to the fence work; it was evident neither were as smooth as compared to the cowhorse guys, but each got it done. Chris scored better with a 213.5 as compared to Clinton's 205, which, in the end put Chris 4th in the Ltd. Open & Clinton 6th. Clinton ended up 15th in the Intermediate. So Clinton won a little $$ in both and Chris earned some in his division.

Of course the BIG even, the Open Finals, was Saturday night. The Ladies were in the house: Sarah Dawson had two horses in the finals - I was so excited for her! Erin Taormino had one and Gusti Buerger was in ALL THREE division! Ltd, Intermed. & Open.

After the herd & rein work, Sarah was sitting pretty on Smart Chic An Tari for the fence work, needing only about a 220 to get 1st with a commanding lead; an EASY score for her to get.

She had an early draw (4th out) and came in looking tenative and a little nervous. The cows were TOUGH throughout the entire finals, which usually isn't a problem for her, but she made some mistakes which cost her. Still she came out with a 219, and went to the lead with a 656.

She kept her lead for about a set and 1/2, when Zane Davis on SnapDragons scored a 222 on the cow, to squeeze ahead by 1/2 a point. Zane, of course, is a SBF veteran and laid it all on the line. With these tough cows, you had no idea how they would score and they all had bobbles with the cows. Seemed like boxing wasn't too bad for everyone and they could usually get the 1st turn, after which, for the most part, it went to hell in a handbasket. But some managed to hold it together enough, like Zane, for a decent score.

Then Clay Volmer on Ricato Sauve, who had been in the lead for the entire finals, was up. His run went like most - boxing good, 1st turn good then the trouble started. He ended up with a 216 to tie Zane's 656.5! However, in cowhorse, high cow score breaks the tie, so Zane was in the 1st. Sarah was pushed to 3rd.

Corey Cushing on CR Woody Dig It could steal it all with a GOOD cow run, but the cows were not cooperative; he ended up with a 219 for a 655.5 composite.

Sarah was up on her 2nd horse, Selvery, one her parents had bred, in draw 26 - three from the end. I wasn't as impressed with this horse as I had been with Smart Chic An Tari, but she had a chance with it ... she needed a 220 to tie and 220.5+ to win. When she rode in the pen I could see her confidence was back and crossed my fingers. Her tried the same tricks, but she was on it - a "typical" Sarah run ... here's her run:

Sarah Dawson & Selvery

She scored a 224! Composite of 660.5!! She won the 2020 NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity not only during this crazy covid year but 6 months after having a BABY! Only the 2nd woman to win, 27 years after Sandy Collier!

Whoa Equine posted this pix of her during her interview, it's my favorite:

They ended up with high Cow score for the finals, too.

She and Smart Chic An Tari ended up 4th, for a nice paycheck.

Here's the final placings - Open:

Intermediate:

Limited:

What a thrill ride it was to watch! So happy for her!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Shades of the future ... Matt sent me this last night ... I doctored it up a bit, LOL ...

That cheek looks good on her. I'm getting more and more settled with bringing her home next month after the final CRCHA show. Will have to make the concerted effort to get on her frequently during the week, not just on weekends. We have to start building our riding relationship.

And, in preparation for her coming home, I'm going to reconfigure her stall a bit. Open it up and make it bigger & hoping to make it more of a shelter than a wind tunnel. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I’m excited you are bringing her home to start your own journey with her! She’s saved all these wins for you, and I just think you are going to have a wonderful relationship!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
Thank you @Knave! It's a big daunting - she can be a handful at times; usually at the beginning of a show (in the warm up). But I'm ready to put in the time. If my knee cooperates. :-/

Saturday I went up to Matt's in the late afternoon to ride. Pi was doing really good and I was nice and relaxed. Got some good stops on her. Matt's still riding Scarlett in the hackamore - She's looking great in it and he got a few nice stops on her, too:

We went down to play with the donkeys and it was nice SLOW work, which is something Pi really needs; she did really really well and not trying to rush and by getting back before she turned. Really a nice fun time. Scarlett was awesome as well; unfortunately no pix of that.

I decided last week I was going to redo Scarlett's shelter for when she comes home. So will widen it and hopefully enclose it. I don't want to tear it all down & figured I could do what I want w/out doing that. But it entailed taking all the corrugated metal sheeting from the sides of the two shelters (lots of lag bolts and old nails and taking the wire off the front under the metal sheets).

Here's a old pix of front of the shelters:

And the back:

Finally got it all taken apart on Sunday:

Matt will come down towards the end of the week to give his input on what I want to do (he built his shedrow barn). He's going to keep Scarlett until the 1st of Dec. so I can get something configured ...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
Final placings for HiDHA came in ... This is what I've figured:

Matt/Me Open Placings:

Open Ranch Riding - Matt 2nd, Me 4th
Open Ranch Rail - Matt 3rd, Me 7th
Open Ranch Reining - Matt 1st, Me 3rd
Open Ranch Trail - Matt 3rd, Me 1st

Matt - Open RH Division Reserve

Gayle’s placings:

W/J Open Ranch Riding - 1st
W/J Open Ranch Rail - 3rd
W/J Open Ranch Reining - 1st
W/J Open Ranch Trail - 1st

Gayle is W/J Open RH Division Winner

Conformation:

Matt 4th, Gayle 5th, Me 8th & Matthew 12th

Overall Ranch Horse Placings (includes all divisions):

1 Ronda/Im so Busy 107
2 Matt/Sheza Smart Nu Ride 80
3 Gayle/Rita 75
4 Marcia/Peppy Cayenne Rose 72
5 Chris/Remi 66.5
6 Stacey/Tuff with Dignity 60.5
7 Adriane/Toaster 60
8 Me/Nu Shiney Shocks 51
9 Diana/JP Juniper Orphan 49
10 Katrina/WR Annies Berry Wine 43.5
11 Daniel/Chex Me I’m Dun Two 24.5
12 Matthew/Rowdy 23

It'll be a fun awards Banquet - when ever that will be!

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Congrats on the placings!

I have to say, Pi cracks me up!

So exciting to have Scarlett home. Is she home for the holiday/show season break or are you going to be showing her next year? I hope so!

The hackamore class...
I have my own theory. Along with cowhorses being cowhorses, that banner looks a lot like a flag. I realize the banner was bigger with yellow print...
At work, we have to put the flag and string over the top of the back of the arena if the boss is working cattle that day. The lead steer who keeps the heifers in the middle likes to rub the underneath side of his horns and ears on the string and tears it down if we don't put it over the fence. If the flag is inside the arena and it didn't get put over, if we are just loping horses every single horse does the same thing those horses did in the show pen, they start to lope by, catch it in their eye and react like they did. Plus they probably got free time in there without the banner at some point beforehand and noticed the difference, especially a black and yellow banner on a white fence where the cattle come out. Just my theory..LOL

Really cool Sarah won the SB! Heck all them gals showing in the open, holy smokes!

Excited for Zane, Snapdragons is close to home in a way, know the owner/family. Excited for them as well! Big feather in their cap and the breeding program they are building. My new filly is coming from them.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #758 (Edited)
Congrats on the placings!
Thank you! I wish I would have shown the first show, but I didn't. Still I'm happy with my placings. I think Matt is a little shocked I beat him in the Trail class, LOL! He had a shot of winning our division & overall Ranch Horse, but we were up against a seasoned reiner, who the judges loved, so she wracked up the points in the last show with both judges and there was no catching her. I'm pretty pleased with their reserve placing though. She was the youngest horse in the division and probably the one with the least amount of show experience. Not too bad!

I have to say, Pi cracks me up!
She is pretty funny. Just your regular sassy red head! :biggrin:

So exciting to have Scarlett home. Is she home for the holiday/show season break or are you going to be showing her next year? I hope so!
She will be home permanently and I'll show her next year. I think Matt's a little burned out; it's been a long two years and this year has not help with the inconsistent show schedule.

Now to just get the shelter back up for her; I re-injured my knee on Sunday, I guess; didn't really feel anything while I was working, but yesterday, I could barely walk on it and was getting sharp pains in it. Yea a PITA this injured knee is. :evil: Just when I have a lot of stuff to do ...

The hackamore class...
I have my own theory. Along with cowhorses being cowhorses, that banner looks a lot like a flag.
Your theory is a good one; while many people opined that they should be "trained enough" to ride past it, as we know, these horses are highly tuned to their environment, especially any changes to the area where the cows come out! So not only NOT being there before, it did look like a cow/flag. Alot of people are over it and chiding those still going on about it saying the riders/Yellowstone & NRCHA are all happy with the solution so nothing left to discuss. :razz: It did provide a little entertainment, LOL ...

Really cool Sarah won the SB! Heck all them gals showing in the open, holy smokes!
Right? The women were bringing it to the Open Finals!

Excited for Zane, Snapdragons is close to home in a way, know the owner/family. Excited for them as well! Big feather in their cap and the breeding program they are building. My new filly is coming from them.
That's pretty awesome! Zane had an insane ride on Snapdragons (who is a VERY nice horse) and would have won it if Sarah had not regained her composure from her Smart Chic An Tari ride (which was NOT her normal ride - I think she was nervous; she looked nervous to me) and put in her usual stellar fence run. Still it was a great finish for Snapdragons! Congrats for his owners and I can't wait to see pix of your filly!

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Sorry to hear about your knee!
I'm in the same boat. I broke my foot back in June, didn't know it until last month when I finally went in for an MRI. I've been in a walking boot for a month, another month to go but hopefully it'll keep me out of surgery. But I agree, there is always so much to do this time of year to get ready for winter. I'm starting to climb the curtains ..lol

I'm hoping to go get my filly next month, I'll post pics when I do.
It is so exciting you have Scarlett home, you guys are going to do great things together!

741 - 760 of 784 Posts