The Horse Forum banner

761 - 780 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
Thanks Ladies on my knee; dopey thing, I hate getting old! It's pretty painful but I am able to walk on it. Usually have the very stiff brace on it (it has metal hinges on the side - very lovely & fashionable with dresses :rolleyes:), but at night switch to the one without braces. Back to the ice packs and red light therapy.

I broke my foot back in June, didn't know it until last month when I finally went in for an MRI. I've been in a walking boot for a month, another month to go but hopefully it'll keep me out of surgery. But I agree, there is always so much to do this time of year to get ready for winter. I'm starting to climb the curtains ..lol
Yikes! @COWCHICK77! Will keep my fingers crossed that you heal up nice and good so NO surgery! I didn't want to go for a MRI, but now thinking it may be a good idea. Yea, injures really put a crimp in our style ... not happy about that. Especially as I have to get the shelter put together for Scarlett. May have to see if my neighbor is available. :think:

I'm hoping to go get my filly next month, I'll post pics when I do.
Ooooo so excited to see the pix!!

It is so exciting you have Scarlett home, you guys are going to do great things together!
Thank you. :love: I'm a little apprehensive, but am getting more settled to the idea; it's been two years she's been with Matt. Two and 1/2 years. But I've been able to watch her and she has a good heart; just have to get in her brain she needs to be less silly with me, LOL. But she's only silly in warm up; once she gets down to working she's pretty awesome.

Wow what a pretty girl!! Great pic! Excited to hear how her coming home works out. Hope you get her shelter finished.
Thanks @lb27312. That's one thing we always joked about when I got her; I was all "hoping she can work a cow good". Everyone else, including her breeder would say, "oooo she's sooooo pretty!" :lol: But when I see pix like the one above, I too think, "oooo she's so pretty!" LOL ...

Can't wait for the pics of you on Scarlet
Thanks @carshon. I'm sure Matt will get some when I go up for lessons ... when he's not cringing at my riding his highly tuned baby, LOL. I think he's ready for the break but I know it'll be a little hard since he's had her for so long. This is the longest he's ever had a horse in training. Keeping my fingers crossed they do good at the next (last) show so they go out on a good note. She does great at home; just need to get that in the show pen.

I forgot to put up pix of the Sunset from Saturday ... Here ya go:

Then I played around with Prisma/GoArt on a few Saturday Pix:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
That is something I never considered @COWCHICK77. It makes sense to me once you say it. My parents’ flag is the only I’ve used, but it actually is a stuffed cow. Lol. It even kinda looks at the horse in its stuffed cow way and how the wires work. Big girl and I were going to try it the other day, and she was super excited, but Cash had never seen it (obviously he needs to lol) and right when I put it up the wind started to blow. She was holding Cash from Bones and he started lunging around her snorting about the dang stuffed cow and I couldn’t see if I left it how I could keep her out of a wreck while I went to get him from her, so I decided the windy day wasn’t the day to start him. Lol

Congratulations on your placings kewpalace!!! I bet it will be a fun banquet!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
Thank you @Knave!

Weekend was not conducive weather wise to ride; very windy, cold, rainy/snowy on Saturday and hailing/snowing on Sunday, although not much stuck. It was 21 this morning and the ice on the troughs about an inch thick. Pi was happy to be out of her pen, though. I did get the rest of the wire off the shelters and am ready to decide what the next move is. Matt will come down and give his opinion on Wednesday.

CRCHA just posted they have 165 runs for Friday. :shock:

The schedule was (it was a two show weekend) to have a full show on Friday, Saturday would be the 2nd show's fence work and a saddle shoot off at the end & Sunday would be all the boxing with a saddle shootoff at the end.

Now, they said they will have all the 1st show's fence work on Friday (78 runs!),
The 1st show boxing 1st thing Saturday morning and the 2nd show's fence work Saturday afternoon and then the saddle shoot off.
Sunday will remain the same.

They didn't say how many fence runs are on Saturday.

Matt/Scarlett will go up on Thursday night. I'll follow on Friday morning. Glad I'm not showing, but will still miss it. At least I'll get to see my friend's ride.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Well, I just found out some BS news ... NOT happy right now.

CRCHA usually has 10 shows a year. This year they only had 6. Rulebook says to qualify for year end awards you have to show in 1/2 the shows. Scarlett/Matt, with this weekend, would have qualified as they would have shown 4 of the 6 shows. BUT CRCHA JUST announced they are basing year end awards on the planned shows (so 10 shows), NOT the number of shows that went forwarded (6 shows). So that means Scarlett/Matt are out for year end awards. If this was not their last show together, I would cancel their entry. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #769
That is BS!!!!
I am sure you are not the only caught in that trap. Sounds like they are rigging it so just certain people qualify. That is BS!
ARGHHH!!! That is BS! That is so wrong!! How can they do that?? How can they base any of that on shows that never happened?? I hope they withdraw that thinking!!
I am not the only one, of course. They are cutting some big names out of the running. And it is total BS. I am going to talk to the President tonight to express my objection (and will likely follow up with a written objection to all board members). It completely takes the class Scarlett is in out of year end awards as there will be NO qualified person.

I think what fries me the most is the LATE notice. If they would have said this before the last show or at even by the beginning of October we could have attended that show or decide not to show at all this weekend and go to Santa Ynez instead.

Yea, Santa Ynez, MidState & Temecula look a LOT better next year than CRCHA. So ****ed.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
Wow, this new software/look will take some getting used to.

I talked to the CRCHA president last night. He cracks he up; he talks very slow and goes into excruciating detail on things. We talked for an hour and half. Oy. Bottom line is they had made a "guarantee" (I don't remember this or if I heard it, I didn't pay much attention to it) that for each class the 1st place qualifying rider would win a saddle - that's a huge cost of course and this was to be the first year for that. But since their derby/pre-futurity and a few other shows were cancelled, they didn't get that income and couldn't see awarding saddles in every class. By making the qualifying cut-off at 5 shows, I think they have to give away 3 or 4 saddles as opposed to 10-13.

I also brought up that the timing of their announcement precluded those who are not now eligible for any year end award from NOT showing CRCHA and from going to another show, where there was a possibility of winning something. He didn't really have an answer for that except the Board was just slow on the uptake.

I told him I would not be in the running for a saddle and am not concerned about the saddles; but I was interested in a year end award - SOMETHING, it didn't have to be big! (Although a buckle would be nice). Anyway, as expected, nothing was changed, but I did put a bug in his ear to bring up at the next board meeting to NOT cut off awards for the beginning boxing classes at an arbitrary number (such as down to 5th place when 10 people had qualified) but to think about awarding ALL those who do qualify - doesn't have to be a big thing, but just recognition that they put in the time and money.

He also encouraged me to ride in the Novice NonPro Ltd (Greener than Grass) since I was still eligible for that. I am hesitant and it goes against my thinking that that class is for the beginners and I have been at this quite a bit. He said as long as I qualified for it under their rules, I could ride in it. I'm still not convinced.

We talked about a lot of things (as you can imagine in an hour and half!). But it was a civil talk. He thanked me for calling and said the Board doesn't hear from ANYONE, so it was nice to hear another perspective.

Anyway, I got it off my chest. We'll go to the show, but, as I told him, we are rethinking showing with CRCHA next year. I think that gave him a little pause too, since I've shown with them for quite a few years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, this new software/look will take some getting used to.
I have enjoyed reading this journal. I love seeing how much Scarlett has improved since you got her. This has provided entertainment for me in my boring life :( for the last week or two :). I'm a little late to this thread (sorry!). I hope your leg gets better too.
I am also having to get used to the new software on this site.:rolleyes: I've been on here for a year (without account) and it is the same, but then when I got to page 33 of this journal it was like boom! destroy everything you know about this site! Really kinda annoying but whatever... I guess they have to keep it up to date or something.
I also hope that they fix the show thing. That's just really inconvenient and BS.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Thank you All About Hope! Welcome to my Journal and glad you are enjoying my journey with Scarlett & Pi. :)

I'm sure once we get used to the new software, it'll be OK. Just a pain trying to get used to it, LOL ...

Yea, the show thing will not be fixed. It is what it is for this year; as with everything, COVID has affected the show world as well. That's OK; it's only showing. As Knave said, Scarlett's probably saving all her wins for me, ROFL!

Knee is feeling better. I am going without a brace today; so far so good, but it's weird to feel the knee/tendons, etc., actually moving in there. Trying to be really careful as I know (and can feel) it would not be hard for it to get reinjured.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I think it’s going to take me an adjustment as well with the software. At least there is the like button on this (I am always on my phone on the forum) and I don’t have to keep swapping views.

I am sorry about the awards. I guess I get it, but it is still bs. I feel like they should have just owned the issue and said, “we’re stuck doing buckles this year instead of saddles. Apologies to all, but this happened...” Everyone would probably understand, but they wouldn’t feel like their prize was taken from them.

i can’t believe it’s their last show!! I’m so excited for you to take her over!!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
I'm not sure I like this new format, but nothing to do but try to get used to it. Which is why I haven't posted as much; no time to mess around with it. :-/

Back from the show on Saturday. It was not a very successful one for us, but there were improvements, especially in reining. But the cows were horrible and Matt's in-show-pen decisions didn't go very well, LOL. So they ended up 6th out of 7 on Friday and 5th out of 8 on Saturday. It was the cow scores that killed us. Surprisingly, she had a huge improvement in reining - got all her stops AND lead changes, both a big problem in the past.

On Friday Scarlett was a bit of a mess and distracted in the show pen. On Saturday, she was nice and relaxed. I could see the horse I'll be riding on Saturday. :love:

It was kind of a sad thing, since this was their last show together. I was hoping it would go better for them. Reining definitely did, even if the Judge's didn't score her what consensus was. So I followed the Sheridan's home, with the plan being they would keep Scarlett until beginning of December, so I could get her shelter put back together.

Santa Ynez put out their first show of 2021 - a Ranch Horse/Stockhorse show on 1/30 and a cowhorse show on 1/31. I posted the flyer on my FB page; Matt saw it and made a comment about it only being another 2.5 months ... :unsure: So I posted, "Does that mean you want to keep her & show her at SY?" He responded "🤠". LOL ... so I guess she is staying there through January. Which give me plenty of time to get her shelter ready.

I'll post pix & video from the show later. Haven't had much time to get my act together, LOL ....

A few excellent things from the show ... my friend Lissa (who I bought Pi and Scarlett from; she bred Scarlett) won both her classes on both days (NRCHA AND club classes!) and ended up the 1k Circuit Champ for the weekend with a few nice checks! This was on Pi's 1/2 brother who was pulled out of the pasture at the beginning of the year when her other horse unexpectedly died. AND she qualified for the Saddle Shootout (high cow score in each club class got to box for a saddle). She came in 4th, but the woman who won it had the most gritty, gusty ride I've seen from her; she's a VERY nice person and worked for the win. It was well deserved.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
You should show her at sy!

Reactions: kewpalace

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
You should show her at sy!
:LOL:

I thought about it @Knave, before Matt indicated he wanted to. I'm happy to let him do it; get a few more months and a little more show experience before I take over the reins.

Pi was full of herself last night when I went to put her in her pen. She reared up about 5-6 times and ran all over the turn out. I let her do it; she comes to me when she's through with her hissy fit, LOL.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Those photos are excellent!

761 - 780 of 784 Posts