The Horse Forum banner

781 - 793 of 793 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great pics!!! How exciting about SY and that Matt wants to show her! Sounds like he's going to miss her when she's gone. But I was looking forward to hearing about her coming home to you!

Sorry about the last show not going as well as planned but her stops look awesome!! And to me the cow work looked cool! But I'm not a judge! lol

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
Those photos are excellent!
Thanks @Knave! I wish she would have gotten some other stop pix, but I am pleased with the ones I got. Those were about the best cow pix she could have gotten ... cow work did not go well ... :rolleyes:

Talked briefly with Matt last night on the way home. He said he got some good rides on Scarlett and is working on her anticipating the lead change in the show pen, which she never did before this show. I said, "Welcome to my world." :LOL: Still need to get up to give him some $$ & talk about next year. Maybe next week ...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
Thanks @lb27312! I think Matt wants to redeem himself in the show pen, LOL. It was not a good show to go out on. Plus, I think he wants to go to SY; he's never been and everyone raves about it - with good cause. It's typically much smaller with $$ & day prizes. And the setting is lovely.

I'll eventually get to the video I took and post them. Yea, you'll not think the cow work looked so cool ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
At least she got good pictures! When I took Bones in to show he was terrible. He just wasn’t himself at all, but he finally hooked on to this half blind cow in the end. Lol. Did I see a good picture? Nope. It was like she didn’t even try. Lol

Reactions: kewpalace

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
She got some real clunkers of them; these were the best of the lot. She has yet to get any good ones of Pi when I show her. Like you and Bones ... it was as if she wasn't even trying. Her timing is not real good usually, but she got some good ones of other people.

Kevin Stallings, who rode NMSU Truckin Chex in Cow Horse (put some cash on him) suffered some serious medical issues the last year+ and has some other major surgery coming up. They are holding a benefit auction - lots of stallion breedings and various other items. Richard Winters donated a spot in next year's Ride the Ranch at the V-6 Ranch in Parkfield. I bid on it ... I'll bid up to the actual (estimated) cost of a spot (I kind of know what it is from going a few years ago) and thought if I win, I'd take Scarlett. So far, I'm high bidder, but it doesn't end until 12/15, so there is plenty of time to be outbid, LOL. If I am I'll look to see what's available in the stallion breedings!

Pi had a moderate colic issue on Sunday night. I rode her, but towards the end of the ride she was not feeling right. I went down to my neighbor's for her feeding instructions (I'm feeding for her on Thanksgiving & Friday) and when I came back Pi was not moving and looked miserable; she wasn't interested in dinner either. :-( I walked her for about 45 minutes before I called Matt when she wasn't getting much better & wanted to go down and asked if he could come and give her some banamine (which I had from the beginning of the year). So he did (& he's really good at it, LOL). I tied her up for a couple of hours so she wouldn't roll & to let the banamine kick in. Went down with soaked pellets and untied her and she was HUNGRY and eager to eat! Yeah! Yesterday morning she was better and seemed back to her old self by evening. Seemed good this morning. Have no clue what went on, but hate when that happens. Really stresses me out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Loved the videos!! Great rides.... I liked Saturday's best but both were good!

Yikes on Pi.... did you just want Matt for support for the colic? Or does he do the intravenous for the Banamine? Just curious.... I've done it but it was just orally... but it helped quick enough...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Loved the videos!! Great rides.... I liked Saturday's best but both were good!
Thanks @lb27312! Saturday's was definitely better; she was flying high on Friday! LOL ...

did you just want Matt for support for the colic? Or does he do the intravenous for the Banamine?
He gives the shot interveneously. Takes him 2 seconds; would take me forever! LOL ... He's close enough that he can just come down. He said I could do it orally, but it's quicker with the shot.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
My parents lost their good cowhorse this year. They took him to a big hospital where they did wonders for him, although he didn’t end up making it in the end.

It started with a colic. Dad gave the banamine in a shot. Anyways, the horse had very bad ulcers and went down again in another colic another two times before being in the hospital. He fractured his skull and ended up cast... lots to it. They told dad to never give the banamine in a shot again. They said it creates the ulcers. I know that was something we had never heard. We always gave a shot.

They said from now on to just do it orally.

Reactions: bsms

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
@Knave, such a horrible sad story! I'm so sorry for them.

I have never heard that about banamine & ulcers. None of my vets have ever told me that, including the one who sold me the banamine. Thank goodness we rarely have to give them banamine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
@Knave - Wow that's so very sad for your parents.... sounds like a terrible story!

I hadn't heard that either I just haven't done a shot in so long that I'm nervous now. I haven't had to give orally in a long time but when I did it seemed to help pretty quickly, probably not as fast as the shot but it worked. My vet is good in that she'll trade out my Banamine every few years... It often isn't even opened...

Sorry @kewpalace for high-jacking your thread with Banamine!

781 - 793 of 793 Posts