·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I’m sorry about your friend.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
Thank you @Knave. The chat board I met my friend on tanked about the time FB got started, so they transferred over to FB in a private page. Activity on that board has been sporadic, but since my friend passed, people have reactivated the page to post memories and catch up with everyone else. While I'm FB friends with most of the people I really liked on that board, It's amazing how many more people have popped up and what everyone remembers. It's been a good healing thing - to "hang out" & reconnect with people who knew my friend and see where everyone is; and that they are just as shocked over my friend's death. Another amazing thing, is that many of the people on the board were teens (anywhere from 12+) and the stories they now tell about growing up, marrying, having kids & jobs and what the board actually meant to people and their journey in horsemanship/horse ownership or just horse education.

I posted my favorite pix of her and her warmblood on her FB page. There was much comment about the horse and what people remembered about him & her accomplishments with him. Her husband then posted a link to a site they had created when she had him, with all their accomplishments. It was a really nice read. If you are interested, it is here. BTW, the pix on that site were all taken by Sarah K. Andrew, who is a very talented photographer (mainly does race horses & thoroughbreds), who was part of the chat board. I always wanted her to come and take some pix of Star, but we never got it arranged. Could kick myself now.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The pictures are good. I see why you wanted her to take them.

Your friend was very accomplished!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
Well, things have taken another turn with Scarlett. Entries for SY came online yesterday, so I asked Matt if he wanted to go. When I was at his place on Saturday I asked if he was serious about Santa Ynez & he said he was at the time he posted, but he wasn't sure now. I was hoping he'd say he'd pass since it's a two day Stockhorse show & a Cowhorse show, so $$$$$. I could use that to help finish Scarlett's shelter. He talked it over with the family and they all voted not to go. Which is fine. I told him if he's interested in future shows, to let me know.

So NOW the plan is ... to see about switching my Brother Jackson Breeding to Scarlett. Matt's always said once a mare has a foal, it settles them a bit (some a lot) and I could use that in Scarlett. I ran it by some other cowhorse friends who agree that another year would be good for Scarlett. Matt thinks its a great idea as I can get used to her before I really start competing on her. I may take her to the local open show that has ranch horse classes & possibly the Bako Versatility shows, but probably not cow horse. AND I'm hoping that Scarlett will breed off the cooled semen rather than me having to haul Pi up to Wilton (5 hrs one way). I just need to contact Ramona Wold and see if that's a possibility. I'm sure it would be fine since she offered it before.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wow that's huge news!!! So when would you start trying to breed her? I know there's a lot to think about just curious! Some like to get it done early in the year.... I sooo can't wait to hear what's going to happen... it's like As The World Turns with Pi and Scarlett! lol jk

Sorry about SY though, even though saves big bucks it would have been kinda interesting to see how she would do.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
Wow that's huge news!!! So when would you start trying to breed her?
Well, we'd want an early baby - March or April would be ideal. So I'll call the vet bout getting her into the vet in March/April. Hoping 🤞she takes the cooled semen; but will only do a couple of tries with her. I'm over the marathon attempts, LOL.

I sooo can't wait to hear what's going to happen... it's like As The World Turns with Pi and Scarlett!
😂😂 That's Funny!!! LOL ... Now the big question is ... do I show Pi in the January CRCHA show? It's in Paso; a 3 hour dr. And we've have NO practice and unlikely to get any before then. But who knows she may be good ... we'll have to see when the entry forms are posted.

Sorry about SY though, even though saves big bucks it would have been kinda interesting to see how she would do.
Yea, we agree with that ... it would have been fun, but I think all of us need a break. Although Matt is still riding her while she's at his place.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I am kinda glad for you that you are going to get to keep her. I feel like she’s all yours now! Lol. Breeding her would be a great idea! My grandpa has a rule that is, if you want to ever breed a mare breed her once before 6.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Thank you @Knave! Yes, I'm happy she'll be at home soon. Especially with a new shelter. Thanks for the vote of confidence for breeding her; I have not had ONE person vote against it. Must be the right thing to do. :) So I guess I'll have to call Ramona & my vet and get it all set up.

I think I caught something. Hoping it's just a cold, but will keep a close eye on it. Massive headache and my eyes look like I've been drinking all night. Oy. Tylenol is my friend. I have a few things to get done and then I'll go home. Thank goodness I have nothing planned this weekend.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I’m sorry you are sick. We were sick a while back, and I think it started that way. It lasted about 2 weeks, but really it wasn’t awful, whatever we had. It was just long.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #812 (Edited)
Thank you @Knave & @lb27312. I don't think it's anything serious; but it has my attention and just need to keep an eye on it Very happy I have NOTHING planned this weekend. Can doze in the recliner if I so choose. 😁

LOL, @lb27312, you are funny! I will try to make the January CRCHA show, if they have it.

Speaking of Pi, she was really full of **** and vinegar this morning, LOL, playing NFR bare back pony in her pen when I went to get her. Then while walking her to the turn out, the mare across the street was doing her arab impression - racing around the pen, tail held high, LOL. Riled Pi up some more that when I let her go, she had to do a few NFR bucks before heading to her breakfast. I should get on her this weekend; we both could use it.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #814 (Edited)
Welcome Back, @The Stomp! Hope you enjoy reading the thread.

Finally got back up to Matt's on Saturday. He was set for 4 lessons, plus me, but three people cancelled so it was just two of us. I went up with Pi with the intent to work donkeys, which we did. Pi was pretty funny, putting out little squeals every time we turned with the donkey, LOL. She was more than ready to get out and play. I also had the intent to ride Scarlett, but ended up not doing that.

A few days before I went up, Matt called me and gave me a Scarlett update, including that Matthew had been on her an spun her. He said, "I should have gotten a video of it; it was awesome!" :) Well, Matthew got on her again while I was there and I DID get video! He rode 1/2 the ride w/out stirrups then, when Matt asked him if he wanted to stop her, he got down to shorten the stirrups from Matt's settings. He isn't that confident at stopping her (nor would I be!), but I was so thrilled to see him ride her and how she reacted ...there's hope for me! Here's my compliation video:

A few stills from the video, you can see in the 2nd one he's not riding with stirrups:

And of course, I got to see Radar ... he's sporting a Beatles hair cut now, LOL ... and looking like a Cyclops

Finally, my neice sent the ponies her special Christmas Horse Cookies, so shared a few with Scarlett, Rita & Pi ...

Sunday, Pi and I went on a nice leisurely trail ride; it was a gorgeous day! Warm and clear crystal blue skies:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
Great pictures and video! I don't have the confidence to do much no stirrup riding. May come from being old....or maybe just not very good.
Thanks @bsms. Yes, to be young again and have no fear ... or little fear, LOL. I used to be able to ride w/out stirrups, but can't do it now. Well, can't do it for any quick/fast moves. So for the most part, I need my stirrups!

Matthew had a little fear when Matt said he could stop her as he was expecting her to go REALLY fast, as she does with Matt. Just gives me confidence when I ride her that she will go as fast as I'm comfortable with.

¯\(ツ)/¯ (Supposed to be a shrug. Miss the old emoji set!)
LOL, yea I too miss the old emojis. I don't particularly like these generic fat ones! I liked your "shrug" though. :)

801 - 820 of 850 Posts