The Horse Forum banner

821 - 840 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
Went up to Matt's on Saturday for a donkey lesson with Pi - no cows; so we work the donkeys. Works out well for us, since they are a little slower than cows and give me time to set Pi up correctly before our turn. It was a good lesson. We also practiced essentially riding w/out reins, except on the ends where I'd pick her up and bridle her a bit and if I needed to correct a drift. She got a good workout.

Matt then had 3 other lessons after which I finally got to ride Scarlett. BUT, it was FREEZING cold (at least 15 degrees colder than when I was on Pi) and having been out there all day I was stiff and sore. But, managed to get a little ride in and realize she was not going to kill me, LOL. Here's a little video:

Went back up on Sunday morning while they were away at Church to practice on Pi. Got a few good stops and a few which would have been fantastic, had she not come out of them.

While I was riding, Rowdy and Tilly had an intense interest in what we were doing (their corrals are off the arena):

(excuse Tilly's rude positioning, LOL).

And, of course, got to see little Radar ...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
Does anyone know what this is for?

Supposedly it has something to do with wind turbines, but is not that big. The bottom where the surveyor's stick it is about max. 10' across; more like 6-8' though. So not big enough for a turbine. I'm thinking maybe for a weather station? Have no clue; all guesses appreciated.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
So, Covid strikes horse shows again. The Cutting set for the weekend of the 16th was moved from the Paso Events Center (where the 1st CRCHA show is set) to a different facility since Paso is a state run facility and we are currently in somewhat of a lockdown. That did not bode well for CRCHA's show.

Got a notice on Monday/Tuesday that it was definitely being moved and we would know by today. Last night they posted on FB that it was being move to the International Ag Center in Tulare - WooHoo! A two hour drive one way as opposed to a 4 hour drive! Love that so much more! There are a few more restrictions, but they are doable and nothing that is different from other shows.

Now the questions is ... what do I want to show in? The club class or the NRCHA 5K; do I also want to do Open Boxing since Pi and I are so out of practice? Decisions, decisions ....

In other news, we got a quote from the barn place for walls for Scarlett's shelter. It's PRICEY, but it will look so nice and I will finally have a place for the horses that is more like an actual barn and not some thrown-together with spare parts shelter. Have to put a 1/3 down for them to start and then it'll be 4-5 weeks. And I need to get the RR ties that they will sit on.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
Had another lesson with Pi (working donkeys) and Scarlett on Saturday. Not quite totally relaxed on Scarlett, but definitely much better than last weekend. Plus it was MUCH warmer so I was not frozen on top of her. I can see our future now! LOL ...

I posted the video on FB and one of the ladies I know who is an ex-expert dressage rider (she used to be a judge) critiqued me. I appreciate her input especially given her background. She said I still had a great seat (yea!) but my shoulders/arms were tense. I responded, Yep, I can see that in the video, LOL; hoping it'll go away when I feel more relaxed with her. I think it will.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
@Knave, I have the first one, but in like a fat 1/2 breed mouth (the 2nd one down from the top, #6)

I have used it on Pi and it looks good on her.

The 2nd one I was originally going to get for Pi, but when we put it on her, it didn't look good at all. So I got this one for her with a frog mouth and it really looks good on her:

I like the other two on her too. Will have to do another fashion show. I usually do it a couple of times to see how I like them after some time thinking about them. There are some other ones, too:

Could also break tradition and get a NON-Jeremiah Watt bit. That would be hard to do, I like them so much, LOL ...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I like the first and second bits on her. I think the browband headstall on the Nevada cheek bit would look really classy on either of the Santa Barbara bits in the first two pics.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
Thanks @COWCHICK77, appreciate the input. I probably won't get another of the 1st one, but who knows ... have lots of time to decide. As for headstalls, I picked one up in Vegas when we were there for the Stallion Stakes:

Will have to take it up to Matt's to see which cheek looks good with it. Will likely swap out the hardware for Jeremiah Watt hardware though ...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I love the headstall! You will have to do a fashion show with it!

821 - 840 of 850 Posts