The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a eventer/jumper at the barn I hang out at, and I've cobbled together a couple of solid jumps for her. One has the stable name on it using the 8" wooden letters ($2 each) found at the craft department at Wal-Mart, and the other one I have pictures of here--I painted it and the rail different on each side to give a different look.

I can build some more but I need some ideas. What jumps have you built at your place? I'm looking for brush boxes, bridge looks, funky looking wings, etc. I'd make a roll top if I can figure out how to make the curve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'd make a roll top if I can figure out how to make the curve.
Doesnt look hard at all. Cut a barrel in half and nail some boards around it, or make a few half circles of wood from a patern and secure the boards to them, vertically. You'll probably need some help though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i love that rainbow jump!
Thanks. It wasn't that hard to do. Once I found out the desired height for it (as well as the other jump--they equalled four feet in height) I bought one 4'x8' piece of plywood at Home Depot and had the lumber person there cut it into pieces. A few 2x4's to make the frames, some $3 sample sizes for the colored paint (at Home Depot as well), a roll of blue painter's tape, a couple of wood fence poles for rails, and some folding handles for this one because they stand next to each other, and the total cost for both of them (not including the wood letter cost for the other one) was less than $50. I imagine that is a lot cheaper than what the professionally made ones cost.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Ive got a talented fiancee thank god =]
i have the matching latice filler idk why i didnt put it up for this.

this set isnt done, i plan on putting the picket fencing on them and flowers in between =D

these are white now too

i'll be making more when winters over =]

·
Registered
196 Posts
ooh! i want to get this thread started again! post pics of your cool jumps everyone!

·
Registered
176 Posts
subscribing. Im on my work computer so dont know if I have pics I can get from photobucket or not, but I know I def. have some at home on my computer I can add later. I tend to have to make random jumps out of just about anything lol. A few ive done are hay bales, you can do so much with just two or four gays bales as far as height. Ive taken old scrap wood and nailed colorful towels to it and also nail something to the bottom to weigh it down so it doesnt flap around :) I nail together all sorts of random pieces of scrap wood. I also use tarps, trash cans or barrels, paint weird colors, or anything I can find around the barn. Ill use a ladder and lay it over, lattice (sp?) fencing nailed to wooden boards, benches, logs, tireds, you name it I use it :) My horses are well versed in different sorts of jumps haha. Now most of these jumps arent something id want put up in a beautiful ring at a fancy barn, but I tend to jump out in the field or the barn im at now is very private and low key with the ring not really visible from the road so it doesnt look like a crap pile hahahah

·
Registered
176 Posts
I take painters tape and put it in odd designs on the poles and then just spray paint them (we have PVC pipes not wooden poles). I dont have pics of the jumps themselves, but of people jumping them so its going to be a lot of horse jumping photos :)

A hay bale with my towel jump just laid over it, got my mares attention :)

little garden fences from wal-mart tied on with bailing twine.

(dont mind my chicken wings :) lol)

this was later painted and had a towel hanging from the back side

ok off to look for more lol. I also paint things like "look up" on the poles hehe, little reminders as your going up to it

·
Registered
176 Posts
my look up jump :) (and the precious little 12.2h pony I trained to jump, wish I could have bought him <tear> )

two skinnies I just happen to put together to make longer. Again its just scrap wood and flower pots for these!'

ok thats all I can find on photobucket ill have to look at home for some of my more creative ones lol.....and yes they do get more creative!

·
Registered
47 Posts
We make all of our own jumps. We fiished our grass arena last year so we made like 20 new jumps for it.

Our 'rainbow jump' is definately my favorite. The gate is about 3'3 so we have white flower boxes to go under so that people jumping smaller can still use it.

The carousel horses are made out of paper mache and they just have plexiglass ontop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts