The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from yesterday. Myself & my 14.2hh Quarter horse mare. First time jumping 2'6. Constructive critique please.

If need be, I can slow the clip down. I have a screenshot but it is incredibly blurry and very nearly useless.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Slowed down would be great. :) From what I can see, it looks like you're throwing your body forward too much and your release is a little small for that 2nd jump. My advice would be to let the horse do the jumping for you—let its motion move you into position instead of trying to lean forward yourself. Other than that I think you guys look good, but I could say more in slow motion! Hope this helps though!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the critique! I definitely need some work with my release. I used to do okay with it but it's been missing lately and I need to find it again. I'll work on that. I know I have a bit of an issue moving with the horse, so I'll keep that in mind as well.
Here is the clip slowed down- I hope that helps.
2'6 slo mo - YouTube

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It almost looks like you need to move in your last jump a foot, as your horse wants to put in another stride, but there isn't room.

Pick up your hands. They shouldn't be on the horse, but an inch or two above the withers.

It is really hard to tell if you are releasing with your hands, since everything blends in to the horses neck, but it looks like you aren't moving them at all. Since this isn't a large jump, it hasn't been a problem, however, a small crest release would be ideal.

Your leg has come back a fair bit over the first jump, and your upper body is more over the pommel, then the center of the saddle. You were back in the saddle too soon.

Over the second jump, your leg stayed in a better position (didn't slide as far back), and your body was more centered in the saddle. You came back into the saddle too soo again.

Since it is only supposed to be a two stride line, try to stay up and out of the saddle in your two point, to allow your horse to move up and forward. You might find she makes the distance a bit better.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the critique!

I don't think my hands were that low- I was wearing black gloves and her mane is black so maybe that made it look worse? I'll keep it in mind though.
I agree the first jump wasn't the best, I've been working on moving with her as opposed to just 'two pointing' over the jump. (if that makes sense)

Here are two more videos-
The first is 2' cross to a 2' oxer (both are supposed to be one strides, and both we got close)
The second is a 2' cross to a 2'3 oxer. We kept moving the standards, trying to find the length for a one stride for both heights but for whatever reason, we couldn't find one that seemed to work. Suggestions?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, she can be a bit strong over jumps but it's loads better than it's been. I love gymnastics because they keep her focused on her jump rather than being an airhead. :wink:
I'll admit that my position over 2'6 was pretty bad, but since it was the first time I've ever jumped that high, well, I guess I wanted to share. :lol:
For the rest of winter, we'll probably stick to around 2'.
Thank you!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am going to echo Velvet. You need to support your horse more. Your hands are down on your horse's withers coming into the line. It encourages her to lean on your hand and her forehand, speeding through the line.

Sit up, shoulders back and raise your hand to support your horse, collect her and rock her back on her butt. Then your can push her out in front of you to get the right striding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.