The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am having a little difficulty getting my horse to "jump" (a little bunny hop) over a "jump" (a very small raised cavalletti). Sometimes she steps over it, but she usually just bulldozes over it (like, not even trying to lift her legs). I don't think it is a physical thing (like arthritis); I think it is because she knows she can because it will fall over and give. She goes over fallen trees and whatnots on the trail, but not cavallettis in the arena.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
It might be that she hasn't enough impulsion, movimg forward, to lift her front end up and over...
It also could be on a trail the objects are easily seen as "solid" looking versus a small rail...
It could be she doesn't see the rail well if it blends into the ring surface...
It could be she is not given a strong release to tell her when to lift and jump...
It could be the distance is wrong for her to accomplish a clean jump over...

Can you tell us what you have done so far in the ring to teach her to jump?
Cavaletti...
Cross-rail, grids, raised and with take-off rail...
How and what do you do with your body and hands as you ride a straight line approach and execute a starters jump...

It can be so many things...
Horses can and do naturally jump things...
It is often us humans that make them not go over, have difficulty finishing a started project...
So, can you share a bit more of what and where you are at so some of the better riders and trainers could help you...
A video shared of you both with someone holding the camera and following your movements would also tell a lot of what is happening and offers of more exact help would follow.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I recently free jumped my guy for the first time. He would pick up his feet over the small jumps, but usually hit it every time. As soon as I made the jump higher (close to 24 in), he started to jump it. Turns out he had no respect for the lower ones since they were too easy and boring. He prefers higher ones. Could be the same thing with your mare. Try sending her over something a little bit bigger and see if she improves at all. So maybe try free jumping her and see when it is that she starts to actually jump them properly verses just plowing through.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be that she hasn't enough impulsion, movimg forward, to lift her front end up and over...
It also could be on a trail the objects are easily seen as "solid" looking versus a small rail...
It could be she doesn't see the rail well if it blends into the ring surface...
It could be she is not given a strong release to tell her when to lift and jump...
It could be the distance is wrong for her to accomplish a clean jump over...

Can you tell us what you have done so far in the ring to teach her to jump?
Cavaletti...
Cross-rail, grids, raised and with take-off rail...
How and what do you do with your body and hands as you ride a straight line approach and execute a starters jump...
I am actually not trying to teach her to jump under-saddle. This is a just ground exercise for variation. I have been trying to incorporate more poles and cavalettis.

It is a white rail on a green/brown surface area, so I am sure she sees them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.