The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
maybe it just me but lengthen your stirrups a bit. They look a bit to short even for jumping. Your jumping slightly a head of your horse aswell.

Your also jabbing your spur right into the horses side. So idk maybe your gripping almost with the back of your calf or heel?.. or trying? I cant really explain what im seeing lol! Someone else can clear this up maybe :p

I love that horses markings and coloring very cute! With minor adjustments you guys are gonna look amazing!

·
Registered
359 Posts
yeah i got no idea, i look like a frog when i jump :D

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
maybe it just me but lengthen your stirrups a bit. They look a bit to short even for jumping. Your jumping slightly a head of your horse aswell.

Your also jabbing your spur right into the horses side. So idk maybe your gripping almost with the back of your calf or heel?.. or trying? I cant really explain what im seeing lol! Someone else can clear this up maybe :p

I love that horses markings and coloring very cute! With minor adjustments you guys are gonna look amazing!
My go.

I "think" what HAF means is that you need to get your toe to face forwards, instead of sticking out. When you get your toe pointing forwards, your spur will only be on your horse/lesson horse when you want i to be.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would also suggest that you drop your stirrup one hole until you can control your legs on takeoff. With just one picture it is hard to determine if it's just one instance or a common problem but I would say you are very close to jumping ahead of your horse and then getting left behind on the landing. Try using bounce poles a half a stride before the fence so the horse "bounces" to help them collect and it helps you feel the striding better than just bearing down on a fence and hoping for the best. Also, if your horse is a good boy I would suggest jumping in a chute or a small grid and letting him do the work and you just feel the jumps.

With my students I make them jump my gelding in a chute with their eyes closed in what I call a half-seat. It's somewhere between 2-point and sitting so when the jump comes the horse just rocks them right into 2-point and right back down into the saddle when he lands. This can only be done on a horse that knows it's job and is true to fences though. The premise to the exercise is that you need to let the horse put you in position and not to "jump" before they do.

Good luck! And if you post more pictures from different angles and/or a video then it would be easier to spot things that happen a lot. Keep up the good work and your horse is adorable!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
maybe release a bit more :) and everybody else has covered the rest, but i think that is one of the prettiest colored hroses ever!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
maybe it's just a lookalike of the one I'm thinking of, but I think I've seen that horse before... do you live in KS?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think your position would improve with longer stirrups and a larger saddle, that one looks far too small for you. Maybe ride without spurs until you can control your lower leg while jumping, in this picture you are jabbing your spur into the side.

Your upper body looks fine for the height of the fence, maybe arch your back a little but more but otherwise you look okay! I definitely think a larger saddle and longer stirrups will help you out!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Everyone else seems to have covered it but do lengthen your stirrups a bit. It looks as if you are scrunched together a bit when you are jumping, try to stretch your hands up your horses neck a bit more to give the horse some more release. To get your toes pointing forward maybe close your knee A BIT so you aren't gripping to much with the back of your calfs/lower leg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone:) Im definetely going to work on everything mentioned! Oh, just to mention it - I had my stirrups up because I was looking for a new saddle at the time and didn't want my boots to get hooked on the flaps...I have really long legs! lol

eventerdrew: I live in Ca, but Ive only had her for 7 years (she's 16) - so maybe????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.