The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures from cross country schooling the other day. Didn't get any cross country pictures but here's some stadium jumps before we went out cross country. This is Derby, my 5 year old OTTB. I've had him since he was 3, and I've done pretty much all his training. Didnt start taking lessons seriously on him (couldnt find a trainer that worked well with us) until this past may. Please don't comment on him being to young to jump, just critique me and/or him. Thanks!

^^ He didn't like this jump, Kinda stopped and popped over it.

And one for cuteness!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think he's adorable! I know that's not a critique lol, but I love him :)

I wouldn't think 5 is too young to jump, especially since none of those jumps are really that big! But I am just learning to jump so I can't critique your riding, but I do see that maybe you should give a bigger release,but I may be wrong for the size of the jumps! So wait for someone with more jumping knowledge lol!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he's adorable! I know that's not a critique lol, but I love him :)

I wouldn't think 5 is too young to jump, especially since none of those jumps are really that big! But I am just learning to jump so I can't critique your riding, but I do see that maybe you should give a bigger release,but I may be wrong for the size of the jumps! So wait for someone with more jumping knowledge lol!
Thanks! I could definately use more release in the last jumping picture, I kinda got left behind in that one. As for the others, we'll see what others say!

·
Registered
641 Posts
In the first picture i think you are leaning to far forward. How high is that jump? But your realease is great. Your legs are in the right position from these angles. Also your horse is such a cutie! :). That last picture is adorable!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the first picture i think you are leaning to far forward. How high is that jump? But your realease is great. Your legs are in the right position from these angles. Also your horse is such a cutie! :). That last picture is adorable!
Thank you! I noticed that in the first one too. I tend to exaggerate my position a little instead of waiting for him to jump and close my hip angle.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Your horse is gorgeous, such a stunnerrrrr. :] I have a thing for chestnuts with white markings hehe.

I agree with previous posters, your release is quite good over the fences (except the last one because you got left behind) and your jumping position is pretty solid for only just starting consistent lessons. I like how your upper body is following his motion, but not getting in the way. This allows your horse to jump for you and it's clear in the pictures he really does love to jump. :] The one thing I do see is that it looks like you are pinching with your knees a tad too much. Your lower leg is a bit far back causing your upper body to shift a bit far forward. Just remember to stretch down into your heels and grip with your calf over the fences, not your knee.

I also agree with Underfire05, jumping him at 5 is completely fine to me. My guy is 5 and we're doing a solid 3'0 - 3'3. As long as your horse enjoys jumping and you're not jumping him everyday, he should be just fine. :]
Overall, you two look like a super cute pair that have tons of potential to do some bigger stuff. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your horse is gorgeous, such a stunnerrrrr. :] I have a thing for chestnuts with white markings hehe.

I agree with previous posters, your release is quite good over the fences (except the last one because you got left behind) and your jumping position is pretty solid for only just starting consistent lessons. I like how your upper body is following his motion, but not getting in the way. This allows your horse to jump for you and it's clear in the pictures he really does love to jump. :] The one thing I do see is that it looks like you are pinching with your knees a tad too much. Your lower leg is a bit far back causing your upper body to shift a bit far forward. Just remember to stretch down into your heels and grip with your calf over the fences, not your knee.

I also agree with Underfire05, jumping him at 5 is completely fine to me. My guy is 5 and we're doing a solid 3'0 - 3'3. As long as your horse enjoys jumping and you're not jumping him everyday, he should be just fine. :]
Overall, you two look like a super cute pair that have tons of potential to do some bigger stuff. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! I do have a problem with gripping with my knee and tipping. It's always been a bad habit. I've had plenty of lessons before though, just not on him. I've evented to training level and have been riding since I was 8. But all the trainers I tried with him wanted to take him WAY to fast, so I just chose to train him by myself until I got him going pretty steady and he was ready for the more challenging things the trainers wanted to do with him. Thanks for the critique!

·
Banned
593 Posts
i dont have much to say for critique. but i LOVE your breastplate , can you mesg me where you got it? Id say 5 isnt TOO young to jump but its still too young to jump A LOT. if that makes sense =] you two make a really nice pair. hes gorgeous.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont have much to say for critique. but i LOVE your breastplate , can you mesg me where you got it? Id say 5 isnt TOO young to jump but its still too young to jump A LOT. if that makes sense =] you two make a really nice pair. hes gorgeous.

Thanks! I got it for Christmas. This is the one I have:
Jeffries Competition Breastplate - Dover Saddlery.

And here's basically the same thing, just a little cheaper.
Ovation 4-Star Eventing Breastplate - Dover Saddlery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think five is the perfect age to learn how to jump!

Anyway, your leg is sliding back in all the photos, which is a common mistake when first jumping. Allow your horse's jump to push your body out of the saddle - it will, I promise! - instead of pitching forward from your knee and up his neck. Focus on keeping your hips over the center of the saddle instead of the pommel, where you are now. And kick your legs forward when over a jump.

You'll get the hang of it! Such a cute horse, too!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think five is the perfect age to learn how to jump!

Anyway, your leg is sliding back in all the photos, which is a common mistake when first jumping. Allow your horse's jump to push your body out of the saddle - it will, I promise! - instead of pitching forward from your knee and up his neck. Focus on keeping your hips over the center of the saddle instead of the pommel, where you are now. And kick your legs forward when over a jump.

You'll get the hang of it! Such a cute horse, too!
Thanks. I used to have a great position but lost it. I've been riding for years and evented through training level but my event horse had to be retired and for about 2 years I had nothing to jump. So i really lost my position.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Thanks. I used to have a great position but lost it. I've been riding for years and evented through training level but my event horse had to be retired and for about 2 years I had nothing to jump. So i really lost my position.
Ha! Try getting your jumping legs back when you're in your 40's! Age 5 is perfect for starting jumping. He looks like a curious horse. The way he looks at the jumps, but still goes over them suggests that he's a brave boy. Like others said, little more release and lower leg slipping back a tad. I find trotting in two point really gets my legs snug. Love your horse.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! Try getting your jumping legs back when you're in your 40's! Age 5 is perfect for starting jumping. He looks like a curious horse. The way he looks at the jumps, but still goes over them suggests that he's a brave boy. Like others said, little more release and lower leg slipping back a tad. I find trotting in two point really gets my legs snug. Love your horse.
Thanks! He is a great horse, he tries very hard.
I'll start working on strenghening my legs again and working in two point more. Its just such a pain! Thanks for the critiques everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.