The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during the holidays I took a month off riding and here is my second lesson back. I know there is still a lot to improve, so any comments or tips will be appreciated.

The grey horse I am riding is called Gus (second time riding him), and while he is pretty easy to ride, it was hard to keep him at a canter around the arena (not shown in video). You might see me struggling a couple of times in the video though as I try to get him to canter before the jump.

Also I was doing large efforts to get his speed and momentum up before the jump, to the point where it looked like I was exaggerating the posting trot. Any tips on doing it more gracefully? :p I was squeezing my legs, but perhaps not enough.

Jumping Gus - YouTube

Thank you!

PS: for those that followed/read my other thread where I asked for cantering tips, we did a lot of 2 point beforehand so sitting the canter was much easier this time around and I didn't have problems with my heels.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The first thing I notice is that I'd like to see you coming down from your two-point earlier, you're holding it after the jump (possibly in an effort to keep him cantering?) and as a result you're losing some organization. Your approach is pretty nice, but as you're cantering/trotting away from the jump Gus is bending to the outside and clearly not paying attention to your inside leg. Ride straight after the jump and when you want to turn to the inside, turn using your leg moreso than your hand.

The actual jumping part is hard to see, but to me it looks like you're looking down at the jump on the approach which is causing you to tip forward with your body and get an awkward distance. Sitting back and not tipping forward before you feel your horses feet come up off the ground would be helpful.

Your last jump was by far my favourite, but I'd still like to see some more straightness and no outside bend!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
^ agreed^ the longer you take to sit up and organize after a jump the more likely you are to fall, I learned that the hard way I fell a couple times and once ended up on the horses neck (which she did not appreciate) SIT UP!

Reactions: Hidalgo13

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have the same habit as you do with jumping ahead of my horse and what I find helps is to say it out loud as I'm approaching the jump 'eyes up, sit up' because unless I'm actually thinking about it I look down at the jump and tip forward with my body. Even if you have to bring your shoulders back and be a little more dramatic about sitting in the saddle, it should help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.