The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the first course I jumped with my pony after he was out for a month. You may critique both of us and be as brutal as you want. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
You guys are cute together :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
You look good. Only thing that really sticks out to me is your back is hollowed out. Imagine your spine in a straight line, more natural, more fluid over the jumps.

But otherwise - looks good!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You look fantastic! I love your quiet legs, quiet hands, soft quiet two point, and your eyes looking up. The only thing, if I'm getting picky, is as the video progresses and he gets tired you start to 'pump' your upper body. If he gets lazy, try not to use your body to push him forward, just tighten your legs. I certainly wouldn't want to face you in the show ring, such a lovely pair :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
First of all, I totally agree with all of the above comments. He looks like a willing, adorable jumper, and aside from being a little tired at points (and who doesn't get a little tired- it's difficult being a pony! :D), he seemed to do exactly what you asked. I wouldn't want to face you in the ring either, though I must admit, your pony is the type I love to watch jump. They are just too cute! Your equitation is excellent as well, and I loved watching you two-point- I was drooling with envy! I noticed he was getting a little lazy over a few of the jumps- not completely picking up his legs and such, but other than that? Beautiful! Especially for being out for a month!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm, well, you look nice, except for your rump never see's the saddle, your always perched up.

Now I can see that you probably have a nice bond, trust, and he has good training and all, but if that horse were to stop, you could very quickly be severely injured.

Your back is VERY perched, make it straight up and down, not your rump a mile past your lower back. Just as JumpingTheMoon said =]

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hmm, well, you look nice, except for your rump never see's the saddle, your always perched up.

Now I can see that you probably have a nice bond, trust, and he has good training and all, but if that horse were to stop, you could very quickly be severely injured.

Your back is VERY perched, make it straight up and down, not your rump a mile past your lower back. Just as JumpingTheMoon said =]

It depends on the type of riding. For hunter, she looks great! Judging by her quiet, steady leg, she would be just fine if the pony stopped

·
Registered
8,220 Posts

Yep, I completely agree.

The reason why she is so "quiet" during her ride, is because she doesn't even move. She just stays put. Quiet hands, because they are stuck at her horse neck. Quiet 2 point, because she's in the same position throughout the whole video.

I could be quiet like that too if I just sat there.

Now, I am not Hunter, nor plan on ever being one - but if I had my way, I would have you sitting between your fences and using your seat functionally. Rounding your adorable pony and aiding your pony up into your seat.

You and your pony are supposed to be a team, this is a team effort and takes the both of you to get the job done. IMO by you, the rider - remaining perched throughout your rides, makes your rides unfuncitonal.

But if that is what wins in the Hunter Ring, all the power to you.

Your Pony is just adorable as all be and he sure does do his best to do his job. Cutie patootie!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You guys look great!!!! I do dressage and hunter/jumpers (mostly hunters in the past few years) and my only little thing would be (and this could just be the quality of the video) is your center of gravity seems to be a bit to far forward. 1:22 your leg is at the girth and ahead of your hip however through out the video your leg and hip are aligned.. just further forward. My advice would be to bring your lower leg back about an inch or two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, I completely agree.

The reason why she is so "quiet" during her ride, is because she doesn't even move. She just stays put. Quiet hands, because they are stuck at her horse neck. Quiet 2 point, because she's in the same position throughout the whole video.

I could be quiet like that too if I just sat there.

Now, I am not Hunter, nor plan on ever being one - but if I had my way, I would have you sitting between your fences and using your seat functionally. Rounding your adorable pony and aiding your pony up into your seat.

You and your pony are supposed to be a team, this is a team effort and takes the both of you to get the job done. IMO by you, the rider - remaining perched throughout your rides, makes your rides unfuncitonal.

But if that is what wins in the Hunter Ring, all the power to you.

Your Pony is just adorable as all be and he sure does do his best to do his job. Cutie patootie!

Yep, she just never changes position. Thats not hunter, thats just not moving. She is supposed to atleast get in a different position for the jump.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with MIEventer and HunterJumper - there is no defining line between your 2 and 3 point seats. It would seem as though you are sitting in 3 point, but then you are poking your butt out and leaning forward, so you're obviously not.
When your pony jumps the jump, you're not giving him anywhere to go, because you can't change your position over the jump.
My advice is to really sit down in between the jumps and use your legs. One of my pony club instructors once told me that jumping should be just like a dressage test with obstacles - this is a great idea to get you to really ride your horse through the jumps (and in between them). She would yell at me in the middle of a combination "WHERE'S THAT DRESSAGE HORSE?!" So that I would sit up and prepare for the next fence.
At the height you're jumping, I don't think this is a desperate issue, but when you are jumping bigger you are going to have to sit up - otherwise you are never going to make it over the jump :p So it will be good to fix it before it becomes an issue :)
Very honest and willing pony, he looks good for being out for a month. I also love how you are always looking up where you are going.
Have fun :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
You two look amazing, yes he does get a bit lazy or tired at points but nothing a little nudge or tap won't fix. The only small problem I noticed is that you are leaning forward throughout the whole course. Maybe sit back a litte further, not the whole time. Because if he all of a sudden stopped you'd be flying out of the saddle. My pony is a bit lazy/uncertain when he jumps so I have to sit back to a full seat (almost) and drive him forward, obviously going into a more forward seat and then two point when we jump. This also helps me to get his striding correct and to stay with him during the take off. Every horse/pony is different though. I love your two point and how soft, yet well, you ride. Your pony is adorable to watch as well. :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i think you guys look great for that being your first course in awhile !!
i have no problem with you staying out of the tack. there is a time & a place to sit on your bum, but on flat ground over smaller fences, you can ride your horse off your leg & not just your seat. i was auditing a clinic last week & the trainer had everyone practice up in their 2pt, having the horse shorten & lengthen through lines & poles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you oh so very much everyone- for the compliments and for the fantastic advice. The main things I've learned are to center my half seat a tad bit more, not leaning so far forward, and to straighten out my back, not leaving it so hollow.

Since Al and I were coming back from a month's "break" my trainer and I were trying to lay off of him a little bit. Gypsygirl seemed to say it well, that I was riding Al off of my leg and not so much my seat. I do not always ride in a half seat, but some times I do. When I ride, I focus on being extremely soft and I try to make smooth transitions if I have to change something with my position.

Since we were only jumping over crossrails it didn't seem like I was changing my position over the jump, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the horse supposed to close your hip angle over the jump? The angle is not large over a crossrail, at least not the ones I was jumping, but you will see a much larger fold in one jumping a four foot vertical.

Overfolding is one of my pet peeves because it is not a "natural" thing to do. Now I may just be rambling, but if anyone has anything else to say on my jumping or anything I just said feel free to do so, I'm curious. :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I really like your position, you have yourself a good instructor and you're a very talented rider. You had a great eye, you rode the fences forward and your lower leg was pretty solid.
Good work, and that pony is adorable I might add!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You look good! I just think your back needs to be more straight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.