The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love if I could get some tips on improving my position. This is Richie, he's a 16h Anglo Arab. I am just coming back from a 4 month break (couldn't ride due to injuries from being bucked off) and this is only about my 4th time riding again, and first time jumping. I've had no jumping lessons, but that is hopefully soon to change. The jumps are 55cm high, and I don't plan on going higher until I have a really solid position. :)

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Yes, I'd have to agree.

Your lower leg is good, base of support and back are perfect.

Two tweaks to help you look even better:

Angle your stirrup iron across your foot slightly, so the outside branch is touching your little toe and the inside branch is right on the ball of your foot. In the first pic your toes are out slightly with the effect of rotating your leg off your horse. Keep your toe at a 45 degree angle or less.

I can't be sure from the pics, but you may even have your irons on your saddle wrong or your foot through the wrong side. The twist is the stirrup leather should lie flat against your leg.

You are not interfering with your horse in any way with your reins long and releasing a few inchs in front of the wither. However, you'll look more polished if carry your hands down below the level of his neck rather than floating them above the mane. You'll also need a different release for when you progress to larger fences. I'd recommend you shorten your reins two to four inches and press your knuckles into the meaty part of his neck 2 - 4 inches forward of where they are now. I love the way your horse feels free to use his head, neck and back in the air and I wouldn't want to do anythign to interfere with that! There is no need for you to go back and do an elementary release with hands 1/2 up the neck since you're othewise so solid.

Your horse is just stepping over this litte fence without making a big effort, but he looks pleasant, calm and interested in his job and you look happy and confident together.

Again, really amazing form for a self taught rider! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops a bit of a misunderstanding, I used to have flatwork lessons about 3 years ago, just no jumping. Thanks so much for the advice, I'll have to check that with my stirrups. And I agree, he jumps this effortlessly, sometimes he gets a bit lazy becuase it is so easy for him.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
oops a bit of a misunderstanding, I used to have flatwork lessons about 3 years ago, just no jumping. Thanks so much for the advice, I'll have to check that with my stirrups. And I agree, he jumps this effortlessly, sometimes he gets a bit lazy becuase it is so easy for him.

That's what i got. I think you look really good for not having any jumping lessons! :D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I must say, you have a gift...you're seat is really good! :grin:

You're lower leg is in the right place (at the girth), back is straight, head up and shoulders are open. You have the right idea of the light seat, folding at the hips instead of throwing yourself over the saddle and in front of the pommel. Excellent! Keep it up!

You must seriously consider jumping more often, girl. You are really good. Especially without lessons. :smile:

Oh, one more thing. Try and relax your arms, because they look a little tense. Free that elbow and extend your arms a little more.

Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the compliments. I'm really eager to go jump again now! But I'm waiting a few days because he is pretty unfit.

You are not interfering with your horse in any way with your reins long and releasing a few inchs in front of the wither. However, you'll look more polished if carry your hands down below the level of his neck rather than floating them above the mane. You'll also need a different release for when you progress to larger fences. I'd recommend you shorten your reins two to four inches and press your knuckles into the meaty part of his neck 2 - 4 inches forward of where they are now. I love the way your horse feels free to use his head, neck and back in the air and I wouldn't want to do anythign to interfere with that! There is no need for you to go back and do an elementary release with hands 1/2 up the neck since you're othewise so solid.

Thanks for this tip. I always have my reins fairly long for jumping because I don't want to catch the horse in the mouth at all. So if I want to jump bigger is that all I should change?

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Yes. It might help to have someone on the ground watching as you try to change your release. The best way to increase height is to build a little gymnastic, trot poles to a cross rail with one stride to a vertical or oxer; and raise the rail of the second fence after you've gone through it a few times successfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.