The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charli was jumping the uprights funny :| and im clearly rather keen for my horses neck (neck humper much!)

critique away!!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
You:

You are actually releasing too much for my liking. I think that is why you are up your horse's neck. You can give a good release without throwing yourself at his head.

Your leg is quite good, I really like how your heel is down and it's nice and at the horse's girth.

Charli:

The first photo is ok, but the rest of them, frankly scare me. His knees, while even, are quite low. If you took him out on XC like that I am afraid that he would hurt himself over bigger fences. If he could just learn to pick his knees up, he looks like he could be a good jumper but gymnastics are needed for him to be a truly safe jumper.

JMHO

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes normally good with his knees, they freaked me out too! I think next time I jump he is getting a nice long grid to jump down made of tall Xbars and uprights lol

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
he looks like hes really struggling to get over those jumps

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hes not hahah, in the middle one he got in close, hence the touching of hoof to pole :)

hes just not using his shoulder, if anything hes not using him self cause he doesnt have to, the jumps would have been higher if the ground wasn't so slippery

·
Registered
872 Posts
YAY, your heels are down (I seem to recall your heels used to be very high)!
I say start working on an auto release, and just try not to drop your hands so low.
I think lower those jumps down to about 3' (im guessing that will seem low to you guys... ;]) and do a LOT of grid work to help mister Charlie out. I do udnerstand that he isnt normally that sloppy, but he still is sometimes and could really benifit from grid work.
Work on building core muscles and picking up your upper body. If you are able to pick up your upper body, it will probably help with his sloppy kness and you feeling like you have to throw your hands forward!

That is just my two cents. You are jumping WAYYY higher then I ever have, so take what I say lightly. ;]
I think that you two are a lovely team, keep up the great work! =]

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Eh. Your hands are too low. I would suggest staying closer to the mane on that one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks!
I used to grip really bad with my knees and go to far out of the saddle
Im trying to open my knee and drop my heel.

haa my hands are so naughty, they try run away :p Im going to do some flying angels to help my hands and back and being so low. and set up a grid of xbars for those scary knees lol

·
Registered
872 Posts
Im not sure what flying angels are, but I think some no hand work will help, even over those grids. If Charlie will allow it, then do it over the grid after you get used to it over just singles. You can do no hands at any height jump. =]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is flying angels when you let go of the reins and put your arms out when you jump? that helped me to release MORE so im not sure how much help that will be to you... but if it works, go right ahead!

·
Registered
223 Posts
your hunched over, hands need to be up close to the top of the horses neck, not the bottom (ew) you really shouldn't be wearing shorts riding (ouch)

your horse looks really awkward going over the last two jumps, how high are you jumping? It looks as if hes taking off too late, he looks too close to the jump and his knees arent tucked up far enough.

overall not too too bad

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love your horse.

I think you are a tad too low. I'd be afraid of you diving off the horse and right in front of him if something happened.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the thing is Im quite balanced, I can clap my hands above or below his neck while jumping, I release like that by pure habit, which is odd....where in the world would someone get a habit like that :p

brighteyes08-
I always ride in shorts, stuff riding in long pants I over heat enough wearing boots.
and sorry my release is ew, im normally quite good but even my low release is allowing my horse full use of his neck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.