The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this video I'm riding Little. He's the horse im training for a friend. Hes suppose to be strictly western, but I felt like he was getting bored so I brought out a few jumps.

So that means critique me, not the horse! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
the video is a little dim so it's hard to see the finer details.

overall, you look pretty secure. small jumps so you don't need a huge release or amazing form, you just need to make sure you're giving with your hands and you leg is secure and under you, which from what I could tell you were doing a pretty good job doing.
since the horse doesn't have much experience with jumping just remember to keep supporting him and ride him up into your hands a bit. the last line in the video you needed to support with your leg and hold him with your hands.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angel - Okay next time Ill keep the light in check. Cause I didnt see that it would be a problem but Ill remember that! :)

Thank you for the critique also by the way! Ill work on giving more support, I tend to let that go and thats when he starts messing up his strides but hes so honest and tries. :) Hes great to practice on since hes so willing!

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Is there a ground pole on the other side of the first jump? If not - You shouldn't jump it the other way. If there is a ground pole it should always be on the front of the jump.

He looks like a lovely, honest little horse.

In between the two jumps you are ver insecure in your saddle - You need to sink back into the saddle, sit up straight, pick up contact, and support and actually ride him between the jumps. especially if he is a green jumper - He needs your help to bring himself together and judge that distance. He got the wrong stride on the last one because you just let him run through - He needs to sit up, come back, and you need to ride himj to the base of the jump.

Can't really see much else due to the quality of the video.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, there was no ground pole on the other side. I figured I should have put one there but didn't think to much of it.

I was very proud of how Little handled the jumps. Hes so willing.

I see where I went wrong as far as the last line goes. Ill keep working on it!

Thanks for replying! :)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
He's a very honest boy, isn't he!

He looks good for just learning. I think you are doing a great job with him!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! :)

He just keeps on trucking even if he stumbles a bit. His owner has a great horse on her hands. But Im glad I get to be the one to work with him for now!

After seeing this video his owner wants me to make him a more well rounded horse which means I can keep working with him on jumping and more english type stuff as well so Im excited. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
you could give bigger releases over your jumps.
P.S. I love the walls of ur arena!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha our arena walls are so creative! A lot of the camp kids get to do it so every summer theres something different! I was thinking about making chance a board in the arena.

ty btw :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.