Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)
So after months of lurking this particular forum I finally worked up the guts to post pictures of myself jumping. Here goes nothing!

Nooooo idea what happened with my reins in this one ....must have dropped them just before the jump...

Issues I see:
- ELBOWS
- my foot has slid too far into the stirrups in a few of the pictures.
- I think I'm in a place where I should try to move up to the automatic release and stop relying on my horse's neck.

Please don't comment on my reins - I realize they are flappy but it's a long story and nothing to do with my personal equitation :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
the pony looks like a sad panda in the first two and last pics ><

I think you should try being lunged over jumps without reins. It may help tremendously. Your stirrups seem a little too long and you tend to poke your toe out. keep your shoulders back, and if you shorten your stirrups it'll help you get out of the saddle and off of the horses neck. I'm telling you this before you start jumping like a 'jumper' (the riders who compete in jumpers shows) instead of an eq. rider. if you get in the habit of lying on the horse's neck, it interferes with his jumping.

I do lessons without stirrups to strengthen my legs so I dont rely on the stirrups. I also do bareback and bridless jumping so I -again- am not relying entirely on the reins and stirrups.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all great points :) anyone else?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lovethesaddlebreds got the main points.

You said that you think you should start automatic releases, but I disagree. I event and school training level and I still don't do autos. Its reallly important to make sure than your base is strong enough to carry out such a complex task. And you're position doesn't quite scream READY! for that quite yet. When you do begin learning autos, make sure you have an experienced jumping instructor teaching you because it can really spoil your horse if done wrong. In the meantime, work on strengthing your leg. I can see from the pictures that one reason your leg is so loose is because you are dropping contact through your leg at the base of the fences. See the air between your heel and your horse? You are dropping pressure at the fence. This is bad because it causes horses to loose impulsion and confidence and refuse or chip in. I have that habit from time to time and it only takes my horse taking a dirty stop once to remember about my leg. A crest release is a valuable tool and shouldn't be disgarded to quickly.

Good work on everything else! You are really coming along.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i think you have a great lower leg, it's strong and locks you into position, you dont look like your going to fall off any time soon! and thats also really handy if your horse suddenly refuses, you wont go flying over his neck. lol
elbows in!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your shoulders and back seem a little stiff: try stretching before you ride, and maybe a few stretches in the saddle to warm the muscles. when you go over the jump, move with the horse's motion throughout your whole body instead of putting yourself in the correct position every step of the way. if you just focus on your rhythm and relaxation, you'll automatically sit straighter, have better balance, and develop a feel for what a comfortable and correct position feels like.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Point those toes in not out. You are to much on his neck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.