The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We board our horses with people we trust and who are completely honest.

This morning we got a call that our newest horse (6 months) was scared by a stray cow and he jumped the fence and cut his ankle - but there are no signs of him falling the cute is just an ordinary cut and will not have any harm. CHocky has never seen a cow before - so it isn't quite a surprise he spooked. Our boarder said it was a long horn.
What I was wondering, (and I think it is possible) if he would be able to jump that fence. I think he would be able to, but my dad says it would be impossible (FYI he doesn't know much but I still wanted to make sure)
The fence is about five foot and Chocky has never jumped anything before - so this would be his very first jump.
My mom and I jsut want to make sure that it could have been the fence and he jsut didn't get hurt by a person, although we doubt that because the boarders and very trustworthy and great friends.

I also wanted to know what would be a good height to start jumping on his back? The tallest I have jumped is about a foot, and that is the step going into the round pen because that is the only jump I have - but it is fun and I do it bareback with my horse!
Chocky is gaited and seven years old.
I most likely won't be jumping with him any time in the next few years - but just in case I do decide to do it earlier. It would only be for fun - no showing or anything that like.
With my horse I would like to start slowly getting higher though.

So
1. Is t possible for a horse to jump its very first fence at five foot and make it over?
2. What is a good height to start jumping at with any horse?
3. How should you gradually raise the jumping height and how long should you stay at that height before moving on?

Thanks so much!

Registered
Definitely possible for a horse to jump a fence that high even if he's never jumped before. It's a bad habit some of them get into- so keep an eye on him and you might have to raise the fence or add hot wire if he starts doing it on a regular basis.

Starting jumping, you basically want to jump as low as you can with them actually jumping over it. When I started my horse he would just trot really big over them until they got to about 14-16" and he realized that it was easier to jump and that's what I actually wanted him to do. This was on the longe line, which I highly recommend doing before jumping under saddle. It gives the horse a chance to figure out what to do with himself over jumps before adding in the weight and balance of a rider.

As for progressing to higher jumps, take it slow. Stick to ~2' and under for a while until you and the horse have a chance to figure out how to take the jumps in a relaxed, confident, and correct manner.

Reactions: amberly

Registered
Oh believe me, they can...and as you found out...WILL! Ask me how I know xD

I agree about keeping an eye on him now though, it definitely can become a habit. My SCRAWNY (barely 14hh on a good day) filly was being chased by a bigger mare and cleared a 4 1/2 foot fence with room to spare one day- and proceeded to jump two more times just because she could once she realized it was possible. We had to start stalling her because the fence isn't mine.

Reactions: Sharpie

Registered
Yes, it is possible for a horse to jump 5 feet his first time.

I was free lunging a gelding that was a year and a half old. He was a bit bored, and I saw him eyeing the five foot walls of the round pen. I saw him start to trot towards it and I tried to stop him. But, nooooo, he jumped right out from a trot.

His price went way up when he did that....LOL! He was the son of the horse I showed (in my usual avatar) and jumping was in the blood of all of his offspring.

We need a photo of this rabbit!!

Registered
Also, since you mentioned the horse is only 6 months old now, I would wait until he's at least 3+ to start doing trotpoles and maybe some tiny crossrails. From what I've hurt it's bad for them to jump too much before they're done growing. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert)

Registered
Luce, I think OP meant they've had this horse for 6 months now. This horse is 7yo, I read it wrong the first time too.
But you are correct in the information you gave :)

And OP, yes, definitely possible as everyone else has said. My gelding prefers to go under the fences though, that's a laugh and a half to watch.

Registered
I will just point out that even if a horse gets into a habit (a bad one!) of jumping 5ft fences, that doesn't mean that you should miss out any of the steps in his jump training.

As you have already seen, he didn't jump this fence successfully because he managed to cut his leg on the way over.

And, jumping when scared without a rider is a totally different skill from jumping with a rider on board.

The best jumpers are the ones that have extensive training over smaller jumps teaching them the skills to successfully master the bigger ones without injury.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thank you!
And we have had Chocky for six months, he is seven years old. Sorry if that was a bit confusing!!

But do you think that he might start jumping it more? I mean He is the horse that tries to please you and even when he is confused he might try to do what he thought you asked. Not that that might make a difference.

Registered
at 7 months, our gelding jumped and cleared a 4'6" solid wood wall. his neck was hanging over it as well. He just went up and over without and hesitation or trouble.

so yes, its possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Registered
Yep, entirely possible... My horse jumped a metre forty over the fence a while back, and the highest he had jumped up until then was 40 cm, as he is only 4. :)

Registered
My horse did this same thing a few months ago. Jumped the gate from a standstill for no particular reason. He also didn't quite clear it and had a few scraped on a leg to show for it.

I currently only jump up to 2'6" on him, but it's due to my current limitations, not his. Horse need to be started over lower stuff and taught related distances, lengthening and shortening their strides between fences, and how to use themselves properly over the fences. The more you can teach them at the lower levels in terms of foot work and striding, the better.

Registered
That's how I found out my old QH mare was a jumper at heart. I caught it on video too. It's possible. Trust me. It was hot wire that she cleared too. Like come on mare.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha! Well, Chocky won't be jumping anytime soon. Instead my horse Brisco and I are jumping! He has never jumped before (like real jumping) in his 22 year old life, and he is pretty dang good at it!!
I'm not sure if we will enter in the eventing and cross country though this month. I might wait till the one in May comes so we have enough time to prepare. But even so it's only for fun! haha!!

Registered
seen a two year old appaloosa clear a 3" stall door because she wanted out, watched a 2 month old mustang foal jump 4" and I've seen a yearling clear 5' fence when it was annoyed.

Its possible. I've seen a brahma mix cow jump a solid 8' gate from a standstill. Mean little cow, maybe 5-600lb, but cleared 8' without touching it. Couldn't believe it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.