The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious what other people think about my position. I haven't ever really given a picture to anybody outside my barn and told them to critique it. In that light, please don't be too hard on me! ;) Anyway, I have a decent picture of myself jumping from yesterday. It was just a crossrail.

I know my arms look weird and try as I might I can't seem to let them go in front of me a little and it bugs me! I am also jumping forward a little I think.

sorry about my expression, haha! I make the dumbest faces when I jump sometimes.

I just found this one too and it's terrible quality but what the heck.

and is it just me or does my head and neck like.. come up when I jump? It looks terrible, lol :(

AND, on to the flat! I'm better at that haha.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Over fences: open up you hip angle a bit more to better keep you lower leg under you. Open up your shoulders, as if you have a pretty bra to show off as my trainer used to tell me lol, it will help your release over the jump and help you back. Maybe drop your sturrups a hole? Seems like your knee is almost over your knee flap? Bring your elbows in toward your sides and you will better be able to fallow with your horses movement as well as release. You look tense through the arm? Both flat pictures at least, sexing jump pic your lower leg is way to bihind you, no support! Good luck, besides the minor things you look great!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tips! Actually, my friend kept yelling at me to loosen up my arms when she was taking pictures yesterday so that's one thing I need to work on! :) My shoulders get kind of stiff too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try to keep your toes in a bit more too. And in the first picture the one where you're just hopping over that X do a smaller 2 point. Your butt should only be a few inches out of the saddle unless you're jumping the big boys the 2 points in the rest of the pictures look pretty good though!!. i struggle with smaller 2 points also! you are looking good up there i also agree with the shoulder and elbow stiffness and such

·
Registered
323 Posts
picture 1: in the last picture, that's the position you should have in the first picture over the small x rail, but with a release. instead of propping yourself up on his neck you should be more upright in the position. straighten your back and use your core stomach muscles to hold yourself up. elbows in, tongue in LOL

Picture 2: elbows in, legs forward

Picture 3: are you suppose to be in a forward position?? if not sit back. if so bend elbow

Picture 4: elbows in but great other then that. one question....does the saddle fit?? looks off in this picture that it's lifting off the back and tipping forward.

not sure what the standing martingale is for but alot say it's a fashion thing, some say coz it's there....dono, only use them in polo x in australia and would be shot down in flames if anyone wore one jumping....must be an american thing?? - no disrespect

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not qualified to critique your jumping but one suggestion I do have to help you relax your face is to exhale over the jump. So take a deep breath on the 2 or so strides approaching the jump and then as the horse takes off, simply do a steady exhale. Be sure you don't hold your breath! If you can see my face in my avatar I look very focused because, well, 1) I'm a bit chicken and 2) I'm focusing on exhaling so that I don't hold my breath. Other pictures of me show my face all squirly!

Now, I may be overreacting here but sticking your tongue out is a recipe for disaster. In an accident, even a minor one, you could bite down on your tongue. Really don't want that to happen!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the tips! I have a tendency to overjump things ^-^;; Trying to fix that! I also think a lot of no stirrup work is in my near future to help strengthen my core.. fun times! lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.