The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just curious about weight limits on ponies for sj. He is around 13 2, typical welsh section c build. Adults who ride ponies could you please tell me your experiences at shows??
Also would my height be ok I'm around 5ft 6.

·
Administrator
36,818 Posts
You appear to be based in the UK, where I'm not aware of any weight limit for riders jumping horses or ponies but individual shows could have their own blanket rule in place, using horse welfare reasons, where they usually adopt the 20% guideline.

Height specific classes for ponies tend to be for Junior riders only, some shows do run jumping classes for adults on ponies but generally speaking, you'd be entering in classes aimed at horses.

A 13.2 can cope with the heights and spreads at the lower levels of horse jumping classes but no more because the distances aren't set up for smaller ponies

At 5ft 6 you'd be pushing it for jumping anything under 14.2 - you're going to sit 'top heavy' out of the saddle - unless most of your height is in your legs.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I'm 5'5 and 115 pounds, and my Pony is 13'2 and very stocky. He jumps up to 2'6 with his trainer, who is my sized. I am not as good of a jumper and haven't jumped 2' with him yet. He enjoys his work and does well at it. His trainer doesn't think he will get to jumping three feet, which is fine by me.

If he's ridden by the trainer, he can handle the spreads in simple courses. He's never going to be a top-level competitor, though. Which again is totally fine by me.

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
Ponies can not handle horse sized courses of jumps...it's unfair of the rider to expect that of their mount.
As has been discussed before on many threads contained on this forums archives, size of rider, ability of rider absolutely impacts what the horse/pony can do and with success or not.
If you are a top heavy and taller rider, sorry but my feeling is you put your animal at a disadvantage and out of that fine balance control they must have to get themself and your weight which is not 100% stationary over a fence safely.
I look to put my horse at a successful starting point by not top-loading the animal if jumping.
I'm about your height, a little more than you weigh....
I would not expect a animal under 14 hands to carry me on trails forget over jumps whether in a show or on a trail course knowingly...
15 hands for me is a minimum I get astride, with the exception of my friends 14 hand Paso who we do nothing but flat with a bit of gaiting and much walking.
I do not like the feeling of a stub for a neck seen...
To me when the head and neck are that short and suddenly that animal is expected to carry my full upper body height and weight that dangles far above his ears....😟
I'm not setting me up for a failure nor the animal up for that either. :cautious:
🐴....

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
You also have to look at where you carry your weight. If you are bust heavy then you're at a bigger disadvantage than a female that is bottom heavy when it comes to height of animal. Add in jumping and you're asking for trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts