The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love some advice, just dont be to harsh :) We havent jumped in 2 months and have lost my position. and I know im OVER releaseing, but before I wouldnt release at all and would catch her in the mouth.. now I need to find the middle of the two. I also need to stay in 2 point a little longer.

She does know how to continue cantering after the jump, honestly I was just being lazy and not asking for it. It probably would have been smoother if she did but oh well! If you look at the video I have called *one of those days* you can clearly see she knows how.

Again, advice would be awesome! Just dont be to harsh, we can jump better then this once we get back into it. Shes hardly been ridden much in 2 months as well [these aren't excuses just the truth]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't worry about falling apart in 2 months. we have all done this at one time or another. From what I see in your video, your center of balance is off. I would recommend doing some lunge line work with a friend or trainer and removing your reins from the equation until your balance is on. This will ensure that you are not using your hands to compensate. Usually a few times on the lunge and over the jump will tell you a lot about your position. Then once you are back to yourself and your leg is under you again, you can attach the rein and start very lightly to use contact for control and helping your horse balance. The key is that your lunge circle be large enough for your horse to be comfortable so that you can work on you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm having a hard time figuring out if you are jumping with a saddle or without one, and if you are jumping with a saddle what kind you are jumping in.

Part of your problem is you are in a chair seat, you have your leg braced in front of you and you are sitting on your but. Get your leg underneath you and sit on your crotch. Shorten your stirrups (if you are riding with a saddle) and really sink your weight into your heels. Since you say you've been riding bareback the last 2 months it would probably be a good idea to do a lot of half seat/two point practice, really getting your core strong before you get back into jumping.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is a saddle there. Lol I noticed I was riding more like I do when im bareback. The saddle is a AP wintec. Its always given me problems with me seat.

I would do Lunge work if i had something there to do it. When ever I go to teh barn theres usually no one there that would be able to do it for me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I dont have any advice but when I first watched the video I thought you were jumping over the big barrel thats in front of the camrea lol!

·
Registered
289 Posts
. Get your leg underneath you and sit on your crotch. Shorten your stirrups (if you are riding with a saddle) and really sink your weight into your heels. .
Sitting on the crotch isn't going to make her more balanced, it's going to take her off her balance point. If I am correct that's a wintec saddle right? I have never been a fan of wintecs because they don't put you in the right position easily. If anything bracing in general of your legs will make your legs come forward.

Doing two-point excercize (sorry to early to spell) would help and also even riding with no stirrups will help you find your true balance spot and then experiment with where your stirrups are and how low or high they are. THat will have have an impact on where your leg sits

In essence, it's probably better to have too much release than none ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Practice your two-point at all three gaits, it will help to strengthen your leg and get it underneath you. When you are jumping, push your hands into her neck and even grab some mane so you dont have to worry about catching her in her mouth. Do you have a coach? If not, it would be worth getting one so they can tell you what to do. And dont let her stop after the fence! Keep her going!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
for every pound you move forward you have to move one back.

you approach the jump in a chair seat & then feel unbalanced so you throw your hands forward, but then to balance that out your body falls back over the fence. so thats counter productive ! putting more weight on your pubis & less on your seat bones will help you get your leg back underneath you. there is no reason anyone has to approach a small fence on flat even ground sitting on their back pockets =]

i also want to add that i do see improvement from your first jump of the day to your last ! =] it does suck when youve had time off & then you start working again & everything seems so much harder

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey you really don't look that bad. Your bareback work has probably helped you in a way, as you have a nice, balanced seat and you leg really is pretty good. To work on strengthening your legs even more, I would do lots of no-stirrup work, especially posting trot with no stirrups. The 2 most important issues I see with your positions is 1) You need to get your heels down. Having your heels down anchors your entire leg and keeps your leg in place, especially over the jump. There's no trick to getting better about this other than constantly reminding yourself to do it until it become second nature (for some folks, it's easier for them to think of it as toes up, than heels down, think of it however it works best for you). 2) It is wonderful that you are releasing, as that is so important for your horse. However, you are simply throwing your hands in front of you. This is NOT incorrect b/c it results in a big loopy rein, that's fine. It's wrong b/c your hands cannot support your body this way and b/c it's hard for your hands to be steady and consistent this way. Instead, as you release, slide your hands up your horses mane and press them into her neck. This way, you can support your upper body and can keep your hands a bit steadier as your getting your balance and confidence back over jumps. At first, I'd also recommend grabbing mane to help you remember to keep your hands by her neck AND also insures you don't grab your horse's mouth if you get left behind.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

extremely helpful! :D

I've avoided no stirrup work in saddle as much as possible LOL I guess its time to get going on that.

I know the saddle is deffinately getting in my way, Ive never been able to hold my position well as I could in my old saddle so its been a challenge there as well.

Im gonna be riding the horse im training for a friend today and he has the perfect gaits to practice 2 point and no stirrup work with so I can start that already! :)

Im glad Chance was so willing to continue going over that jump for me. Usually shes very: "okay I did it once.. why do it again?" So I was just happy to get that good positive attitude from her :) Ill start working on getting her going again after the jump again as well!

Thanks again everyone REALLY helpful!

Just wanted to add: Tuesday I may have a friend come down and watch me and maybe give me a few pointers in person as well! Ill keep all your advice in mind. This will be fun to see a before and after :)

This is what my position was 3-4 months ago. No release but I think I was more balenced. Thats the most recent picture I had.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
OH MY GOSH! your giving me saddle sore from just loooking at that picture!! haha i cant imagine riding in shorts..... OOOwee that would give me saddle sore right away :p

you do look a lotmore balanced in that pic. cute horse too :)

ahh im still thinking abotu that sadle sore.... haha i got it once in my life when i was 7, i am careful not to ever get it again! haha

good luck in your jumping :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol! It wasnt the most comfortable ride ;) But once you figure out how to post/move just at the right time it doesnt pinch or hurt as bad lol!

Thanks :) Its the same horse in the video, just shes extremely out of shape and lazy in that video LOL! Shes got a lot of work to do :p

I appriciate all these great replies :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sitting on the crotch isn't going to make her more balanced, it's going to take her off her balance point.
ORLY?! I find that funny and strange you would say that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i didnt read what others say i didnt think you looked that bad but if your horse was more engaging i think the jump would of been smoother - her head was down and she didnt look ready if you shorten your reins a bit and push her forward and collected i think that would of helped JMO and I dont know too much about jumping lol!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yeah I deff think that if Chance continued to move it would have gone more smoothly.

Tomorrow im getting lesson type things from my friend whos a jumper, hopefully she can point things out as im doing. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.