The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how common it is in lessons. :wink: I started taking jumping lessons fairly recently (just about 3 months), and jumping with one hand, one stirrup or closed eyes is part of the exercise we just started at the last lesson. I have to say jumping with free hand (hopefully will progress to both) and with closed eyes is lots of fun - I really liked that, with one stirrup (which I'm sure will be no stirrups at all eventually) is quite tough though. Any other crazy exercises one can share? :D

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I've done them all.

But only on quiet horses which have solid training - school masters and I wouldn't go jumping one metre with my eyes closed. Horses don't always jump and they could spook or anything.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any to share but that exercise sounds like a very good way to learn how to really feel the horse.
You are right. Especially the one with the closed eyes - you can feel every movement really good. I'd never risk doing it on my own greenie, but that's why I learn on lesson horses at the moment. :)

Reactions: Back2Horseback

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But only on quiet horses which have solid training - school masters and I wouldn't go jumping one metre with my eyes closed. Horses don't always jump and they could spook or anything.
We did 3 fences in row (not big though, just couple feet). I completely agree about solid horses though.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I did lots and lots of gymanstics with no stirrups and no reins; and also with closed eyes, and I did similiar exercises with students.

We has a lot of fun with the no hands - I would have them do hands on head, hands on shoulders, hands on hips, airplane arms, etc.

The craziest version of this that I ever did (NOT RECOMMENDED) was an instructor back in the early 70's who had the class pass their helmets around their backs over each element of the gymnastic. This was back when helmets were still mostly decorative and didn't have safety harnesses. The interesting thing is that it worked very well. Having to really *think* about passing the helmet completely prevented riders from stiffening/anticipating the jumps.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The craziest version of this that I ever did (NOT RECOMMENDED) was an instructor back in the early 70's who had the class pass their helmets around their backs over each element of the gymnastic. This was back when helmets were still mostly decorative and didn't have safety harnesses. The interesting thing is that it worked very well. Having to really *think* about passing the helmet completely prevented riders from stiffening/anticipating the jumps.
I doubt you are even allowed to ride in lesson now without the helmet on. Lol!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I have enough problems trying to jump WITH stirrups, reins and eyes closed.. if I did that I'd need to book a bed in A&E haha!

If I could find a horse, who was a teacher, rather than a greenie, and a patient instructor I'd give it another shot.

Still going to find someone in Spring to jump Duffy for me though, reckon it would be a BAD idea for me to do it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my old trainer used to make us go through a grid with eyes closed, no stirrrups, and no reins. with our hands we would have to pretend to pull a rope through our hands, hand over hand -if that makes sense, i forget what she called it ! a lady i jumped with wanted me to jump with no girth on, but i said no, i think thats crazy !

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have enough problems trying to jump WITH stirrups, reins and eyes closed.. if I did that I'd need to book a bed in A&E haha!

If I could find a horse, who was a teacher, rather than a greenie, and a patient instructor I'd give it another shot.

Still going to find someone in Spring to jump Duffy for me though, reckon it would be a BAD idea for me to do it.
Duffy, from my experience the progress truly depends on instructor, not so much on horse. So if you find a good eventing or jumping instructor I'm positive you could do it. :) My dressage trainer while she jumped too years ago told me on spot that she won't teach me jumping, because it's not her specialty. I'm taking lessons with the eventing instructor (who is very much like my dressage trainer in her teaching and approach, so it works for me).

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Duffy, from my experience the progress truly depends on instructor, not so much on horse. So if you find a good eventing or jumping instructor I'm positive you could do it. :) My dressage trainer while she jumped too years ago told me on spot that she won't teach me jumping, because it's not her specialty. I'm taking lessons with the eventing instructor (who is very much like my dressage trainer in her teaching and approach, so it works for me).

You have NO idea lol, every time I jump I freeze.. even if the horse jumps well, I generally fall off because I've frozen from fright :lol:

I'll look in to it when it comes, going to free jump her first to assess what she does ( I am not getting if she's a nutter) and see how we go... even talking about it makes me feel sick to my stomach!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have NO idea lol, every time I jump I freeze.. even if the horse jumps well, I generally fall off because I've frozen from fright :lol:
I'm still telling you the good instructor will make you to overcome this. No kidding. I was very afraid to jump when I started in Fall. Because of the bad experience in past (and I did jump like a sack of potato too). The instructor keeps your mind occupied and focused on something else so your body just relaxes/follows. See, that's the difference between the good instructor and (well) not so good. :wink:

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'm still telling you the good instructor will make you to overcome this. No kidding. I was very afraid to jump when I started in Fall. Because of the bad experience in past (and I did jump like a sack of potato too). The instructor keeps your mind occupied and focused on something else so your body just relaxes/follows. See, that's the difference between the good instructor and (well) not so good. :wink:

If I could find the horse, I'd have a couple of trainers I would jump to use- its just finding a horse, none at our place REALLY jump, as in they're difficult and either too progressed for me, or will most likely take the micheal.. my farrier jumps just below PSG and has offered to teach if I can find a horse.. his is a little buger haha.

We'll see what the future brings.. thanks Val :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When I rode HUS ALONG time ago, my instructor made me jump with no reins and irons. She made me post without irons and she would put paper plates under my knees and tell me not to let them fall. She also put my horse on a lunge line and made me post with no irons and arms out at an extended trot. Man it got me in shape! She focused a lot on balance.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
My mom was my instructor and extra tough on me (hated her for it then, thank her now 20 years later), I wanted to jump something awful. My mom said yes, but you have to be able to do it bareback first. I think she thought I might give up on the idea but she was wrong so I learned that way. I've not jumped bb in 10 years, I think Missy & I shall set up a couple cross rails in the indoor this afternoon:wink:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
My mom was my instructor and extra tough on me (hated her for it then, thank her now 20 years later), I wanted to jump something awful. My mom said yes, but you have to be able to do it bareback first. I think she thought I might give up on the idea but she was wrong so I learned that way. I've not jumped bb in 10 years, I think Missy & I shall set up a couple cross rails in the indoor this afternoon:wink:
I love jumping bareback! Or, riding bareback in general!! I actually did it today, don't tell my coach though - I was meant to be doing some dressage schooling... Opps?

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Young cavalry trainees had to learn to ride like that. The horses were schoolmasters and knew there jobs. The trainees were eventually taken out of the arena and expected to do cross-country blindfolded. It was to teach them to trust the horse. That would be scarey.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I can imagine just one stirrup being harder than no stirrups! Sounds scary closing your eyes though, I'd still like to try no hands to build up my balance :)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds scary closing your eyes though
It's surprisingly nice (on reliable horse of course). We started doing it already on 4th or 5th lesson. Helps tremendously to feel the horse movement and when it about to leave the ground.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.