The Horse Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
yeah the there isn't too much of a D there, almost just a plain ring, I think that was part of the problem, and the full cheek should take are of that part. Think of (as an in general) the mouthpiece the horse gets to pick based on what he likes and the cheeks/function of the bit you get to pick based on your needs.

·
Administrator
35,835 Posts
Well, no offense, you also have not had Mav...
I am listening, and I can tell you when I'm working with him 1. I actually do gently tug and release, and if he doesn't do as I ask I do it again. In the movements he decides to be stubborn, all those little tugs add up when he's chomping on the bit because he's agitated that he is confused and so on, and eventually the bit gets screwed up. Especially if we work on one direction for a while and then the other a while.
I have had dozens of 'Mav's', he is not unique in any way
He's a slow learner and the more pressure you put on him the more stressed and difficult he's going to become
If you're pulling the bit so hard its coming through his mouth you're putting too much pressure on him and all he's going to do is resist it
When he gets to the point that he's as agitated as you describe then that's when you need to take a step back and do something else with him to defuse the situation
Can you lead him in circles off the left/right rein?
Is this problem happening when you're riding him?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I have had dozens of 'Mav's', he is not unique in any way
He's a slow learner and the more pressure you put on him the more stressed and difficult he's going to become
If you're pulling the bit so hard its coming through his mouth you're putting too much pressure on him and all he's going to do is resist it
When he gets to the point that he's as agitated as you describe then that's when you need to take a step back and do something else with him to defuse the situation
Can you lead him in circles off the left/right rein?
Is this problem happening when you're riding him?
Brings to mind the "if you're frustrated the horse has been frustrated for 10 minutes" (works with anything).

Jaydee I think it is a huge issue that this is also happening from a stop, the OP is trying to combine cues (go/turn)

41 - 43 of 43 Posts