The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just bought my first bit... did I make a mistake?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ShirtHotTeez 
#1 ·
Hey there, I recently bought my first horse, CJ. He is 15.2 and quite calm but affectionate. The people I bought it from practice some not-so-horseman-like behavior, but I did not know that at the time of purchase. They had him in a Tom Thumb, and I have heard virtually nothing good about TTs. He doesn't protest too much, but I think it's partly due to his own nature, and mostly due to me using terribly soft hands to try and keep the pain out of his mouth.

But anyways, long story short, I got a leather bridle, very thick, good condition, and it came with an Argentine bit. It was $80, and I still have the tags, so I can take it back if necessary. I've heard many good things about the Argentine, and I figured that it would just be a bit more comfortable than the Tom Thumb.

I am planning to use the snaffle rein ring and see if he really does need a slightly stronger bit, because I don't feel that he does, but if he does need a little extra and if he's getting away from me, I'll switch to the curb rein ring.

Thanks in advance!!

#5 ·
Update!

I went to the barn today, very excited to try it out on him, but I think that there may have been too many factors to tell if he loved it or hated it.

First: It was out of my routine to come on a weekday, I'm a student, so I usually can't make it out during the week. He was a little defiant and wanted to go back into the pasture, but after I popped him in the butt with my palm and lunged him he seemed to be paying attention.

Second: It was stormy, and he was a bit distracted by the thunder.

He seemed much more responsive, I barely had to give him a cue to turn or halt. I tried leg yields and those were also much better with this bit. He did toss his head a bit and try to pull a little, but I'm not sure if it was uncomfortable, or he was just being stubborn because he thought it was his day off.

I used the curb rein ring instead of the snaffle rein ring for the ride.

I will update when I see him again this weekend, and tell you if he does any better or any worse.

Thanks again!:gallop:

#6 ·
The pics didn't load for me.

Sounds like you did ok. Horse needs to know you are boss any day you turn up. You will get a better idea of the bit when you are not contending with thunder, which will make a lot of horses jumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.