The Horse Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is a beautiful horse! He looks like a Tenessee Walker! And looks like a lot of fun to ride. :)

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
That is a beautiful horse! He looks like a Tenessee Walker! And looks like a lot of fun to ride. :)
Hahaha! Nope! He's a Percheron/paint cross. Dam was a big ol' 16.3-17hh Percheron and sire was a 15.1hh paint. He stands right about 16.1hh at the withers and 16.2hh at the butt right now.

He is a TON of fun...when he isn't deciding to act his age. :p

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Okay, they're just crappy cell phone pics, but I got a couple of pics of Aires after I worked on deshedding him today. I swear I got enough hair off him to make a mini!

This was just from ONE side of him...and it's just what I managed to pull off the shedding rake before it fell off. There was literally TWICE as much on the ground! :shock:

And we're starting to look more like a horse and less like a woolly mammoth!

Now his coat looks like a normal horse's winter coat. lol

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Hes looking great, he looks enormous too!! Not in the bad way either ;)

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I'm just glad he's looking more like a horse and less like a woolly mammoth. lol He does look much...taller...and definitely leaner, than he did before. I seriously thought he'd lost weight a week or so ago when he REALLY started shedding out. I do hope he keeps his feathers, though. They are sooooo handy and I like the way he looks with them.

Reactions: csimkunas6

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks, CW! I love that he looks like a Percheron (build-wise) with the paint coloring. Especially in that first pic.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
PICTURE TIME!!!

Had SUCH an amazing day today and got pics of it! Had a great ride in the arena and then Aires got his first ever full-on soaped up bath on the wash rack!!

Lunging...such a handsome boy!

In the arena (disclaimer...I was having to fight with him for the first five minutes, as he thought he could just ignore the bit and my leg cues...he soon figured out that wasn't the case...hence the reason my hands are wonky sometimes and my leg cues are over-exaggerated...oh, and my stirrups are new, this was the very first time I'd ever ridden in them, and the necks need to be trimmed down 'cuz they're WAY too wide and slide all over the place):

Drafty butts drive me nuts!

I don't know why, but I love this pic lol

Yes, that's a big ol' grin on my face!

Love it! We're both concentrating sooooooo hard!

MUCH better!

Kinda fuzzy, but apparently he has decided that the trail bridge is going to eat him now

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
"Right, we're gonna trot now. You getting this?"

Somehow we started half trotting and half side-passing away from the fenceline lol

Trotting back the other way! He did so good! All it took was a squeeze, a cluck and the word "trot" and he took off at a nice, medium trot! And yes, I fail at posting. Stupid stirrups.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Bath time!! Standing there like an old pro! You'd never know that last year just getting near him with a hose was a battle. And forget about getting him on the wash rack. Wasn't gonna happen.

I know his halter is too far down on his nose. He sat back on his lead when he saw the soap running across the cement and stretched the halter a little.

Washing the evil tail...soooooooo thick and coarse and apparently VERY water resistant! And we got photo bombed by CJ (my friend's arab gelding)!!

So CLEAN!

Look how WHITE he is!

So handsome!

Tried to capture the almost silvery sheen his white took on as it dried, but failed.

Reactions: palominolover

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
What a nice clean boy-so glad you had such a good day with him!
Thanks! The trainer commented on how blindingly white he was today...even after he'd been turned out for five hours and had undoubtedly rolled SEVERAL times. lol I just love how soft he is. Next time he gets a bath, we're working on his mane and trimming it up. Didn't realize how scraggly and yuck it was until he was all clean everywhere else. lol

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
VERY handsome boy. I LOVE his name :).
Thanks! His full name is Buenos Aires because his blaze in the shape of South America. We call him Aires (pronounced "Aries," like the Greek god of war), though.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Rode in the arena today. Someone was being incredibly testy and just a general pill. Wanted to go for a real ride, but kind of glad we couldn't (my friend's gelding threw a shoe day before yesterday, so they couldn't have gone anyway) because he was being so obnoxious.

Without further ado, here's us!

Kind of weaving the poles lol

Little monster was fighting me so hard right here when I asked him to stop

Trying to get him to turn to the right...he was fine turning left, but right was a whole different story!

"I don't wanna...you can't make me!"

Trotting!

My fat butt lol

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Drafty butts!

Laughing at something silly he did

Trying to get him to turn right again

Standing like a gentleman

This made me laugh...I gave him a leg cue to go left...and he started trotting!

Good trotting pic!

Trotting and asking him to slow down

Posting...kinda

Trotting across the arena

Asking him to stop

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Awww...my boy!

I really like this pic!

Monster head!