The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce my new guy Hawk, soon to be known as Vex. He's a little over 3 year old appaloosa gelding.
Currently Im just looking at having him be a trail horse. But he thought has crossed my mind once he's totally mature to get him into barrels or cowboy/western dressage to give him a "proper" job.
He's the first appy I've ever owned so any input or experiences are greatly appreciated 馃檪

Registered
Just wanted to introduce my new guy Hawk, soon to be known as Vex. He's a little over 3 year old appaloosa gelding.
Currently Im just looking at having him be a trail horse. But he thought has crossed my mind once he's totally mature to get him into barrels or cowboy/western dressage to give him a "proper" job.
He's the first appy I've ever owned so any input or experiences are greatly appreciated 馃檪
View attachment 1114911 View attachment 1114912
He is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations on him 馃グ
I think a proper western horse would suit him along with trail riding. Good luck !

Registered
Very pretty boy. Can I ask a stupid question probably for an appaloosa were are his spots? Don't laugh at me.

Registered
There are solid colored appys out there 馃槉
Obviously not as easily recognized as their spotted counterparts.

Registered
The best show horse and all around horse, I have ever known was an Appaloosa. He did equitation, pleasure, English & Western, jumping, barrel racing, carriage driving and WON EVERY THING! Breed shows and open, unbeatable! Only time he ever lost an open class was in stock horse halter, my stallion won, he was reserve. Honestly, I think the Appaloosa gelding should have won, Big Red By Del, best horse ever. Even warmbloods couldn't compete against him in English and jumping. I knew his owners and him since he was a 4 year old, he died of colic as a 20 year old. He as an anomaly, truly. That's my experience with Appaloosas.

Registered
Very pretty boy. Can I ask a stupid question probably for an appaloosa were are his spots? Don't laugh at me.
sometimes Appaloosa horses are solid color, usually bay. It happens.
If he is registered, you should check out the Chief Joseph Trail Ride, for all appys only.

Registered
He is beautiful! Like some of the other posters mentioned, appaloosas are extremely versatile. Just enjoy your time with him and see where life takes you guys!

Registered
I do like your boy, Vex. I am fond of a larger horse, and I do love his build. He has good bones and love the slope of his shoulder and the slope of his rump as he will be able to get his rear legs up underneath him. He will be able to perform well. He still has the colt appearance where his legs appear to be longer, so I would be thinking he has more growing to do. He reminds me of my colt who is 2 yrs, and a bay with a sock and a coronet in the back but has no white on his face. It is funny how when I was younger, I loved the chrome on the horse; now I like a solid colored horse as well. I really prefer no white on their face. I bet he makes you a super nice horse. If you ride Western, I can see that you will have people asking you to price him often as they look for a heavier boned horse for cowboy events. He is such a nice horse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts