The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just wondering..

898 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  maura 
#1 ·
This is an APHA mare named Ima Frosty Feather (Feather), and she is trained in western, but over the summer i jumped her. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of her as a jumping horse. Oh, and this is the first time she had ever jumped.
*Excuse my position* :oops:

See less See more
#3 ·
One thing I have noticed is that she is overjumping quite alot. Otherwise, I can't see anything bad...she looks pretty good. She's also got her legs nicely over the jumps. :grin:

I'm sure that if you ever wanted to try jumping, I would say go ahead and try it. See how she goes, and then you will be able to tell whether she will be a good jumper. :wink:

#4 · (Edited)
Cute paint with a nice, willing attitude. The overjumping is a positive sign, and a good instinct in a green horse.

But her forearm is are not horizontal or above, and she's not folding her legs below the knee well at all. Her form is not dangerous, but she doesn't have what I'd consider to be a good front end. Her form can probably be improved since the willingness and athleticism are there.

Your form isn't exactly helping her. She needs more freedom to use her head and neck, so you need a bigger release. Since you're a fairly small rider, I can't truthfully say that your ducking down and laying on the neck is hindering her form, but it certainly can't *help* her tighten her front end.

What I would recommend is to get somebody to help you on the ground , and do some low gymnastics or grids. The reason why you need someone on the ground is to adjust striding for her and add elements to the grid so you don't have to get on and off. You want to work towards having her jump through the grid on loose reins and your concentrating on keeping your position steady.

I also can't emphasize the importance of ground lines when working with a green horse. Roll ground lines out from the base of the fence to a distance the same height of the fence on both sides to help her judge take off and jump round. In the first two photos there's a single ground line directly under the fence, which will encourage jumping in too close. In the third and fourth photo, the rails are piled up on the off side - essentially you're jumping the jump backwards from the way it's set and encouraging her to misjudge take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.