The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go into this, I just want to preface it this, that Will is still going out during the day. He's just coming in for the night, now. His stall is around 15x15 if that matters. I just need something to occupy him when he's not sleeping. Other horses have salt licks or jolly balls. But I've heard that in the cold, salt isn't too appealing and he doesn't like playing with things - isn't curious enough to try as well.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Unless you have evidence he paces his stall or cribs, he doesn't need toys. He has a beautifully sized stall and goes out during the day, which is presumably every day?

My horses have come in at night, turned out during the day, as many horses on this forum are, and they don't get anything but water and enough hay to get them thru the night:)

One thing I won't do is under feed their hay. I am lucky to have two pretty neat senior geldings. I generally am able to take the previous night's leftover hay and put it in the run-stall for whenever they come up to the barn:)

Salt is not a toy, it's a necessity. I would give your horse salt block in his stall and of course he has to have water - heated water this time of year:).

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
You can still give him a salt lick, however hay is definitely your best bet to keep him busy, plus he will have forage that way, even better. You can get a slow feeding haynet (just make sure you hang it high enough so he can’t get his feet stuck!), or some people prefer to just put a bunch of hay in a corner of the stall. Either way, I think hay is your best bet. Since it’s just for the night, he shouldn’t have any problems with boredom.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Salt is not a toy, it's a necessity. I would give your horse salt block in his stall and of course he has to have water - heated water this time of year:).
100% agree with this...horses need salt year round free choice, how much and how often they partake of it.

One thing I will add about salt in a stall...
Invest in a safe salt block holder that holds the rectangular blocks averaging 1 pound.
Do not put it in the feed bin.
Red salt, the mineral blocks disintegrate when moistened...aka saliva/spit will have the salt block breaking apart and possibly causing your horse to stop eating their rations...
White salt is a bit less crumbly, but many horses object to salted rations and will not eat.
Just spend a few dollars and get a actual holder and block.
Then again, you can spend a ton more money for the Himalayan salt on a rope thing and get conked on the head yourself. :icon_rolleyes:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I do the himalayan salt on the rope. Our BO won't allow me to install the block holders, and he wanted me to put it in their feed bins. But I feed them soaked beet pulp with their ration balancer and any supplements mixed with that, so I definitely did not want that red block melting into their feed! I get like a 6 pound block of salt for about $10. Our horses are stalled far more than yours. Their stalls are 24 x 24 like a mare motel, with one of them being 12 x 24. They all get out for a little bit every day unless we don't make it to the barn which I hate, but it's our only option right now. They all have the salt and a jolly apple lick thing. But honestly the slow feed hay nets are the best thing for them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use a slow feed hay bag (not a net) that is hung very low, near the ground, to give my horse enrichment. That way, she has to "forage" for her hay. This occupies her time, plus she plays with the bag, too.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
This is a lease horse correct? The BO/Owner will have a say on feeding and I would expect have hay available unless he is put up late and fed early before turnout. He probably is just happy to sleep. Unless he is active throughout the night and acting like he needs something to occupy his time I really wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.