The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start keeping my grey mares long mane braided up, I perfer using little strips of electrical tape to secure the braids because it's a lot less damaging than rubber bands. I'm a little concerned that if some of the tape slips off while she's turned out she may accidentally eat it while grazing, but rubber bands fall off much easier. Maybe if I wrap it enough it won't slip off? I like her mane up to keep her neck cool under all of that hair. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I've seen people do that with long maned horses. They just braid it, fold it, and tape it. It comes off easy when you want it to but stays put when you want it to.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
The electrical tape slides off when you leave it in too long or the horse catches or rubs it out. You'll minimize the chances of it sliding out by washing and rebraiding regularly. I have had it slide out and fall where my horses eat and they eat around it.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of rubber bands you use but real braiding bands hold pretty tight and even tighter is bands used on braces, like humans teeth braces have.
I'm not into tape, the residue left behind...just no.
However, my biggest fear would be the horse catching a braid, rubbing a braid or if with other horses in play or grooming one grab and yank out it falls....now you have a gaping hole of no mane. :|

My horses have long, thick manes....
I prefer their mane loose and flowing free so it can be used as a fly deterrent, some sunburn protection...
I don't think they sweat any worse with the mane down and free-flowing long than my other horse with a medium length mane thinner by natural hair growth to what my neighbors horse who rubbed her mane out and now has a roached mane...all show sweat marked necks, none worse than the other though.
I absolutely can see my horse if I braided, he would have something happen and rip out a hunk...yea, no!
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
I've never had any luck with braids, maybe horses who live in stalls would be okay, but mine always rub them on trees. Two of my horses have long manes and I just leave them loose and condition them every so often.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
You want simple maintenance braids. My mare doesn't rub hers so i keep her braided quite often. I braid during the rainy season because she loves to roll if she even gets sprinkled on. It stays cleaner in dry weather so i don't need to braid unless it is unusually windy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts